Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 01:21 PM

55 posts, read 84,167 times

Advertisements

What kind of sick contest is this, who pays the highest taxes. Get out, the taxes are only going to go up and up. Soon you won't even be able to claim them on your federal taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 06:21 PM

307 posts, read 637,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I really don't understand the mentality that it's ok to give up more and more of what's yours when you've earned it. I don't care if someone makes $1mil/year. Those people would still be considered getting robbed. Even if you leave, the next owners get robbed (blinded by school reputations and suburban dreams). Other schools are doing better with less. Read that again. The majority of the school taxes (or their increases year over year) are not going to the betterment of our schools, but to employees who have no accountability. It's not a personal financial management problem. What's so hard to understand about this?

I don't know if you have ever been in a teaching/coaching position, but throwing more money at them based on time served while ignoring performance is exactly how you build complacency. Is that who you want teaching your kids? Way to go.

Oh the short-sightedness here. "Want more money in your pocket? Organize!" - The line pushed by unions. But hey, all you have to do to fight this is go work harder yourself to feed this even more right?
Wow. You missed the whole point, and apparently the narrative as well.
The most successful people I know never complain about taxes. They talk about how they are going to be successful, and stay succesful. They have goals, and dont blame others for their failures or shortcomings. If they want more $, they figure out how to improve their career. They dont sit in a mire of resentment, blaming the government for taking from them.

But thats fine. Keep fighting the good fight.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:36 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
The most successful people I know never complain about taxes. They talk about how they are going to be successful, and stay succesful. They have goals, and dont blame others for their failures or shortcomings. If they want more $, they figure out how to improve their career. They dont sit in a mire of resentment, blaming the government for taking from them.

What a load of bunk. The entire republican party and a good chunk of Dems spend their entire political careers collecting nice taxpayer funded salaries...precisely to "***** and moan" about taxes. Even Warren Buffet has complained about taxes at times, that lazy goldbrick! You make such a silly leap that to hate/complain about taxes, you somehow have a bad life and are a failure. Disliking taxes is universal bro. Rich, poor, black, white...no one really enjoys them. Here...the system is criminal.

The real point is the tax system is BROKEN. It's manipulated and looted and being levied improperly and inappropriately. It has nothing to do with "liking to pay taxes" or not. That is such insipid silliness it isn't worth discussing. Paying taxes is one thing. Paying it to perpetuate the Triborough Amendment, union power grabs, criminal pols, ponzi teacher/cop contracts, track foremen making $200k in OT, taxes for infrastructure dumped in the general fund to pay debt servicing on bonds (i.e., taxpayer pays the same debt twice) so the infrastructure continues to crumble despite VOTING and funding repairs, assessment madness, pension abuse and double dipping, workers comp abuse. On and on. Hell, I didn't even get to the school districts yet.

Yeah, there are real issues. Your ideas on 'self improvement' don't need to stop at the individual. Look a little deeper and you'll see why there is such abhorrence about taxes here. Not just the quantity, but the quality. The graft in the paper every day. We're getting robbed. Most of us get that. No one will convince you apparently, so don't worry, be happy, pay gladly. No problem. Keep up the bad fight!

Old 05-09-2017, 06:42 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
What a load of bunk. The entire republican party and a good chunk of Dems spend their entire political careers collecting nice taxpayer funded salaries...precisely to "***** and moan" about taxes. Even Warren Buffet has complained about taxes at times, that lazy goldbrick! You make such a silly leap that to hate/complain about taxes, you somehow have a bad life and are a failure. Disliking taxes is universal bro. Rich, poor, black, white...no one really enjoys them. Here...the system is criminal.

The real point is the tax system is BROKEN. It's manipulated and looted and being levied improperly and inappropriately. It has nothing to do with "liking to pay taxes" or not. That is such insipid silliness it isn't worth discussing. Paying taxes is one thing. Paying it to perpetuate the Triborough Amendment, union power grabs, criminal pols, ponzi teacher/cop contracts, track foremen making $200k in OT, taxes for infrastructure dumped in the general fund to pay debt servicing on bonds (i.e., taxpayer pays the same debt twice) so the infrastructure continues to crumble despite VOTING and funding repairs, assessment madness, pension abuse and double dipping, workers comp abuse. On and on. Hell, I didn't even get to the school districts yet.

Yeah, there are real issues. Your ideas on 'self improvement' don't need to stop at the individual. Look a little deeper and you'll see why there is such abhorrence about taxes here. Not just the quantity, but the quality. The graft in the paper every day. We're getting robbed. Most of us get that. No one will convince you apparently, so don't worry, be happy, pay gladly. No problem. Keep up the bad fight!
QFT. Every word takes down the nonsensical "bootstrap" argument.

FWIW, I know successful entrepreneurs who live everywhere. They have some beautiful homes, but almost every one of them avoids tax gouging LI. Lower taxes means you can afford a nicer house and spend more developing your business.

Keep striving and self-improving, neil1973. While your back is turned, your pocket is being picked.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:45 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
You make such a silly leap that to hate/complain about taxes, you somehow have a bad life and are a failure.
This is just it. I'm sure there are plenty of people on the island who make $300k household doing fine in family, health, and everything they need, yet still hate the fact that they're being robbed. The "most successful" as he put it... is such an elitist/snobbish statement. It's also such a small % that it's not even attainable for most of LI'ers regardless of changing careers at 40. Not only that, working long hours while having a young family is counter-intuitive. There's nothing wrong with wanting a balance, one especially where you get to keep the money you make for your family, instead of more and more being taken away for little to no return (which is exactly what's happening).

Last edited by ovi8; 05-09-2017 at 07:05 AM..

Old 05-09-2017, 07:00 AM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post

But it is kind of fun to read the handful of predictable constant tax complainers - in the same way reading the guy who was always posting about Long Island hauntings and those (sometimes overlapping) teacher/cop fantasy folks is kinda cool. Doesn't convince anyone (I am assuming nobody has been swayed by the Mount Misery and teacher/cop fantasizers) but its very repetition has a charm all of its own. In fact, I sort of miss the Mount Misery guy just as I'd miss the couple of (multi-named) constant tax complainers.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:29 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
But it is kind of fun to read the handful of predictable constant tax complainers - in the same way reading the guy who was always posting about Long Island hauntings and those (sometimes overlapping) teacher/cop fantasy folks is kinda cool. Doesn't convince anyone (I am assuming nobody has been swayed by the Mount Misery and teacher/cop fantasizers) but its very repetition has a charm all of its own. In fact, I sort of miss the Mount Misery guy just as I'd miss the couple of (multi-named) constant tax complainers.
You also broadcast predictably as a defender of the high tax status quo. High cost, low value places always have their defenders. Usually they're connected people lapping up at the big trough feed.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:44 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
These guys are very entertaining. One of them was a big time defender of LI until <6 months ago. He just cried about salaries for the last 10 years. The other guy has predicted LI's downfall for just as long. Neither is doing anything about it but complaining. Very Sad!

Old 05-09-2017, 01:43 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
These guys are very entertaining. One of them was a big time defender of LI until <6 months ago. He just cried about salaries for the last 10 years. The other guy has predicted LI's downfall for just as long. Neither is doing anything about it but complaining. Very Sad!
Another tool with nothing to say. There are plenty trying to do something about it...and I lay out specific examples of problems...then crickets and limp replies like yours and Quicks and Neils (see, I'll name names).

Plenty working on your behalf...you're just the apathetic majority. A proud sheep.

LI School Tax - Educational Excellence and Fiscal Responsibility

https://www.nyabli.com

TAX PAC - EAST ISLIP

Old 05-09-2017, 01:57 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Quote:
Another tool with nothing to say. There are plenty trying to do something about it...and I lay out specific examples of problems...then crickets and limp replies like yours and Quicks and Neils (see, I'll name names).

Plenty working on your behalf...you're just the apathetic majority. A proud sheep.

LI School Tax - Educational Excellence and Fiscal Responsibility

https://www.nyabli.com

TAX PAC - EAST ISLIP
Aren't you a civil servant? Im not denying there are problems. I just know you aren't doing anything about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island