Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 04:43 AM

116 posts, read 172,150 times

Advertisements

i deal with this everyday. don't shut off the main. keep the heat on, you don't have to go crazy, as hotkarl said 60 is fine. if you have any sinks along outside walls of the house make sure cabinets underneath are open so the heat will reach the supply lines. not a bad idea to leave a sink upstairs barely dripping if weatherman predicts a super cold spell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 05:20 AM

345 posts, read 338,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Minimum heat setting should be 65 degrees.......
lol I don't even set my heat to 65 when I'm home. I worked on plenty of beach houses in the winter time and the heat was set to 50-55 degrees. Never saw any issues.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:12 AM

731 posts, read 725,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
lol I don't even set my heat to 65 when I'm home. I worked on plenty of beach houses in the winter time and the heat was set to 50-55 degrees. Never saw any issues.
Maybe he has stock in Slomins or National Grid.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:49 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,483 times
Exclamation Fyi........

I tried that once. It was not in the winter. Not a good idea. Fortunately my brother-in-law was looking after the house. He found the burner, we have oil/hot water, making a strange noise so he just shut the burner from the switch. In my situation it seems that the zones require the water to be on to maintain the volume required. Or I have a leak somewhere.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:10 PM

75 posts, read 110,615 times
We just purchased a home (not yet moved in) where the old oil burner actually stopped working (won't fire), likely due to non-maintenance. We're looking to convert to gas anyway and didn't want to throw more money into it servicing the boiler. The heats been off for about 3 weeks now and no burst pipe yet. I did turn off the main water valve. Not a risk I would normally take but we're doing a gut reno anyway.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:13 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
I have a home in VT which I use throughout the year, but less frequently in winter. I turn the heat down to 58, turn off water at each the faucet in the house, but leave all the faucets opened. I turn off the hose bib but make sure that this is open. Toilets are turned off and then flushed. The dishwasher and washing machine water taps are turned off.

The only problem I have ever had was here in NY and it wasn't even in the cold weather. 1st time the plastic fitting between my sink water filter failed -- I came home from Columbus Day weekend to a flood. The second time the something in the toilet failed and water kept overflowing the bowl -- the float didn't rise and the water kept on pouring into and over the edge of the toilet for 5 hours at least.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:23 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Minimum heat setting should be 65 degrees.......
I take it from your user name you are in the business in some capacity. Why in heavens name would you say an unoccupied house should be heated to 65 degrees at a MINIMUM? Are you one of the folks who think you save on oil by keeping the thermostat higher? That's complete nonsense.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:02 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I take it from your user name you are in the business in some capacity. Why in heavens name would you say an unoccupied house should be heated to 65 degrees at a MINIMUM? Are you one of the folks who think you save on oil by keeping the thermostat higher? That's complete nonsense.
When heating oil was at $4+ a gallon 65 was the maximum!

Old 02-18-2017, 07:09 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
We never have done it and never had any issues.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:25 AM

147 posts, read 433,692 times
If all I turn off is the water main and nothing else, does that hurt the boiler and hot water heater? I think the answer is no as long as those devices are not completely drained?

Pinhole leaks in copper pipes appear too common these days and if nothing would break due to water main being off, I dont see the drawback to it? BTW, this is in the spring, summern, and autumn months so pipes freezing is not an issue for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island