Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:15 PM

399 posts, read 551,163 times

Advertisements

My family and I currently are thinking of moving to a different location from the Sunny Southwest.

Long Island area has been to some attraction to me. My father says that NYC metropolitan area. Is all crime, traffic, and stress. I am sure places in Long Island like Levittown and Brentwood it is not as stressful as NYC itself.

we where thinking of looking to buy some real estate there for about 400k. (I did find some nice homes)

My question is.. Are there any Universities on Long Island area itself? What type of large Universities exist in Eastern NYC metropolitan area and Western Long Island area?
Four-year colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 07:37 PM

68 posts, read 293,320 times
Check out Adelphi University in Garden City...

Old 03-08-2008, 07:41 PM

245 posts, read 296,048 times
Default Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldirrty View Post
My family and I currently are thinking of moving to a different location from the Sunny Southwest.

Long Island area has been to some attraction to me. My father says that NYC metropolitan area. Is all crime, traffic, and stress. I am sure places in Long Island like Levittown and Brentwood it is not as stressful as NYC itself.

we where thinking of looking to buy some real estate there for about 400k. (I did find some nice homes)

My question is.. Are there any Universities on Long Island area itself? What type of large Universities exist in Eastern NYC metropolitan area and Western Long Island area?
Four-year colleges.
Hofstra University is in Hempstead

Long Island University (C.W. Post)

SUNY Stonybrook

Five Towns, St. Josephs, and others.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:49 PM

405 posts, read 1,160,164 times
I'm know there are plenty more, but
off the top of my head here are a few -

Long Island:
LIU CW Post
Hofstra
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Farmingdale

NYC:
Columbia
NYU
St. Johns
Fordham
CUNY Hunter
LIU Brooklyn

Old 03-08-2008, 08:46 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,628,706 times
There's also Barnard in NYC - students can take courses through Columbia if they go there.

The current list from The Best 361 Colleges 2007 edition for the NY metropolitan area:

Barnard
CUNY Brooklyn College; CUNY Hunter College; CUNY Queens College
Columbia U.
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art - annual tuition covered by full scholarship. You pick up room and board.
Eugene Lang College
Fordham U.
Hofstra U.
New York U.
St. John's U.
SUNY at Stony Brook
United States Merchant Marine Academy (Kings Point NY - the old Chrysler estate)
Webb Institute in Glen Cove NY. 80 students attend - full-tuition scholarships.

We do have many colleges here, and there a more in Westchester... The ones I listed above are only out of that one book. For a more extensive list, try Barron's Guide to Colleges in the library.

Your dad is correct about the traffic here on LI. Some people measure driving in time rather than in miles - that's how congested it can be during the day. I hate driving to NYC and mostly take the train. It's like playing bumper cars without touching. But NYC isn't all crime - not by any means. If you stay on the main streets where there are plenty of people around you'll be fine. You need some street smarts - no walking down deserted alleys (day or night), stay out of bad areas, etc. Some common sense is necessary. And Central Park is wonderful in the summer on the weekends - lots going on there - throngs of people at free rock concerts, street entertainers, etc. Very nice.

I would never avoid NYC - just the opposite. You've got the Broadway and off-Broadway shows, concerts of all genres, ballet, opera, and on and on. And restaurants galore. Very little crime - very little.

Yes, LI is very different from NYC, particularly in Suffolk County. People who live in NYC call going to Suffolk "going to the country." A whole different pace.

I suggest you come here and spend time and look around checking out different areas, and possibly renting for a while before you jump the gun and buy into an area that you find out 6 months down the road isn't so good or that you don't really like, and you want to really live some place that's better for you. Scope out LI first. Buying a house is a real big deal - rent can be a pain, but you wouldn't be in it for the long haul.

NY metropolitan area is very different from the southwest. And it probably is more stressful than what you're used to. You'd be moving to an entirely different culture.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:02 PM

22,108 posts, read 19,318,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldirrty View Post

Four-year colleges.
To put your dad at ease New York City is the safest (lowest crime rate) big city in the U.S. Long Island is the safest (lowest crime rate) metro area in the U.S, and Nassau County is the safest (lowest crime rate) county in the U.S

The traffic here can be a bit of a pain.

As far as colleges they were mentioned above. I am a graduate of Stony Brook University (2004). Its one of the highest rated Public Universities in the country.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:35 AM

893 posts, read 2,852,208 times
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Farmingdale
SUNY Old Westbury
Adelphi University
Long Island University CW Post Campus
Hofstra University

in Queens:
St. Johns
York College
Queens College
(all that I can think of)

Old 03-09-2008, 12:03 PM

85 posts, read 414,105 times
SUNY Stony Brook.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:03 PM

399 posts, read 551,163 times
It turns out there are actually tons of Universities!! In NYC area So options are vast!! Thank you so much!

I always see SUNY in many of the Universities, what does SUNY represent?

Is traffic on Long Island really bad? Not closer to NYC around the Brentwood area which is far enough from NYC I think 40 miles or so? Would that area be considered more quaint or still be "City suburb like"? Did that make sense what I just said? Lol

Old 03-09-2008, 08:01 PM

22,108 posts, read 19,318,576 times
SUNY= State University of New York.

As far as traffic other than well out east its going to be rough in most places on Long Island, though the worst is generally in Nassau. With that being said it can be pretty bad around the Brentwood area as well. Happague is pretty close to Brentwood, and is one of the main financial & job hubs of Long Island (along with Melville & Garden city)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island