Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2017, 06:20 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I don't get why you keep repeating this question. No one said you can magically tell ones immigration status simply by sight, but there are factors that can certainly give you a very good idea. As has already been posted: 20 people living in a house in a community known to have a high population of illegals, cars with plates outside from other states is one example. Also LPRs and USCs don't tend to hang out at Home Depot at 6am in 20 degrees looking for a job either. Regardless it's ICEs job at that point to determine their status if they investigate. It's no different then suspecting a crime in your neighborhood and calling the police. Do you know for sure a crime is occurring? No but you still report it and let the cops do their job.
Additionally, you can measure things like the number of people detained and released at the border, or the amount of money sent back to their countries via remittances. The 11 million number comes from census numbers which are not only outdated but also wrongly assume that illegals will self-identify as illegals when polled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 07:34 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Additionally, you can measure things like the number of people detained and released at the border, or the amount of money sent back to their countries via remittances. The 11 million number comes from census numbers which are not only outdated but also wrongly assume that illegals will self-identify as illegals when polled.
There is nothing quite like rejecting facts and figures by relying on unquantifiable points that sound like they should be true but aren't necessarily so.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:34 AM

190 posts, read 152,598 times
Quote:
I don't get why you keep repeating this question. No one said you can magically tell ones immigration status simply by sight, but there are factors that can certainly give you a very good idea. As has already been posted: 20 people living in a house in a community known to have a high population of illegals, cars with plates outside from other states is one example. Also LPRs and USCs don't tend to hang out at Home Depot at 6am in 20 degrees looking for a job either. Regardless it's ICEs job at that point to determine their status if they investigate. It's no different then suspecting a crime in your neighborhood and calling the police. Do you know for sure a crime is occurring? No but you still report it and let the cops do their job.

there is no way to defend your prejudice. you're reporting people who are not committing any crimes. and you're reporting them based on what? their license plate? give me a break. if I needed help to move out of one home and into another, what's wrong with picking up a couple guys from Home Depot for a help? Illegals aren't hurting Home Depot's business. If anything it helps there business because customers know they can buy hardware and pick up help all in one shot. I would be more understanding if you were reporting illegal rentals. because that has more effect on property value than the amount of people living inside the property or the license plate of the car parked outside the property. how can you tell one neighborhood has a high amount of illegal immigrants vs another. you have to admit have a prejudged notion of what an illegal looks like. There are illegals from places other than South America and Central America that live amongst us. But the ones that don't look like you, you treat them different.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:17 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeWhyte View Post
there is no way to defend your prejudice. you're reporting people who are not committing any crimes. and you're reporting them based on what? their license plate? give me a break. if I needed help to move out of one home and into another, what's wrong with picking up a couple guys from Home Depot for a help? Illegals aren't hurting Home Depot's business. If anything it helps there business because customers know they can buy hardware and pick up help all in one shot. I would be more understanding if you were reporting illegal rentals. because that has more effect on property value than the amount of people living inside the property or the license plate of the car parked outside the property. how can you tell one neighborhood has a high amount of illegal immigrants vs another. you have to admit have a prejudged notion of what an illegal looks like. There are illegals from places other than South America and Central America that live amongst us. But the ones that don't look like you, you treat them different.
Are you seriously that dense or just brainless?? You think there are as many illegals in say Smithtown as there are in Brentwood? You know the town that has its own friggen El Salvador CONSULATE??? Please just stop with the nonsense and get real. Everyone knows the vast majority of illegals in this country are from poor third world nations particularly Mexico and Central America (on LI its mostly El Salvador, Hondurans, and Guatemalans) that is a FACT. They mostly live in low income areas that are ethnic enclaves IE Brentwood, sections of hempstead etc. This is FACT. If you want to stick your little snowflake head in the sand and pretend that some guy in Cold Spring Harbor is possibly as illegal as 20 people stuffed into a house in brentwood then be my guest and continue to live in LA LA land.

And yes they should be reported. If they crossed the border illegally to get here, then they have indeed committed a crime.

Quote:
how can you tell one neighborhood has a high amount of illegal immigrants vs another.
Seriously this quote is so insanely laughable I cant even. How do you know the sky is blue? How do you know the earth is round?

Last edited by peconic117; 02-21-2017 at 09:28 AM..

Old 02-21-2017, 09:45 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
My prediction is, the war on illegals is gonna go just as good as the war on drugs. Where there is a will there is a way. I wish we had a bright leader like Trudeau seems to be.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
There is nothing quite like rejecting facts and figures by relying on unquantifiable points that sound like they should be true but aren't necessarily so.
"Facts" like asking people if they're here illegally and expecting an honest answer. Mmm hmm. Now who's putting too much trust in our government?

Here's the report from Bear Sterns, which actually investigated the issue instead of relying on self-reporting census numbers:

http://www.steinreport.com/BearStearnsStudy.pdf

Quote:
The Census Bureau’s counting process for the migrant population has some shortcomings. According to our discussions with illegal immigrants, they avoid responding to census questionnaires. For this reason, the official estimates do not fully capture this group. The CPS, the Census Bureau, the Urban Institute, and the former INS (now part of the Department of Homeland Security) all use similar processes to determine the total number of immigrants, and which immigrants should be categorized as legal and illegal. In essence, this has created a circular equation that relies on a singular source of inaccurate statistics that gives the impression of independent, multiple verifications.

Based on several criteria, we believe that immigration is growing significantly faster than the consensus estimates:

1. Remittances
2. Housing permits in gateway communities
3. School enrollment
4. Cross border flows
Quote:
You're arguing a very pedantic point. When you call up to report, the ICE agent will ask you what your basis is for accusing them of being here illegally. "They're driving a crummy car" is not a basis. I have ironclad evidence for the people I've reported, so it wasn't an issue. But it's not like the storm troopers just show up where you tell them and cuff anyone that speaks Spanish - ICE opens an investigation to determine whether the accusation is true, and then acts accordingly.

There are indeed illegals from other places (a drop in the bucket compared to those of Hispanic or Asian origin). You have no basis for the claim that they are being treated differently other than your own desperation to label people as some kind of "-ist". But if they are (and that's a big if), perhaps it's because they assimilate more readily and don't regularly join gangs and commit crimes.

I think the real issue is that you don't want these people deported but you're afraid to say so.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
My prediction is, the war on illegals is gonna go just as good as the war on drugs. Where there is a will there is a way. I wish we had a bright leader like Trudeau seems to be.
Part of the war on illegals is to remove the will. Impose draconian punishments on those who employ illegals, cut off any benefits that they may receive (which is usually accomplished via the conduit of their anchor children), and they will go back home themselves. There's no similar way to remove the desire to do drugs, other than to perhaps improve the quality of society so chemical escapism is a less attractive option.

lol at Trudeau being bright. He's a halfwit, elected by emotional women who think he's handsome and have a sociopathic desire to import Muslims who want to stuff them in potato sacks.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:20 AM

190 posts, read 152,598 times
Quote:
Are you seriously that dense or just brainless?? You think there are as many illegals in say Smithtown as there are in Brentwood? You know the town that has its own friggen El Salvador CONSULATE??? Please just stop with the nonsense and get real. Everyone knows the vast majority of illegals in this country are from poor third world nations particularly Mexico and Central America (on LI its mostly El Salvador, Hondurans, and Guatemalans) that is a FACT. They mostly live in low income areas that are ethnic enclaves IE Brentwood, sections of hempstead etc. This is FACT. If you want to stick your little snowflake head in the sand and pretend that some guy in Cold Spring Harbor is possibly as illegal as 20 people stuffed into a house in brentwood then be my guest and continue to live in LA LA land.

And yes they should be reported. If they crossed the border illegally to get here, then they have indeed committed a crime.

Seriously this quote is so insanely laughable I cant even. How do you know the sky is blue? How do you know the earth is round?

My point was this... you're a prejudice. How can you look at a license plate and tell they are illegal or because they are 15 people living in a home, they are illegal. You victimized the poor because you know they wont tell the police. You go to their jobs and harass them, then call the cops on them when they are home. Makes you feel like a super hero don't it? Are you sure they were illegal or are they just homeless now because they were living in an illegal dwelling?

Old 02-21-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I think the real issue is that you don't want these people deported but you're afraid to say so.
Exactly. He should just say illegal immigration is A-ok with him and the US has no right to borders or any immigration control. At least he'd be honest then.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
My point was this... you're a prejudice. How can you look at a license plate and tell they are illegal or because they are 15 people living in a home, they are illegal. You victimized the poor because you know they wont tell the police. You go to their jobs and harass them, then call the cops on them when they are home. Makes you feel like a super hero don't it? Are you sure they were illegal or are they just homeless now because they were living in an illegal dwelling?

Lol what planet are you on seriously? Are you off your meds today? Go to their jobs and harass them? What are you even talking about??

Even if 20 people stuffed into a home in Brentwood weren't here illegally (yeah ok) they should still be booted out of said home and the slum lord arrested for massive safety violations. Its ILLEGAL to have 20 people living in a single family home some of which have basements subdivided into tiny closet sized apartments. Yes these things should be reported and aggressively enforced.

Check out the new DHS memos on immigration enforcement released today. Im sure it will just make your day. Enjoy!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...d-release.html

Heres an ultra liberal site if you dont like fox:

http://www.vox.com/2017/2/21/1465965...tention-asylum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island