Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 12:04 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHNY1 View Post
Hello, first post.

Is there anything I should know about Plainview that I may not know? How can I do research on the different neighborhoods within Plainview? I found one site: Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed , but I was hoping for more information from another source.

Any advice would be most helpful and appreciated. Thank you!
The college streets aka Washington ave sections is the nicest. Almost no inventory be prepared to pay at 850-1.3mm w/ 20k in taxes. This area is also the furthest away from Hicksville train station.

The rest of the town is the same. You have the Areas around Mortan village, Manetto hill road and the sections Near Johns farms. Honestly they are all the same. The areas near Jamaica ave tends to have lots of Jewish people as it is walk able to Young Israel and Plainview Jewish Center. This section is also the closet to the train station.

market seems to be competitive as other poster said. I saw a 1800 sqft split that looks like it wasn't touched since 1980 sell for 540k a month ago. There is new construction all over town including a new housing development being built for mostly 55+.

Last edited by Yac; 04-05-2017 at 06:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 12:12 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHNY1 View Post
Is this the Shop Rite across from the library? Where exactly is it moving to?
yes that Shoprite. It is moving about 1 mile east down Old Country rd. The corner of Old Country and Round Swamp. It is part of the country Pointe project being built. It is going to be around 72k sq ft super shoprite some retail etc and a boatload of expensive senior housing.

Country Pointe Plainview

Old 03-31-2017, 12:35 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
A lot of old people in Plainview. And most of them drive.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:58 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I once stopped at that Fairway Market in my classic car on the way home from a car show. Some broad in a large foreign SUV almost killed me and my car twice while rushing through a U turn in the most inappropriate place. That is just one example. Another is the grid lock there. An old man was stuck in an aisle, cars behind him and in front of him. The spot he was temporarily blocking was occupied by an old lady with pure white hair. She was trying to back out, right into the side of the old man's car. He blew the horn, and she instinctively stopped, then resumed backing, only to have the oold man blow the horn more. This kept happening because she couldn't see the old man behind her. Later on, I saw her driving around the parking lot followed closely by the old man, as he continuously blew his horn and making wild gestures!! Those are just two examples I can think of about the Plainview Fairway Market parking lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Came in to post this. Too many old people and you'll notice it quick. Just one of those things you'll have to live with (around).

OP if you want to know about certain areas, tell us your budget and type of house you're looking for. The elementary schools also vary a bit in rankings, and you may want to be closer to one of the two middle schools, if you care to that level. Any interest in Old Bethpage?

Old 03-31-2017, 01:10 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Once shoprite moves down the road in 2 months Mortan Village won't be to crowded anymore.
The shoppers will still drive like maniacs.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:08 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Plainview is congested. In the middle of Long Island. Hot in the summer. Not picturesque. Or historic.

I am Jewish and from Long Island. It's one of the last places I'd live. I really don't know what the attraction is.

I pretty much don't get "landlocked Long Island" - unless there is no place else that you can afford.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:34 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Plainview is congested. In the middle of Long Island. Hot in the summer. Not picturesque. Or historic.

I am Jewish and from Long Island. It's one of the last places I'd live. I really don't know what the attraction is.

I pretty much don't get "landlocked Long Island" - unless there is no place else that you can afford.
The primary draw for Jewish is the Jewish community for sure - I think it's like 70% here.

It's also central to everything including the highways and still being able to get to the shores in reasonable time since it's only about 4 miles away. It's also central enough to east and west.

Unless you're on the water already, you're not benefiting any more than others by just being "closer".

Old 04-01-2017, 08:14 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
"Complainview"

Old 04-01-2017, 08:47 AM

6 posts, read 17,848 times
I like Plainview because it's central in LI. The north shore is expensive and far from the highway. The south shore gets hit hard by the storms and it seems a lot of areas don't have a strong Jewish community outside of Merrick. Plainview has a good Jewish community, is a healthy half hour from my parents, and I can have easy access to Huntington, Westbury, Deer Park (for Tanger Outlets), and it's a decent commute to Penn Station. I was looking into Merrick, but living near the water and flood zones concerns my wife and I.

That huge construction area on Round Swamp Road...so there's going to be senior housing and a new Shoprite? Plus other retail? Any idea what's coming over there yet? That should be interesting.

What do you guys know about that Jamaica Ave of Plainview? Specifically west of 135 and north of Old Country Road. It seems most of the affordable housing for my wife and I are in that area. Is it up and coming? I was looking at a house online on Brook Path and noticed that there's another house on Brook Path that was knocked down and being built. They're asking $988 for the house they're going to build! It makes me wonder if property values will rise in that area of Plainview in the coming years. I like the area east of Manetto Hill the most, but I'm starting to like that area west of 135/north of Old Country Road.

Our budget is $550-750 (on the lower side if the house needs work and on the higher side if it's move in ready). Preferably, we find something between $600-650, but we can try to make it work up to $750 if we find a house we love. Ideally, the house is 3 or 4 bedroom with 2.5 bathrooms and is 2000 sq feet or more (even 1800 or 1900 sq feet is ok). There needs to be a space for me to have an office since I work from home 4 days a week. My wife wants our kids (when we have them) to go to Jewish Day School for elementary school and then public school for middle and high school.

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2017, 12:49 PM

283 posts, read 581,278 times
It is a very nice town. Plenty of shopping, close to the highways, great schools. If you want a bit more peace and quiet, Old Bethpage is the way to go (if you didn't already purchase!). Many do not want to be anywhere near the water , so this is the perfect area . Maybe the older folks will make way for new families from the city for a better balance. I think there will be a big shift in population in the next 5 years. The driving is scary beteeen the elderly and teenagers.

Last edited by newmommyq; 04-01-2017 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island