Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:47 AM

169 posts, read 675,107 times

Advertisements

They took the most irrelevant issue out there and made it a headline! Love TOB!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 08:35 PM

577 posts, read 978,665 times
Gas powered leaf blowers are being used from April to December by the landscapers and affect everyone's quality of life and health. Kudos to TOB for addressing this issue. The other Towns & Village governments should also explore similar action. It really has gotten out of control!

Old 03-30-2017, 03:21 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Many places have laws regarding this stuff.
Nobody cares. This probably won't make a huge difference.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:34 AM

411 posts, read 288,904 times
Imagine living next to an old, mean, retired nut who uses a gas leafblower literally (I really mean literally) every day unless there is snow covering the ground. There's nothing there most of the time, yet he does it daily. I'm talking about after Christmas, in April, in the Summer, and in the fall it's multiple times per day usually. And when there are leaves, they get blown into the adjacent woods, only to blow right back, and the process starts again. Every 6 mos or so, there is a new leaf blower cardboard box by the curb for recycling, as he wears them out that fast. Sometimes, he is out there before 8 am on a Sunday. And this is a person who has judged me and my family and given us trouble on every little thing. A real head case... Our houses are very close, too, so the noise is extremely loud. I admit I have a gas blower too...but I use it only sparingly. I actually get yelled at by him for not maintaining my yard...but my yard looks great! It's like its in his imagination.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:11 AM

85 posts, read 60,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flattopcowboy View Post
Good for them, I wish they would pass something similar in Huntington, nothing can ruin a nice peaceful Saturday or Sunday like the constant blaring of leaf blowers.
Old thread I know but since you're in huntington (so am I) please email your councilmembers multiple times a week using this simple tool.. there are thousands of us trying to get the town to impose a summer time ban on gas leafblowers. Don't worry trolls, you'll still have your fall and spring cleanups with these vile machines, but the rest of us want to enjoy our yards without the 110db whine of leafblowers all day every day!

email them here: http://huntingtoncalm.org/send-a-letter/

we are getting traction but need more voices

Old 08-06-2019, 06:25 PM

323 posts, read 198,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx313 View Post
Old thread I know but since you're in huntington (so am I) please email your councilmembers multiple times a week using this simple tool.. there are thousands of us trying to get the town to impose a summer time ban on gas leafblowers. Don't worry trolls, you'll still have your fall and spring cleanups with these vile machines, but the rest of us want to enjoy our yards without the 110db whine of leafblowers all day every day!

email them here: http://huntingtoncalm.org/send-a-letter/

we are getting traction but need more voices
I agree with you. I am a very tolerant person. My neighbors have loud parties, play music outside etc.., and I don't even bat so much as an eyelash. However, one thing I can't stand is the annoying, loud repetitive drone of these godforsaken leaf blowers from dawn to dusk. Sometimes two or three are going off in the surrounding properties at the same time and the sound is deafening and they sound like chainsaws! Around here this crap starts up around 7:30-8:00 am every single day. Hordes of landscaping companies descend upon my block all day long 7 days a week.

One of my hobbies is gardening and these machines are so loud I cannot even talk to anyone in my yard without shouting on the top of my lungs. I cannot enjoy my backyard at all because of all the racket. Honestly though there is really nothing any one of us can do. You can complain till' the cows come home and no politicians or anyone will bother doing anything about it unless you live in a rich neighborhood and make some noise. Middle class blue collar families have no clout when it comes to these type of quality of life problems. I will probably get called a NIMBY for writing this. I am not even one of those environmentalist types, but this really annoys the hell out of me.

I can't wait for my kids to be done with school so we can sell our house and move upstate where it is quieter and we don't have to pay $12,000 in yearly property taxes anymore.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:35 PM

323 posts, read 198,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Maybe I'll get ICE on them the next time they blow leaves on my yard.
Lol! Sorry I can't rep you more than once.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:32 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Yesterday, 4 sets of landscapers throughout the day. That's well over 2 hrs of constant & unnecessarily loud droning noise in an otherwise silent neighborhood.

And you know what? Their lawns still don't look pristine. But you can be sure dust and pollen is everywhere else.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:23 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
This is what happens when you allow people to run a business without regulation. Exploited workers who don’t care because they have no rights and are at the mercy of their employers.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:26 AM

2,434 posts, read 1,212,637 times
First they came for the leaf blowers, but I didn't care I wasn't a leaf blower....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island