Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 06:28 AM

852 posts, read 1,443,310 times

Advertisements

I know this has been discussed before but I'm still unsure how sale price affects taxes. I find listing after listing of homes with high prices and low taxes, and listings with low prices and high taxes, all in the same neighborhood! We all know that taxes in Nassau do not reflect true property value.

But how will taxes change on a property if I purchase it for a low value while the taxes are super high? I can contest the taxes, but the first year, I'm going to have to pay them? Is this correct? And will I have a good case to lower them afterwards? Will sale price have a big effect on the taxes afterwards? How much afterwards will that take effect? The following year or years later?

Any info is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 06:38 AM

245 posts, read 319,892 times
Taxes have nothing to do with the value of your home. They're supposed to, but nassau's system is insanely broken. You'll need to grieve your taxes but you won't see the benefit for up to 2 years.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:37 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I know this has been discussed before but I'm still unsure how sale price affects taxes. I find listing after listing of homes with high prices and low taxes, and listings with low prices and high taxes, all in the same neighborhood! We all know that taxes in Nassau do not reflect true property value.

But how will taxes change on a property if I purchase it for a low value while the taxes are super high? I can contest the taxes, but the first year, I'm going to have to pay them? Is this correct? And will I have a good case to lower them afterwards? Will sale price have a big effect on the taxes afterwards? How much afterwards will that take effect? The following year or years later?

Any info is appreciated.
You get stuck with the high taxes in your first year but then you have the worlds easiest tax appeal. This is exactly the position I was in. My assessment was subsequently reduced 24% followed by another 6% in the following year.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:14 PM

47 posts, read 45,150 times
Low purchase price will make for and easy tax reduction. You can totally do it yourself, there are helpful groups on Facebook for it. Many do and say it takes all of 10 min. Sometimes longer first year. I used a service bc I'm lazy. Funny though bc I used to work for a company that grieved commercial property taxes! It'll take time and you always have to pay first, grieve later. Just no matter what, KEEP GRIEVING! It's been shown those who always grieve keep their taxes low and those who don't have even more uneven assessments. Fyi, Nassau is talking about a revaluation in 2018 so all our taxes can change. And another FYI, they can't increase your taxes if you buy a house for higher than their assessed value . That's illegal in N.Y. so you can't lose but can certainly win. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2017, 11:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,351 times
I am learning.

Thank you.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:27 PM

4 posts, read 9,367 times
To piggyback off of this topic -- I found a home in the town of Huntington with property taxes FAR FAR lower than surrounding properties -- we're talking sub-$5,000 true taxes before exemptions. Am I to understand that purchasing this home at fair market price wouldn't result in the taxes essentially doubling? A quick call to the assessors office resulted in them saying they only reassess when a grievance is filed or when square footage is added. Just don't want to find myself in a situation where a sudden large tax increase would stretch the budget too thin

Old 05-09-2017, 01:58 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_time View Post
To piggyback off of this topic -- I found a home in the town of Huntington with property taxes FAR FAR lower than surrounding properties -- we're talking sub-$5,000 true taxes before exemptions. Am I to understand that purchasing this home at fair market price wouldn't result in the taxes essentially doubling? A quick call to the assessors office resulted in them saying they only reassess when a grievance is filed or when square footage is added. Just don't want to find myself in a situation where a sudden large tax increase would stretch the budget too thin
In the Town of Huntington, they will not reassess when property changes hands.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:31 AM

168 posts, read 289,788 times
Hi,

So, Elke, in cases like that, the best thing is to NOT grieve, right? IF you grieve, they re-asses and they could raise your taxes.... OR if the grievance would lead to a raise in taxes there's a protection for the home-owner so that they would not do it?

Thanks,

Hipo

Old 05-10-2017, 12:58 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipogrito View Post
Hi,

So, Elke, in cases like that, the best thing is to NOT grieve, right? IF you grieve, they re-asses and they could raise your taxes.... OR if the grievance would lead to a raise in taxes there's a protection for the home-owner so that they would not do it?

Thanks,

Hipo
It's interesting but true - if you grieve and it turns out you're "under-assessed", they will not re-asses and raise your taxes because of it. Those departments don't seem to talk to each other

If you're in the Town of Huntington, it's easy to find out what you're assessed at and you can use that as a determinant whether or not to bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: