Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:42 AM

244 posts, read 668,828 times

Advertisements

Hi ! Was wondering if anyone here (or you may know someone) who commutes from LI to New Jersey. I live in New Hyde park and am considering a job in Paramus. Not sure what the commute would be like (I guess it would be the GWB) was wondering if anyone can share their experience. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 09:46 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
Hi ! Was wondering if anyone here (or you may know someone) who commutes from LI to New Jersey. I live in New Hyde park and am considering a job in Paramus. Not sure what the commute would be like (I guess it would be the GWB) was wondering if anyone can share their experience. Thanks!
Oy, it would be a long one. I would think that your best bet would be to go Northern State to Cross Island to the Throgs Neck, make your way through the disasterous BX, take the GW. It's not far from the GW, but there will be traffic all the way. I would think at least an hour, plus tons of stress, wear and tear on the car, tolls, etc. Now, if you don't mind it...that's fine. You could also leave really early (like 6-7 AM) and try to ease the strain. There's a guy in NW Jersey that comes to Nassau at my office...leaves early, still take time, but at least it's not bumper to bumper the whole way.

You have to say...is it worth the effort, time away from home, possible stress, etc. If it is, people do worse that that, I bet.

Good luck.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:32 AM

Thanks GC Unless the salary is high enough I probably won't do it. I'll wait till the star trek transporter becomes reality

Old 03-03-2008, 10:39 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,193 times
My DH has to do a similar commute this week, just a bit closer than Paramus. I will post how long it takes him after he makes the trip.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
My DH has to do a similar commute this week, just a bit closer than Paramus. I will post how long it takes him after he makes the trip.

Thank You!

Old 03-03-2008, 11:17 AM

66 posts, read 246,983 times
I used to do that commute only from Bethpage to Oradell NJ(1999-2001). Thankfully it was only once a week. It took me about 65 to 90 minutes leaving at 6:00am... I did it under an hour quite a few times BTW. Back then there wasn't a good way to go. If you can leave early enough, Before 7am I think you can get from NHP to Paramus in an hour. It's under 30 miles depending on where you are.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:57 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
Thanks GC Unless the salary is high enough I probably won't do it. I'll wait till the star trek transporter becomes reality
To each their own, you know? Mayhe the bump would be worth the pain. Wait and see, I guess. Good luck with it. Now, Star Trek...they know how to commute.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:46 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
For a brief while , while he worked for The Jersey Journal, my Dad commuted from Manhasset to Hoboken via the LIRR and PATH. I am not sure where Paramus is in relation to that , though.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-03-2008, 06:04 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,396,188 times
My husband commutes from Huntington (we're near Centerport/Greenlawn) to Morris Plains. I'll have to ask him what parkways he takes (I know he takes the GWB most of the time) and how long it takes him to get there. My hubby is fortunate in that his position is flexible where it isn't required that he be there 5x a week, nor at a specific time.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:24 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
I drove from Northport to Livingston every day for nearly eighteen months. From New Hyde Park to the GW Bridge at 6:00 AM is about 30-45 minutes on most mornings. Once in New Jersey you can generally assume about one minute per mile as you're past the worst of the traffic. I think you can safely assume one hour in the morning. On the return leg you're looking at 90 minutes at best unless you're driving at 2:00 PM. There's no real way around the traffic during the PM drive.

It's a tough drive and if it's done every day will eventually wear you down. However if you do wind up doing it the trick on the morning drive is knowing when to take the Triborough versus the Throgs Neck. During the PM drive learn how to take Route 46 from the Turnpike to the GWB and then figure out whether to take the Cross Bronx versus the BQE versus the Bruckner.

Ultimately you've got to do what you have to if it means having a job but man I'd hate having to go back to a drive like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island