Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 09:12 AM

516 posts, read 1,076,183 times

Advertisements

17 years and I still get junk mail for a previous owner, in fact it has gotten worse lately. I think his name and my address made it to a new bulk mail list.

Between my wife and I, our daughter and the previous owner I could pay for my auto insurance on what State Farm pays for junk mail postage that I never open. It goes straight from the mail box to the trash.

Anyone else get a lot of State farm mail from agents around farmingdale ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 02:29 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
I also do something that seems to work with unsolicited mail for me.

If I get a return envelope that is paid, I send everything back to them that they sent me with a note to please remove me. They are now paying for having sent me unsolicited mail.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:28 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Between State Farm and Fios it's hard to believe they can stay in business with all the mailers they send out. Every week we get this stuff and it's addressed to multiple people too, I get them in my name, my wife gets them in her name...
You'd think they would have somebody on staff to verify some of the information, they'd probably save 100's of thousands of bucks a year.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:51 PM

17 posts, read 11,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mv_2014 View Post
Do I need to tell USPS about this OR I cannot do anything?
Tell the Post Office. They will put a card in your slot saying not to deliver any mail for (old owner/residents' names). The sorters will stop putting it in your slot. Not sure where it goes from there but who cares...at least you won't get it any more.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:10 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
is it really that hard to throw it out? Who cares?

Old 02-24-2017, 12:08 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
I'm just shy of 21 years in my house. I am still receiving both junk and first class mail for previous occupants going back as far as the 1980's. This house was previously a rental, so I'm getting mail for multiple people.

I handle this mail as I was instructed to do when I worked for the USPS. Yes, some of the mail is junk mail which, when turned back over to the USPS, we would dispose of in a garbage can. I tend to chuck the bulk mail.

Some of the mail I receive is 1st class, some with forwarding address requests. When I receive a piece of 1st class mail, I run a black marker through the name and address and another line through the computerized presort info toward the envelope's bottom. I then write RTS: No such person.

Some of the errant mail it slips by in presort, over which the carrier has no control.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla destroys Tokyo View Post
Tell the Post Office. They will put a card in your slot saying not to deliver any mail for (old owner/residents' names). The sorters will stop putting it in your slot. Not sure where it goes from there but who cares...at least you won't get it any more.
A card won't stop the electronically presorted mail. Most of the carriers I worked with (the ones with the regular routes) were good about pulling mail for former residents when they were casing their own mail, and then pulling bad mail from presort when on the street. Some of them didn't have cards, which meant I didn't know who to pull. As a result, I delivered mail for past residents. It was a simple error which some people make out to be an egregious offense.

As a PTF, I had to know all of the routes -- and as I was never on the same route for any length of time it made it very difficult to learn who the residents were vs. the past residents.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
17 years and I still get junk mail for a previous owner, in fact it has gotten worse lately. I think his name and my address made it to a new bulk mail list.

Between my wife and I, our daughter and the previous owner I could pay for my auto insurance on what State Farm pays for junk mail postage that I never open. It goes straight from the mail box to the trash.

Anyone else get a lot of State farm mail from agents around farmingdale ??
I receive a lot from State Farm agents in Stony Brook/Setauket/St James. Tree killers!

Old 02-24-2017, 12:38 PM

17 posts, read 11,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
A card won't stop the electronically presorted mail. Most of the carriers I worked with (the ones with the regular routes) were good about pulling mail for former residents when they were casing their own mail, and then pulling bad mail from presort when on the street. Some of them didn't have cards, which meant I didn't know who to pull. As a result, I delivered mail for past residents. It was a simple error which some people make out to be an egregious offense.

As a PTF, I had to know all of the routes -- and as I was never on the same route for any length of time it made it very difficult to learn who the residents were vs. the past residents.
Worked fine for me for 6 years. I only get my mail. I'm a squeaky wheel

Old 02-24-2017, 09:15 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla destroys Tokyo View Post
I would do that but the previous owners last name is 1 letter different from mine. I almost did not get my CO for some renovations I had done before moving in because the Post Office returned it to sender. The village finally addressed it to resident and it got delivered. So I just live with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island