Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 PM

197 posts, read 511,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If you don't know where to go, what street to turn down, etc, you will miss the nicest and best parts of the island. We LIVE here and we need the inside scoop from people in order to find the "good" and really lovely desirable areas.
DH kept saying things to that effect -- we just need to find the right places, they have to be out there (as he handed me tissues). I believe his office is right around the LIE/495 and 110 - does that make sense?

We're flexible on *close* too. Trying to be as open-minded as I can. Really am. We figure a 20-30 minute commute is reasonable and have been told possible, but THAT was from the homes we've seen so far.

Thx.

Last edited by alliswell; 03-07-2008 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 11:03 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliswell View Post
They were absolutely shell-shocked. Probably my own fault, but they've never seen places like this. My youngest asked if everyone on LI was poor and if we were going to be poor now too. The RE rep laughed and made some stupid joke about the taxes then pulled up to a bagel shop which happened to be right next door to an Adult bookstore/shop complete with a full window display of "attire". Yeah, that helped.

I am hoping that there is something I'm missing here. Why is $700K a gross mis-representation?
You were definitely not anywhere near what is desirable. And just b/c you met with a realtor doesn't mean anything. You need the inside scoop from those of us who live here and have nothing to gain but only want to help you.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
DH kept saying things to that effect -- we just need to find the right places, they have to be out there (as he handed me tissues). I believe his office is right around the LIE/495 and 110 - does that make sense?

We're flexible on *close* too. Trying to be as open-minded as I can. Really am. We figure a 20-30 minute commute is reasonable and have been told possible, but THAT was from the homes we've seen so far.

Thx.

Ok that's the Melville area so you are correct in that I am sure. We can definitely help find you something in that price range that would be within 15-30 mins of his work.

Have you looked at MLSLI.com – Long Island Real Estate – Find A Home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens although it's not much help to someone who doesn't know LI. I will pull up some listings and see what you think and post them.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I know on LI I can never replace what I have now in the midwest. I've gotten past that. Stictly focusing on how and where I can make this work.

Thank you all for your responses.

What do you have now? I am curious what kind of quality of life you have now, so I can see what you will be most happy in. Each town here has a different vibe.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:11 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Small town Mid west? IMO, make your husband have a "longer than he wants commute" and look at Eastern Long Island. Much more affordable and more rural and planned(sometimes), look north shore and maybe east of the Willian Floyd Parkway. Checkout Mount Sinai, Miller Place, but be willing to go out East. The urban sprawl moves west to East on the Island and things change quickly in 10 -15 years so you need a buffer. I grew up in Bellmore & live in Kings Park now. 15 years ago I thought KP was semi rural. I go back to Nassau & it looks like Queens to me. We have a family summer house in Jamesport(North fork) and I'm beginning to spend more time out there. Life is short & kids grow up quick so a longer commute won't hurt as long as is everyone is happy.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:17 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Maybe Pt Jefferson, Stony Brook.......

Do you want newer construction (within 10 years?)?

Old 03-07-2008, 11:18 PM

Hey! I got the directions right! Had no idea where I was most of the time.

Not being able to determine much from on-line searches is exactly correct, G2BH. Felt like I was directing where we went to look based solely on my on-line research, when I really wanted to be lead. Nice to be asked what I wanted, but I don't know what I'm doing, where I'm looking, or how to get there.

I found homes on line went and we looked at them in person and there was something markedly, inherently wrong with each of them. RR Tracks in the back of one. Another's backyard was some kind of excavating company, I don't know what it was, nor precisely WHERE I was. That's the kind of thing you can not determine looking at pictures on line.

I liked Smithtown the most. Kinda cute, just not a single house did I see on my last trip that I could live with.

The few homes RE had for us had been on market for months and had several price reductions. Not uncommon in this market, but I thought ALL the ones he showed us having extremely lengthy DOM was odd. Something wasn't right, thus part of the reason I came hear and freaked out a little. Sorry. Thanks again for being here.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:20 PM

MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Ok tell me what you think of this. Keep in mind with new construction taxes could be very very high. Commute for your DH would be about 25 mins I would say.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Hey! I got the directions right! Had no idea where I was most of the time.

Not being able to determine much from on-line searches is exactly correct, G2BH. Felt like I was directing where we went to look based solely on my on-line research, when I really wanted to be lead. Nice to be asked what I wanted, but I don't know what I'm doing, where I'm looking, or how to get there.

I found homes on line went and we looked at them in person and there was something markedly, inherently wrong with each of them. RR Tracks in the back of one. Another's backyard was some kind of excavating company, I don't know what it was, nor precisely WHERE I was. That's the kind of thing you can not determine looking at pictures on line.

I liked Smithtown the most. Kinda cute, just not a single house did I see on my last trip that I could live with.

The few homes RE had for us had been on market for months and had several price reductions. Not uncommon in this market, but I thought ALL the ones he showed us having extremely lengthy DOM was odd. Something wasn't right, thus part of the reason I came hear and freaked out a little. Sorry. Thanks again for being here.
OK, glad to hear you liked Smithtown b/c the Smithtown/St. James/Nesconset area is phenomenal. Great schools, loads of shopping, great community. Gorgeous pool/country club that all residents can join to use the beautiful IGP, take a walk down to the Nissequoge River etc. Really great community.

That is the thing. If you go look at houses just from finding them on the internet, you could really truly wind up in some gross places that will turn you off (which sounds like that happened).

We too (even living here) didn't know much about Suffolk. Took many drives and were grossed out by what we saw. Only when we started chatting with people on message boards did we learn WHERE to go...and it is a WORLD of a difference when you have that inside scoop.

I will keep pulling up some homes for you, that i know are in good areas.

That is another thing I want to ask you. I don't know where you live now, so I can't be sure what kind of neighborhood you like. Do you like quaint or grand or mixed? Do like colonials or ranches? New looking neighborhoods or more older established (rustic even maybe) ones?

All this is vital to sending you in the right direction. I know how overwhelming it can be and I hope we can help you. Trust me, there are gorgeous neighborhoods here that I really think you would like, as most do (unless you wants acres and acres of land, b/c that doesn't come cheap here).

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 03-08-2008 at 12:59 AM..

Old 03-07-2008, 11:26 PM

We have about a 1/2 acre 3,000 sq ft house, finished basement, 4 BR each with walk-in closets/3 full baths/loft, 3 car garage. We custom built the house about ten years ago. I'm over it.

KB, we went to Pt. Jefferson. I think that's too far and I remember the RE commenting that the commute would not be easy. Stony Brook is a new one. Need to look that one up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island