Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 09:15 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

You're. You're.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 11:53 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Here's one story about a real kid:

From Manhasset graduated from a private high school and goes to college in CT on a full ride for sports. Gets injured and put on Oxy. Three months later he is on the streets addicted to heroin.

Know the kid know the family. It's not ghetto anymore.
This is going to be a really naive question but - how does that happen? how does it escalate to that?

is it that the person becomes *physically* addicted to oxy so he keeps doing more and more oxy or does the person like the high that they get from it so they keep doing it? and then how does that decision to switch to heroin happen? OR is it because the person always had an addicitve personality they just didn't know it until they tried a highly addictive drug? and then - why aren't these people being weened off of the oxy like normal? isn't that what's supposed to happen?

Old 06-08-2017, 12:53 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
This is going to be a really naive question but - how does that happen? how does it escalate to that?

is it that the person becomes *physically* addicted to oxy so he keeps doing more and more oxy or does the person like the high that they get from it so they keep doing it? and then how does that decision to switch to heroin happen? OR is it because the person always had an addicitve personality they just didn't know it until they tried a highly addictive drug? and then - why aren't these people being weened off of the oxy like normal? isn't that what's supposed to happen?
All of the above. Mostly naivete. They trust their doc. They take a small, pain relieving dose as directed. Tolerance sets in. They need to take more for the same pain relief. They take a little more. Doc usually says it's ok, within reason (here is the 1st really bad red flag). Again, tolerance builds. Suddenly, no relief but physical discomfort aka sickness when medication is removed. That is physical dependence which escalates to become full blown addiction. The pull of it is indescribable. This is how many thousands of elderly and youth are getting addicted.

Then there are the ones who take too much and like the mood altering aspect, regardless of pain relief. They like the chemical reaction in the brain. They abuse the medication. They also deal with tolerance issues and must increase dosages. Until they are physically addicted. No medical need, just substance abuse.

Once you are addicted to a drug, particularly if your are hereditarily or chemically predisposed to addictive behavior, you pretty much can never unscramble that egg. It's treatment or institutions (jails, hospitals, death) at that point. Extremely difficult to quit opioids cold turkey. John Lennon wrote a song about it.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
All of the above. Mostly naivete. They trust their doc. They take a small, pain relieving dose as directed. Tolerance sets in. They need to take more for the same pain relief. They take a little more. Doc usually says it's ok, within reason (here is the 1st really bad red flag). Again, tolerance builds. Suddenly, no relief but physical discomfort aka sickness when medication is removed. That is physical dependence which escalates to become full blown addiction. The pull of it is indescribable. This is how many thousands of elderly and youth are getting addicted.

Then there are the ones who take too much and like the mood altering aspect, regardless of pain relief. They like the chemical reaction in the brain. They abuse the medication. They also deal with tolerance issues and must increase dosages. Until they are physically addicted. No medical need, just substance abuse.

Once you are addicted to a drug, particularly if your are hereditarily or chemically predisposed to addictive behavior, you pretty much can never unscramble that egg. It's treatment or institutions (jails, hospitals, death) at that point. Extremely difficult to quit opioids cold turkey. John Lennon wrote a song about it.
But ok, so they go to the doctor for more, the doctor says "ok" but at SOME point the doctor has to say - no more, we are actually going to start weaning you off. and at that point, the doctor should SLOWLY start tapering. why isn't this happening? according to that situation, in my opinion, the doctor is 100% at fault then.

and also wouldn't the person say to themselves, hey i need to slow down, and ask the doctor to taper them off? i understand it can't be stopped cold turkey because of withdrawal symptoms, but it has to be possible if it's a slow process.

I guess I jut think of myself in that situation and if i know that going into it i will taking a highly addictive drug i would ask to be weaned off of it. of course i have never been in the situation so i cannot say for sure but i would imagine i would.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:45 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
But ok, so they go to the doctor for more, the doctor says "ok" but at SOME point the doctor has to say - no more, we are actually going to start weaning you off. and at that point, the doctor should SLOWLY start tapering. why isn't this happening? according to that situation, in my opinion, the doctor is 100% at fault then.

and also wouldn't the person say to themselves, hey i need to slow down, and ask the doctor to taper them off? i understand it can't be stopped cold turkey because of withdrawal symptoms, but it has to be possible if it's a slow process.

I guess I jut think of myself in that situation and if i know that going into it i will taking a highly addictive drug i would ask to be weaned off of it. of course i have never been in the situation so i cannot say for sure but i would imagine i would.
Chances are the doctors are tapering them off and the patient still craves it. While the doctor is doing his part by tapering down the dosage, it's up to the patient to keep with this course of action. The patient who isn't following the doctor's weaning is looking for illegal oxy on the street, which is far more expensive than heroin. They opt for cheap heroin.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Chances are the doctors are tapering them off and the patient still craves it. While the doctor is doing his part by tapering down the dosage, it's up to the patient to keep with this course of action. The patient who isn't following the doctor's weaning is looking for illegal oxy on the street, which is far more expensive than heroin. They opt for cheap heroin.
Craving it in a physical sense? or wanting to get high type of way? i guess that was my question - are they craving it because their body is producing unwanted feelings so they want more to rid themselves of withdrawal symptoms? or do they want more because they simply enjoy being high?

Old 06-08-2017, 03:57 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
the classic problem was patients not getting enough would just go to another doctor. Insurance didn't care and pharmacies didn't track it. NOW as per the whackjob OP who is so angered by it, the State started a program where docs and pharmacies have to track all prescriptions to avoid overprescribing. Since that has kicked into high gear...heroin has skyrocketed. Easier to get, cheaper, stronger. This is a sup[ply and demand thing. Docs (accidentally) and big pharma (accidentally?!? hmm??) created the supply. We have institutionally restricted supply. People find a way.

And yes, it's getting high, pain management, withdrawal, psych and/or physical dependence, self medicating from other issues like depression and PTSD, a whole host of things that lead people to misuse/abuse drugs. Historically Americans love love love to get high. They just never had it prescribed by their doc before...not to this extent anyway.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:38 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Craving it in a physical sense? or wanting to get high type of way? i guess that was my question - are they craving it because their body is producing unwanted feelings so they want more to rid themselves of withdrawal symptoms? or do they want more because they simply enjoy being high?
People who have gone from an actual prescription Oxy (and were non compliant with their doctor's tapering their dosage) and on to heroin, I believe that are craving it in a physical sense. They are hooked -- physically dependent.

The bottomline is that they need to keep taking the drug to stave off withdrawal symptoms. It's no longer about the high as much as it is about preventing wihtdrawal symptoms.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:01 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:

More than likely...

I've had multiple heart surgeries & have been on huge amounts of very strong painkillers. Huge. Never once did I feel the need to continue and then move to street drugs. Most people are the same.

Sadly, addicts have now made people in real, legit pain, pay for it. Docs are scared to death now.

My friend has advanced cancer & just recently got a lecture from the wacko Walgreens pharmacist from all this "opiate epidemic". It's getting insane.

Pray you never get seriously ill & need meds.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
More than likely...

I've had multiple heart surgeries & have been on huge amounts of very strong painkillers. Huge. Never once did I feel the need to continue and then move to street drugs. Most people are the same.

Sadly, addicts have now made people in real, legit pain, pay for it. Docs are scared to death now.

My friend has advanced cancer & just recently got a lecture from the wacko Walgreens pharmacist from all this "opiate epidemic". It's getting insane.

Pray you never get seriously ill & need meds.
It's just unfortunate because maybe the addicts don't even know they are have that pre-disposition. maybe if they knew they would avoid taking it or something.

I feel like you - i imagine if i were in that position i would easily follow doctor's orders to wean myself off. I think I'd be so worried about becoming addicted that I would actively make sure i do NOT get addicted, if that makes sense lol. so that's why i asked the question if it's more the person or the drug's "fault".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: