Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 11:00 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,223,517 times

Advertisements

Maybe you should look into soundproofing while you're at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 08:59 PM

280 posts, read 286,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
The house was built in the 40's. It's a levit house.
The job they proposed is air sealing and insulation with cellulose to R49. I asked them to put baffles too to increase the attic ventilation. They're also blocking the attic ladder with one of those insulation tents for that purpose.
Among other things...

I just can't have another summer with my second floor being an oven.

I thought if the attic is well insulated, I can always use a window fan on the afternoon to exhaust the heat on the second floor, knowing that heat won't irradiate from the attic at night after being sealed.
Off hand, and its difficult to say because I cannot look at your situation but, your problem sounds like attic ventilation NOT insulation.

So they are going to put baffles in, and cut a ridge vent into the roof line? That would only make sense if insulation was installed in a roof rafter. Generally said insulation would be fiberglass.

Mutually exclusive to;

If they are going to blow insulation in, they are going to cover the ceiling joists; where existing insulation may be too thin, or may have settled. They could also unfurl insulation perpendicular (against the direction of) to the joists.

Sounds like heat gets trapped in the attic, so the heat radiates down into the living area. The solution would be to put in a good attic ventilator fan into the roof. Not insulation. You want to move heat out of the house. That would cost <$1000-$2500; 1/3 for the fan 2/3 for the labor; or a little more because you have to run electricity.

If you have a ventilator fan already installed; you may not have a way for cooler outside air into the attic so it can displace the hotter air trapped inside the attic. Air should be pulled in via the soffits.

I would examine to see how air can flow from outside to inside the attic. <yes you want your attic to be ventilated either by a fan or via convection. The vendor that built the addition may not have installed adequate ventilation, for air inflow.

Said solution would improve your air conditioning efficiency.

Last edited by martinx; 05-27-2017 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island