Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:14 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times

Advertisements

OP: I have two main thoughts pertaining to this discussion...

You'll find that there are people who define any commute over nine minutes as torture - many of them have never done it. You'll also find that most don't choose to acknowledge the difference between commuting by car or by train - there's a huge difference. Commuting by car is non-productive; commuting by train can be quite productive even if it only produces some additional sleep time.

Babylon has "stuff;" Dix Hills has no "there" there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 06:06 AM

245 posts, read 319,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
OP: I have two main thoughts pertaining to this discussion...

You'll find that there are people who define any commute over nine minutes as torture - many of them have never done it. You'll also find that most don't choose to acknowledge the difference between commuting by car or by train - there's a huge difference. Commuting by car is non-productive; commuting by train can be quite productive even if it only produces some additional sleep time.

Babylon has "stuff;" Dix Hills has no "there" there.
That is true. Many posters here get all bent out of shape talking about long commutes while they drive 10 minutes to their job in Melville.

That said, I have personally commuted for many years out of multiple stations in both nassau and suffolk.

You get more for your money in Suffolk - let's be honest. But I found my happiness levels were most impacted by a short commute. More time at home with family vs a slightly larger property.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:47 AM

21 posts, read 23,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blernard View Post
Yeah. OP: The train alone will be 60 to 70 minutes. That excludes getting to the station early to ensure you get parking (it's limited), waiting for the train, then the commute from Penn station to wherever you are in the city. You can be looking at 90 minutes each way realistically.

Again, I would advise to look in nassau's south shore as you want waterfront. Can save you 40 minutes or more per day.
For the type of family we are, friends of ours that live on Long Island suggested not living in Southeast Nassau. We would apparently not "fit" in. We also like the idea of being in an actual Village community. My partner will be working at various locations around Manhattan so his commute will change regularly. He loved the large homes and scenery of Dix Hills, however we are very social and enjoy doing things in the community. We are learning Dix Hills does not have that option.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:43 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWilli1892 View Post
For the type of family we are, friends of ours that live on Long Island suggested not living in Southeast Nassau. We would apparently not "fit" in. We also like the idea of being in an actual Village community. My partner will be working at various locations around Manhattan so his commute will change regularly. He loved the large homes and scenery of Dix Hills, however we are very social and enjoy doing things in the community. We are learning Dix Hills does not have that option.
With your budget and commute tolerance I would probably pick Huntington zoned for Harborfields schools, or try to snatch up a good deal in Lloyd Harbor. Or tolerate a little more commuting pain and choose Northport. Would also look into Glen Head, Sea Cliff and Oyster Bay.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:14 AM

245 posts, read 319,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
With your budget and commute tolerance I would probably pick Huntington zoned for Harborfields schools, or try to snatch up a good deal in Lloyd Harbor. Or tolerate a little more commuting pain and choose Northport. Would also look into Glen Head, Sea Cliff and Oyster Bay.
Why didn't I think of that? Northport is a very obvious choice given what the OP is looking for. There isn't a better downtown on all of Long Island nor more of a l community feel. There's also a good amount of Waterfront housing stock specifically in Asharoken which would be within budget.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:03 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
if by "Southeast Nassau", you mean Merrick, Bellmore, Wantagh, Seaford, Massapequa....the demographics and values aren't going to be substantially different compared to what you would find in Babylon.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
if by "Southeast Nassau", you mean Merrick, Bellmore, Wantagh, Seaford, Massapequa....the demographics and values aren't going to be substantially different compared to what you would find in Babylon.
This is interesting to hear, our close friends, said Babylon has more "charm" than those areas? Is this indeed true?

Old 05-16-2017, 02:15 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
Quote:
This is interesting to hear, our close friends, said Babylon has more "charm" than those areas? Is this indeed true?
what does "charm" have to do with whether or not you might "fit in"?

Old 05-16-2017, 02:16 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Quote:
Have you looked at Long Beach? It's very diverse, under an hour to the city, close to JFK and surrounded by water. There are brick colonials and there are a lot of waterfront houses. It may be a problem finding their nexus, however.

Last edited by kokonutty; 05-16-2017 at 02:26 PM..

Old 05-16-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
what does "charm" have to do with whether or not you might "fit in"?
No general correlation, just things brought up in discussion to where we should move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island