U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-04-2008, 11:55 AM

220 posts, read 671,329 times
Default Commack & Smithtown Condos?

This past weekend we looked at a few townhouse-style condos in Commack and Smithtown. In Commack we looked in the Tara development, and in Smithtown we saw one in Hidden Ponds.

What are some impressions of Commack and Smithtown?

If you're familiar, what can you tell us about Tara and Hidden Ponds?

Thanks!

Last edited by Jennifer06; 03-04-2008 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 01:10 PM

718 posts, read 1,982,214 times
I owned a home in Commack. We really liked the area. Close to shopping and great food. Great schools. We made alot of money when we sold. Easy drive into NYC on weekends about 1 hour with no traffic (does that exist?). I have only passed by the Tara condos/townhomes. They look very nice. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:26 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,460,086 times
I have a friend who lives in Hidden Ponds. Lovely community.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:48 PM

44 posts, read 113,116 times
I know both well. They are both very nice. I lived in the woods community of nesconset which had smithtown schools. I sold my place in October 2007 after living there for 4 years. The main reason I am happy to be out of there were my taxes at time of sale were $7800 and monthly maintenance was $300 a month. When I moved there my taxes/maintenace was $5700/$180. Frequent special assesments were one annoying part of living in a townhouse community. On the plus side safety is great in these communities.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max7418 View Post
I know both well. They are both very nice. I lived in the woods community of nesconset which had smithtown schools. I sold my place in October 2007 after living there for 4 years. The main reason I am happy to be out of there were my taxes at time of sale were $7800 and monthly maintenance was $300 a month.
That's about what we saw for taxes & maintenance - some higher, some lower, but generally around that combination per year. But, isn't that total, whether in taxes alone or tax + maintenance--around or over 10k--fairly common on LI as outrageous as it is?

Quote:
Frequent special assesments were one annoying part of living in a townhouse community.
That's interesting. I hadn't thought of that. Is there a way to know if a particular develoment is prone to this, how often it happens (is it random?) or if it's due for an upcoming change?

Quote:
On the plus side safety is great in these communities.
I felt really comfortable in them and liked them both a lot.

Thank you for the description.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:31 PM

44 posts, read 113,116 times
Jennifer,

I don't know how to find out other than ask people at Tara/hidden ponds how many assesments they have had. The ones I can remember involved the board needing more money for a painting project. It was an extra $110 a month for 3 months, 2 years in a row. There were also a couple charges for tree cutting and new roofs. Alot of these board members have friends who they give work to and a homeowner doesn't really know if they are getting a fair rate. I know my place changed landscapers 3 times in the 4 years I was there and they used "wizard" contractors for the painting and various other projects. You can go to meetings and voice your opinion on maitenance fees but remember the board has final say.

For my wife and I it was time to move on to a house where I can mow my own lawn, shovel my own snow and put my garbage on the curb. I enjoyed the time we spent in nesconset but didn't like talking to the fairfield people over various issues and the increase in maintenance fees. Most of the people who lived in my old community were retirees and a few young couples or single people. There were no families with high school kids that I can remember. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:24 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,072,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer06 View Post
That's about what we saw for taxes & maintenance - some higher, some lower, but generally around that combination per year. But, isn't that total, whether in taxes alone or tax + maintenance--around or over 10k--fairly common on LI as outrageous as it is?

That's interesting. I hadn't thought of that. Is there a way to know if a particular develoment is prone to this, how often it happens (is it random?) or if it's due for an upcoming change?

I felt really comfortable in them and liked them both a lot.

Thank you for the description.
Both very nice areas with solid schools. Town of Smithtown has some great parks and quiet beaches (maybe too quiet if you need real waves now and again...which our family does ). Taxes are higher than other areas but if you able to find something to suit your budget you would probably be fine with either choice. Good luck to you.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I have a friend who lives in Hidden Ponds. Lovely community.
Do you know if there many small children there? When we visited we didn't see any, but the weather wasn't great. We have a young son and want to be around other children and families.

Jen

Old 03-21-2008, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 12,138 times
We looked at both Tara and Hidden Ponds before moving to Hidden Ponds, where houses are a bit bigger and the three ponds -- small lakes, actually -- make for a more attractive setting. A clubhouse, pool (with children's pool) and tennis courts are among the amenities.
Some of the info provided by others on this board is much too general. The Hidden Ponds monthly maintenance fee is still under $200, lower than most others in the region. And Hidden Ponds, a gated community, has a traffic light at its entrance onto busy Rte. 347, unlike Tara. At rush hour, it can take quite a while to cross the road for a safe left turn at Tara.
Tara is closer to the shops and other businesses along Jericho Turnpike, but Hidden Ponds has its own major shopping within a mile north and west, as well as a supermarket and a Chase bank on the next block. In addition, we're three miles (a 10-minute drive) from the biggest shopping mall east of Roosevelt Field. Smith Haven Mall has recently been upgraded and expanded. We're a mile from Smithtown's main library, we're closer than Tara to major bookstores and a Costco wholesale club, and we're just a mile and a half from the Smithtown LIRR station.
So for our money, there's no comparison between Tara and Hidden Ponds.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 12,138 times
We looked at both Tara and Hidden Ponds before moving to Hidden Ponds, where houses are a bit bigger and the three ponds -- small lakes, actually -- make for a more attractive setting. A clubhouse, pool (with children's pool) and tennis courts are among the amenities.
Some of the info provided by others on this board is much too general. The Hidden Ponds monthly maintenance fee is still under $200, lower than most others in the region. And Hidden Ponds, a gated community, has a traffic light at its entrance onto busy Rte. 347, unlike Tara. At rush hour, it can take quite a while to cross the road for a safe left turn at Tara.
Tara is closer to the shops and other businesses along Jericho Turnpike, but Hidden Ponds has its own major shopping within a mile north and west, as well as a supermarket and a Chase bank on the next block. In addition, we're three miles (a 10-minute drive) from the biggest shopping mall east of Roosevelt Field. Smith Haven Mall has recently been upgraded and expanded. We're a mile from Smithtown's main library, we're closer than Tara to major bookstores and a Costco wholesale club, and we're just a mile and a half from the Smithtown LIRR station.
So for our money, there's no comparison between Tara and Hidden Ponds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island