Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 01:02 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,641,071 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any good record (I mean actual RECORDS!) and/or used cd stores on Long Island? I know of Looney Tunes in Babylon, but I don't know if it's been re-opened after the fire. There was Mother's Music in Patchogue, but it might not be there anymore. And there was one somewhere near Smithtown called Mr. Cheapo's that had a great selection of bootlegs but my friend tells me it's gone. I'm looking more for independent stores rather than Sam Goody's or something like that. Anything? Or do I need to go into the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 01:25 PM

177 posts, read 890,800 times
CD Island in RVC (Merrick Road) is pretty good.

There's also Long Island Sound. The East Hampton one closed last year but they also had a location in South Hampton...not sure if they're still there, though. Great vinyl and CDs.

Empire Records closed in Garden City, which was a shame - it was great!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:34 PM

405 posts, read 1,160,030 times
For actual vinyl, and oldies there's Whirlin' Disc on Main St. in Farmingdale.
I think they may be on the web too.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:34 PM

438 posts, read 828,530 times
There is a new shop in Amityville village on Merrick Road, I think it is called Infinity Records. They have a good used vinyl and cd sections. They carry alot of AOR and Progressive rock. Well worth a look.

Also, there is a shop in Massapequa Park on Park Blvd. just south of Sunrise Hwy that has a ton of vinyl. I just cannot recall the name of the shop.

And Looney Tunes did re-open. I remember Long Island Sound in East Hampton and Mothers Music. Too bad they are gone. East Hampton also had Hampton Sound but it closed down in 1983 or so.

There is also a shop in Mineola, I think it is another Mr. Cheapos. They have alot of vinyl and cds.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:14 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,196,799 times
I know of Looney Tunes in Babylon, but I don't know if it's been re-opened after the fire.

They did reopen and they are two of the nicest guys. They cried at their reopening. They love that place. You have to hand it to them ; they worked hard and got the store which had been totally destroyed in tip top shape in no time.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-07-2008, 07:17 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,105,556 times
I'm guessing Titus Oaks is gone.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:40 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,196,799 times
I don't think that I have ever heard of that one.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-08-2008, 07:14 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,105,556 times
Used to be a few doors down from Sam Ash on 110. Bought some great off the wall stuff like old Steve Allen records and my pride and joy, "Howdy Doody and the World". It's in stereo, and out of one channel is the Howdy Doody Show and the other famous speeches and news casts from that same time. So you'd hear a bit with Princess Summerfall Winterspring and the other a speech by David Ben-Gurion. Trippy.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:43 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,675,180 times
Default Titus

Ha Ha , that brings back some classic memories! Titus Oaks was a cool record store, but yeah i believe it only remains in our memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I'm guessing Titus Oaks is gone.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:16 AM

19 posts, read 56,119 times
You may want to check Long Island Craigslist on a daily basis. I have seen ads where people just want to get rid of their old records. Some are free, some are a small price depending on the poster.

Hope that helps!
VB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island