Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 12:08 PM

131 posts, read 332,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesUp View Post
I've noticed more homes listed over the past couple of weeks in GC. Appears supply on the rise. Nice solid homes.
P.S. what's with the homes that have the double sided fireplace that practically splits a whole living room into two? Sometimes one of the sides is left with very minimal space. Perhaps a different taste from another era..
Supply is always on the rise this time of year. It's the beginning of the spring selling season. People wait to list their home in the Spring since that is when most sales occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 09:35 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
The more I think about it, the more I realize how rotten and lousy GC really is.
RVC has it by a slim margin. If I had a gun to my head and had to move back to Nassau I could live in RVC I guess but no way in hell would I do GC.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:03 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
Meadow is not that bad. I know families that live there with kids. Highly educated professionals who commute to great jobs in NYC. Live totally normal suburban lives. They are not sitting in their homes cowering in fear. Ridiculous to suggest meadow street is some kind of hell hole. They are tearing down old homes on Meadow and building new construction that is selling for almost $1 million. Maybe there is some more petty crime like a stolen package once in a blue moon but that kind of stuff can happen anywhere.
I did not say it was bad just that it borders Hempstead and I would not want to live there. Truth be told, which is what the OP is asking, I would bet that if you interviewed 100 people that live in GC now they would not want to live on Meadow, sheerly because of the proximity to Hempstead. After all, there is a great difference in the GC crime rate and that of Hempstead.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:31 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The more I think about it, the more I realize how rotten and lousy GC really is.
RVC has it by a slim margin. If I had a gun to my head and had to move back to Nassau I could live in RVC I guess but no way in hell would I do GC.
Okay.

I live in Garden City and this morning ran the GC Race for a Cure 5k. Met old friends, and wonderful people.

Listen, if you want to live in a community with old-fashioned values, a great family vibe and awesome schools, please do not move to GC

Would love to hear your opinions how "rotten and lousy" this town is.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:22 AM

My family and a few very close friends live in GC.
I know it well. It's lame. Fancy houses and uppity white folk. Plenty of drugs for the kids.
No thanks.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:39 AM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
Quote:
I know it well. It's lame. Fancy houses and uppity white folk. Plenty of drugs for the kids.
No thanks.
"Fancy houses and uppity white folk" is lame?

Haven't seen any drug use.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:38 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
No thanks.
Beg to differ. There are fancy homes no doubt and there are drugs no doubt, but there are drugs and fancy homes everywhere, rich or poor. GC is no different. GC is a wonderful neighborhood. Great sense of community and family values. Is it competitive? Sure is, but quite frankly I find GC much friendlier than RVC and I lived in RVC for 3 years. Middle class me, never felt out of place in GC, but I did feel that way in RVC. That is only my experience.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:44 AM

I just don't like GC because I don't like it. And that's that.
So there!

Old 04-23-2017, 11:51 AM

487 posts, read 544,944 times
Garden City and Rockville Center are both lovely communities, but unfortunately the reality is that drugs are everywhere and has become an epidemic on LI.......sadly. It seems that the OP is set on these two communities, but have you looked into some of the very pretty areas on the north shore which have a very different flow than GDN City and RVC.......one town flows onto the next, more scenic and hilly, good school districts, lots of great amenities, closer to the water, etc. You know you are entering Garden City after you pass the car dealerships and are leaving Garden City when you get to Old Country Road if traveling northbound. Certainly a different feel in areas such as Locust Valley, Muttontown, Brookville, Lattingtown, Sea Cliff, Glen Head, etc. However, the commute into Manhattan may be an issue for the OP as there are less trains from the Oyster Bay line.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:08 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
I just don't like GC because I don't like it. And that's that.
So there!
we get it - it's a town full of people with more than you. The calculus isn't all that complicated here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island