Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 02:49 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,592 times

Advertisements

By downtown i mean a small area of bars/restaurants.

I could have sworn someone mentioned to me recently that Lindenhurst was becoming like a Patchogue/Farmingdale, where they fixed up the main street and now there are a few cute places to go or like a walkable area. Is that true? i may have misheard...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 05:14 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
There's an uptown.
Wellwood, north of Montauk Highway.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:28 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
I'm not really familiar with it, but I think there is a downtown near Wellwood Ave and Hoffman Ave.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:59 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
There's an uptown.
Wellwood, north of Montauk Highway.
It's by the LIRR, which is "downtown" virtually everywhere on LI. Why would it be uptown?

Old 05-16-2017, 03:04 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It's by the LIRR, which is "downtown" virtually everywhere on LI. Why would it be uptown?
Because it's north of Montauk Highway.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:19 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
And south of Sunrise and Southern State.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:18 AM

179 posts, read 304,106 times
I'm not a big fan of Lindenhurst, having lived there for about 4 years. Wellwood south of the tracks area is nice to walk down and there are some nice places to eat, but it seems every few months some unique place has closed down (that spoon music cafe seemed pretty unique at the time). You get some stores and restaurants that are next to a handful of closed and vacant spots. Then right smack in the middle is that egregiously large firehouse they finished a year or two ago that dwarfs everything else. The worst offenders are CVS and Waldbaums that have been closed for a while, but most of the area is completely blocked off. Waldbaums in particular has that large parking lot that is closed off and can't be used. Parking is likely of mixed opinion. Yes, there are plenty of places to park on the main street, but it can be a bit risky backing out because of blind spots. On the other hand, there isn't too much available for parking behind the buildings like in Massapequa Park, Babylon, or Bay Shore...

Overall, there is a downtown, but I would say it's pretty weak.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:57 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
I'm not a big fan of Lindenhurst, having lived there for about 4 years. Wellwood south of the tracks area is nice to walk down and there are some nice places to eat, but it seems every few months some unique place has closed down (that spoon music cafe seemed pretty unique at the time). You get some stores and restaurants that are next to a handful of closed and vacant spots. Then right smack in the middle is that egregiously large firehouse they finished a year or two ago that dwarfs everything else. The worst offenders are CVS and Waldbaums that have been closed for a while, but most of the area is completely blocked off. Waldbaums in particular has that large parking lot that is closed off and can't be used. Parking is likely of mixed opinion. Yes, there are plenty of places to park on the main street, but it can be a bit risky backing out because of blind spots. On the other hand, there isn't too much available for parking behind the buildings like in Massapequa Park, Babylon, or Bay Shore...

Overall, there is a downtown, but I would say it's pretty weak.
Interesting. I'm starting to house hunt and i felt like there were very nice homes that were reasonably priced there and i remembered a co-worker saying that they were "revitalizing" the downtown of Lindenhurst (similar to Farmingdale). I have never been, but maybe i will just check it out. i just didn't even know where exactly the area they were talking about was located.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:15 AM

216 posts, read 445,723 times
Default Village of Lindenhurst Revitalization

Yes there is a plan of revitalizing the area. The old Chase bank has been purchased by the owners of Mary Carroll's and Bellport Country Club Catering and will be transforming it into a restaurant and bar. Hopefully this is the beginning of a new downtown area that they Village has been talking about for quite some time!

The Chamber of Commerce and Business Improvement District has a nice newsletter on their website. Not sure if I can post it but you can google it which gives some good information about what is going on in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Interesting. I'm starting to house hunt and i felt like there were very nice homes that were reasonably priced there and i remembered a co-worker saying that they were "revitalizing" the downtown of Lindenhurst (similar to Farmingdale). I have never been, but maybe i will just check it out. i just didn't even know where exactly the area they were talking about was located.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:17 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
LOL I thought you meant "ghost town," cemetery row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island