Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2017, 02:01 PM

9 posts, read 11,091 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, we bought a house last year and my home inspector found signs of termite damage in one of the beams. The owner had a termite company to come in to inspect and do some treatment for termites. I did not know exactly what he did since this was all between the termite company and the previous owner. All I got was the invoice and the "Wood Destroying Insect Inspection Report". The invoice showed that he installed the baits and treated some exposed wood members. The report said "Visible evidence of wood destroying insects was observed as follows: Termite tubes on sill plate in basement". Live insects were not found. And visible damage from wood destroying insects was not found either. The service was warranty for 1 year.

It is almost a year since we bought the house, and my question is should I call another termite company like terminix to come in and do a termite inspection first. If they found termites then I would call the company that the previous owner used to come in to do the warranty. Or should I just call the previous company since they might be familiar with what they did and the repeated treatment will be easy for them.

And any input about my termite problem or in general would be appreciated as well. I never had termites before. Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 09:01 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,895 times
So, you can most likely renew the contract with the sellers company. Did they install baiting stations? If so, they should have come back to inspect them every 3 months.

Surface treating the wood for termites is allowed but ineffective.

Check their reputation.

Terminex is hit or miss. Depends on who owns the franchise.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:35 AM

194 posts, read 444,594 times
Terminix is not franchised on Long Island. Also, the Whitmire bait stations are checked three times per year in the spring, summer, and fall (no winter) while the Sentricon stations are only checked once per year.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:43 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
Bait stations are not as effective as ground treatment with a product like Termidor but NY State eco-freaks prevent using this type of product. If you want another company to do an inspection that's fine but see if you can find a more local company, Terminex is usually not to well regarded in most places.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:22 PM

402 posts, read 518,530 times
We were in the same boat and opted to stay with the company used prior.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:35 AM

9 posts, read 11,091 times
Thank you all for the info. The previous company installed baiting stations but never came back to inspect them. They installed many baits, like one every 8ft around the perimeter of the house and garage. They are a small company, probably a one man shop. I think I will try to get a 2nd opinion… just to be safe. Could you guys recommend, or suggest some names of termite control companies. I am in Rockville Centre (but I think anyone in Nassau would do). Thanks!

Old 03-13-2017, 08:13 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,895 times
8-10 feet is normal but typically never done properly. so that is a positive for the install. Call the small guy and get a feel. Ask if he has checked them any why not.

I do prefer Whitmire vs Sentricon.

Yes direct injection is better, quickly becoming harder to find someone willing to do it.

Did not know Terminex was not franchised on LI. If that is the case, make sure you get some of their better applicators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island