Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 01:09 AM

9 posts, read 8,022 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I was born and raised in GA and I currently live near the Atlanta area. My issue is that I married an Italian from New York and his entire family lives in NY. Even though he's been here for a while, he hates it with a passion and wants to move for a number of reasons all stemming from his disdain for the south. I have a masters degree and I have been looking for decent work for nearly two years so I can't say I blame him. My husband seems to think that our lives would be better up north, but I just don't know and I have run out of options of people to ask. My family seems to be caught up in the idea that if we move they'll have somewhere to visit. Meanwhile, his family all agree that I would be able to find a job and live comfortably up north. So is the move really worth it? Are there better opportunities up north? Have you moved from the south and regretted it or was it one of the best decisions of your life? Any real advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 07:00 AM

91,994 posts, read 122,107,559 times
What kind of opportunities would you be looking for? Is he looking to move back to Long Island specifically?

Old 03-12-2017, 07:14 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,909,398 times
What do you both do for a living? Sometimes a masters can work against you. Do you plan to buy a home or rent? Taxes in NY are expensive, Long Island especially. Just some things to consider. Moving to a place will bring company initially but a 14 hour drive will dissuade a caravan pretty quickly.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:22 AM

22,614 posts, read 36,516,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecost View Post
Hello all,
I was born and raised in GA and I currently live near the Atlanta area. My issue is that I married an Italian from New York and his entire family lives in NY. .
One of the top pieces of advice I am giving my kids when they go away to college is don't get involved with anyone from NY.

OP, please re-read your post and tell us if there is anything in there that can help anyone answer your question.
What's your field of work? Potential salary in NY?
Do you own a home now?
Have you been out of work for 2 years in Georgia or just not in a job that you want? Is your master's in something that has jobs available - period, or is it in something that only has jobs available in certain areas of the country...ie, would moving to NY REALLY do you any good?
What does your husband do? What are his job prospects?
How did your husband end up in Georgia in the first place - someone who moved to a place he hates with a passion seems rather impulsive, so has he REALLY thought this through in an adult fashion?

Old 03-12-2017, 08:22 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,781,815 times
If you buy, LI property taxes will be probably be at least 4x times the amount you're paying in GA. Factor that in when you sort out what jobs are paying in your field. Also, the LI job market is poor. Figure you'll have to commute to NYC to make the big dineros.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:55 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,740,127 times
Look at the blizzards we have to deal with every winter. Like the one coming in two days. Do you want to experience that too?

Old 03-12-2017, 09:24 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,781,815 times
I realize we come off as a cranky bunch. How we got this way should be obvious by now.

OP, you never specified the type of work you do. More details would get you better answers.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:28 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,851,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecost View Post
Hello all,

I was born and raised in GA and I currently live near the Atlanta area. My issue is that I married an Italian from New York and his entire family lives in NY. Even though he's been here for a while, he hates it with a passion and wants to move for a number of reasons all stemming from his disdain for the south. I have a masters degree and I have been looking for decent work for nearly two years so I can't say I blame him. My husband seems to think that our lives would be better up north, but I just don't know and I have run out of options of people to ask. My family seems to be caught up in the idea that if we move they'll have somewhere to visit. Meanwhile, his family all agree that I would be able to find a job and live comfortably up north. So is the move really worth it? Are there better opportunities up north? Have you moved from the south and regretted it or was it one of the best decisions of your life? Any real advice is greatly appreciated.
Do your research before hand. We moved up here from NC a couple of years ago, and it's been a good move for us. We found that housing was the major increase, and it is a very big one. My wife and I both saw our incomes double with the move, but we both work in NYC.

I'd look for work before moving to see what kinds of opportunities are there for you and what kind of compensation you can expect before making the decision.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:33 AM

19,583 posts, read 20,406,499 times
Sounds like a nice guy.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:41 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,491,928 times
Let me put it this way. If I could push a button and blow up the whole state south of Dutchess County I would in a second, even if I didn't get enough time to warn loved ones. Sacrifice for the good of the world.

Ditch the husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island