Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 12:54 PM

10 posts, read 79,255 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Anyone is aware that a mini split room air conditioner require a town permit to install? I am under jurisdiction of Town of Hempstead. This is not the mini split central AC. It the mini split with a small unit hanging outdoor and an indoor air handler mount on the wall, that most of the people use in other country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 12:58 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Did not need it in TNH.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:20 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,895 times
Most likely, if not for the unit, then for the electrical work needed.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:29 AM

75 posts, read 110,538 times
Yes, for electrical.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:22 AM

So it sounds like all it need is to have an electrical underwriter submit a certificate to the town once the work is complete without the need to submit a building permit first.

With all the stupid process and slowness in the building department and town, it just make life of resident so complicate when he/she wants to do some work in the house or in the yard.

I am planning to get 5 indoor to 1 outdoor Fujitsu mini split install this summer myself and hook up to electrical disconnect box that's already there. There used to be a 40-50 years old Central AC condenser installed by original owner. I had it removed two months ago when I had my window and siding replaced.

The folks in the building department is useless. If you ask the reception there in ToH, it sounds like everything needs building permit. I asked the lady if a permit is needed if I need to replace a piece of broken sheetrock, she said yes. I don't think these people know anything other than asking us for money and making us running around.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehcc View Post
So it sounds like all it need is to have an electrical underwriter submit a certificate to the town once the work is complete without the need to submit a building permit first.

With all the stupid process and slowness in the building department and town, it just make life of resident so complicate when he/she wants to do some work in the house or in the yard.

I am planning to get 5 indoor to 1 outdoor Fujitsu mini split install this summer myself and hook up to electrical disconnect box that's already there. There used to be a 40-50 years old Central AC condenser installed by original owner. I had it removed two months ago when I had my window and siding replaced.

The folks in the building department is useless. If you ask the reception there in ToH, it sounds like everything needs building permit. I asked the lady if a permit is needed if I need to replace a piece of broken sheetrock, she said yes. I don't think these people know anything other than asking us for money and making us running around.
That is because everything NEEDS a permit.....lol. Honestly I see both sides of permitting. Recently I have 2 clients in situations where the prior owners removed load bearing walls with negative affects to the home 5-10 years later. Lots of money to repair.

On the other hand, Town of Huntington is hassling a client over 1" height on a deck.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:41 AM

In your HVAC, replace the old disconnect with a new one, have electrician check to see if old circuit is large enough to service the new AC unit.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:39 PM

755 posts, read 1,079,873 times
To OP,

Although you didn't ask, I don't recommend the single outdoor unit to multiple indoor units. I have the higher end one from Fujitsu. The indoor units just don't work properly when each unit has a different temperature setting.

Although I can add more indoor units to the existing system, when I put it in my basement and garage, each indoor will be paired with its own outdoor condenser.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:11 PM

I thought about having multiple outdoor unit to match each indoor but hate to see a farm of condenser outside the house everywhere.

I am not sure if you aware that each outdoor unit waste about 10-50 watt of power per hour when idle. The power is draw to keep the circuit board running so that when user press the remote, the unit start. In the winter time, it uses more power to warm crank case in the compressor. It doesn't sound a lot but when you do the math, 10-50watt per hour x 24hr/day x 30days/month. Its probably half of your monthly electric bill have the unit idle. This number adds up if you have multiple outdoor unit.

Now that you mention the potential problem. I am thinking to have a separate one to one unit for the living room which is open to kitchen and dining room area. The 4-1 unit for the bedroom. In the even the multi-split unit fails, I can still have one unit working.

Honestly, troubleshooting these unit is just very difficult compare to the central AC. Sometime it just cheap and fast to replace the unit than troubleshooting and replacing multiple parts. There is pro and con between the two. I am just going with mini split since that's what I know how to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: