Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 01:24 PM

983 posts, read 724,380 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm about to hire a company to do the air sealing and insulation of my attic (old house).
As you can imagine, it's not cheap.

Did you see any improvement after doing this?

In particular I'm trying to prevent heat from radiating from the attic.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 01:41 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
The barrier between the attic and the ceiling of the living area is the most important place to seal and insulate. It is a good place to start.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:37 PM

730 posts, read 1,656,574 times
Just curious:

What type of insulation are they installing?

Old 05-25-2017, 09:24 PM

280 posts, read 286,315 times
If you are talking old house, say 1920's; it actually may not pay to insulate. I have owned two old buildings a brownstone circa 1895 and a three story apartment building from the 1920's. Healthwise, There is also value in not having a house so "tight."

It would have been possible to encapsulate the 1920's brickwork in foam and then stucco over. I did not want to lose the brick esthetic, nor did I want to make repair of the brickwork impossible. A single course of bricks (fire barrier to the old code) are held onto the building with iron nails which eventually fail and then the brick pulls from the sheathing. The insulation i that building consisted of an air barrier between the brick and the sheathing, the linear 2" x 12" sheathing itself R6! covered in hot tar. , and the air barrier between the sheathing and the lath and plaster.

I did not want anything blown in and I wanted to keep the plasterwork mouldings and decorations.

The older building had an air gap between the structural brick 3 interlocking courses; with an air gap between the brick and the plaster which was mounted on structural 2" 4" , and no insulation in regards to the stonework which was about 2 feet thick. That building kept heat because it had thermal mass.

In both cases the best bang for the buck was just to heat the building using modern technology.

More details are needed regarding the scope of work you are intending to do. Like KB said, you should be more concerned with the attic because heat rises. However, You cannot put insulation against a roof without some way for the air to flow. That is a big cost increase in any project. Many 1920's houses can be insulated cheaply, and with great effect, by installing fiberglass in a Knee wall.

You might take a room by room approach in a really old house. When you gut a room you update everything. Its good also to install fire breaks and other low cost updates as you go room to room. If you wanted to start a room by room renovation I would upgrade the electrical service first, if possible. Before you do that best to have an electrician check to see if the wires are brittle.

Study and tuning of your heating system and controls might also be a better bet.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:26 AM

The house was built in the 40's. It's a levit house.
The job they proposed is air sealing and insulation with cellulose to R49. I asked them to put baffles too to increase the attic ventilation. They're also blocking the attic ladder with one of those insulation tents for that purpose.
Among other things...

I just can't have another summer with my second floor being an oven.

I thought if the attic is well insulated, I can always use a window fan on the afternoon to exhaust the heat on the second floor, knowing that heat won't irradiate from the attic at night after being sealed.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:42 AM

confused. So there is a 2nd floor addition? Or was the original attic converted to living space?

Spray cellulose on the underside of the roof?

Thermostatically controlled attic fan helps a lot!

Attic access is a BIG issue, addressing that is a great idea.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:43 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
The house was built in the 40's. It's a levit house.
The job they proposed is air sealing and insulation with cellulose to R49. I asked them to put baffles too to increase the attic ventilation. They're also blocking the attic ladder with one of those insulation tents for that purpose.
Among other things...

I just can't have another summer with my second floor being an oven.

I thought if the attic is well insulated, I can always use a window fan on the afternoon to exhaust the heat on the second floor, knowing that heat won't irradiate from the attic at night after being sealed.
A levvit cape??? Upstairs will ALWAYS Be hot. You're basically living in the attic.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:30 AM

No no.
It's a two story house plus attic. We're not using the attic as living space at all.

As far as I know a fan that works with a thermostat is counter productive. At one point it'll suck your cool air from the AC and basically cool the attic with it. It's better to have the attic air sealed.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
No no.
It's a two story house plus attic. We're not using the attic as living space at all.

As far as I know a fan that works with a thermostat is counter productive. At one point it'll suck your cool air from the AC and basically cool the attic with it. It's better to have the attic air sealed.
Hmmmm......there is a few different thoughts on this. So you are sealing all vents to your attic? Again....where is the spray being applied? Last questions. Air handler is in the attic?

Please also remember that there are more heating day on LI there their are cooling days. Of course, depends on how you use your A/C.

When was the 2nd floor added?

Old 05-26-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
No no.

Hmmmm......there is a few different thoughts on this. So you are sealing all vents to your attic? Again....where is the spray being applied? Last questions. Air handler is in the attic?

Please also remember that there are more heating day on LI there their are cooling days. Of course, depends on how you use your A/C.

When was the 2nd floor added?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island