Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher2Be View Post
Do you have children yet? If so, are they into sports, are they special needs, etc?

They are both good districts, you are correct in that Plainedge is a smaller district, which can be great! The HS is not so overcrowded, but there's not a whole lot nearby if a senior wants to leave campus for lunch (except for that Chicken place maybe on Hicksville Rd).

If you are buying/renting in the area, MAKE SURE to find out that the place you are looking at is in Plainedge schools if you choose them. There are houses right across the street on Hicksville Rd from Wyngate (where Plainedge HS is) that are NOT in Plainedge schools, but rather Levittown schools. Very strange/tricky area to live in I know people who are in Seaford, are Plainedge schools buy are Town of Oyster Bay!!
My HS boyfriend lived 1 block west of 107 at the Corner of Wicks & Jerome. Wicks is the street directly across from Wyngate at the 107 intersection.
My HS boyfriend attended Plainedge but his mailing address was Seaford. People who lived further west of Jerome attended Seaford.

There are homes behind Island Rec which are divided between Plainedge and Island Trees (I may be wrong on the district, it has been a long time.)

HOWEVER -- there are homes just west of Broadway which will go to either Farmingdale or Massapequa, depending on how far north or south they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancypatricia812 View Post
Hi.... moving to area and have read mixed reviews. The consensus seems to be- Massapequa.... good district but has gotten worse and overcrowded over past couple of years. Plainedge.... smaller district and has gotten better over past couple of years. both have average marks according to schooldigger.com.
ANyway, looking for opinions from local residents who have experienced either of these recently. thanks in advance!
Massapequa is larger and as one gets closer to the water, there are more wealthy families.

Plainedge is smaller and more working class.

Someone mentioned kids going off campus; if you want your children to travel off the school grounds during the school day, there's certainly more near Massapequa High. Plainedge is in a residential area -- it would take us 15 mins to walk to the bagel store on 107 at lunch time, 10 mins to walk to the pizzeria on Broadway.

The HS is small as well as the student body. The teachers knew who was who -- you weren't getting away with anything. The HS currently offers more AP classes now than it when I was there. There's also participation in the Siemens program.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:39 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Massapequa is larger and as one gets closer to the water, there are more wealthy families.

Plainedge is smaller and more working class.
I have friends in both areas. I prefer Massapequa, simply based on the proximity to the water. And I agree with the above statement.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I have friends in both areas. I prefer Massapequa, simply based on the proximity to the water. And I agree with the above statement.
Houses, properties were nicer the further south one went. My neighborhood was a development of cookie cutter houses. My friend moved from around the block to a home on a canal -- much nicer home.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:26 AM

3 posts, read 12,907 times
I happen to be a graduate of Massapequa. I participated in clubs, sports, and countless other activities. I also happen to live on the border of the other school districts close to Massapequa, in fact I live closer to Plainedge high than I do MHS. I would not give up my memories of hs for anything really. But before you jump the gun, I am not one of the rich people of pequa. The area North of the LIRR is practically all blue collar, I myself have been working since I was 13. So the stereotype that everyone is rich from Massapequa always gets to me. Anyway. I would say both Districts are great. Living so close to PHS I have many friends from there and we always chide each other about who's better. In truth we know both are great. But beware with PHS they were close to liquidating years ago into the surrounding school districts not just Massapequa(who prob wasn't going to take the students anyway due to how many the district already has) but also Farmingdale, Levittown, Seaford, and Bethpage. Also keep in mind not all districts can offer everything, Seaford does not have an orchestra program so if your kids take a string instrument its private lessons or nil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island