Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,015 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Long Island this summer after I graduate from college in Austin, TX. I took a job in Garden City, NY, and I'm looking for a place to live.

About me: Male, single, enjoy live music, good food, beer-drinking, and generally a place with a lot of culture. Aside from driving to work I like to commute mostly by foot or bike.

I'd rather not have a commute longer than 45 min. I like the idea of Astoria, but I believe it's too far away from Garden City. I've also read on other threads that Huntington and Rockville Centre are decent places to live. Price is not a big deal. I make decent money and I'm cheap so I'll scour Craigslist until I find a closet to sleep in.

I've looked at other threads on this site but haven't found anything specific to Garden City or my situation. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 AM

118 posts, read 258,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyshivers View Post
I'm moving to Long Island this summer after I graduate from college in Austin, TX. I took a job in Garden City, NY, and I'm looking for a place to live.

About me: Male, single, enjoy live music, good food, beer-drinking, and generally a place with a lot of culture. Aside from driving to work I like to commute mostly by foot or bike.

I'd rather not have a commute longer than 45 min. I like the idea of Astoria, but I believe it's too far away from Garden City. I've also read on other threads that Huntington and Rockville Centre are decent places to live. Price is not a big deal. I make decent money and I'm cheap so I'll scour Craigslist until I find a closet to sleep in.

I've looked at other threads on this site but haven't found anything specific to Garden City or my situation. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Arch stone meadow brook crossing in westbury
Avalon garden city
Avalon Rockville centre

Old 02-26-2013, 05:36 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
I think the Avalon places are pretty pricey but if indeed price is no object then look there.

Huntington is a good option but you'll have to choose carefully to make sure your commute isn't hellacious. Stick to areas around the village.

Rockville Center would give you a pretty easy commute. Better nightlife than GC.

Long Beach is a possibility - once you learn your way around you could do the commute fairly easily - again would probably depend on where you choose to live in that city and where your job is in GC.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:12 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,688,546 times
Twingles, Long Beach is still rather a mess. I wouldn't recommend a newcomer to relocate there right now.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:51 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Twingles, Long Beach is still rather a mess. I wouldn't recommend a newcomer to relocate there right now.
Whoops! You're right, sorry.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:25 PM

596 posts, read 982,174 times
Long Beach (pre mess) was probably the best place for young singles on Long Island (unless you hate the beach). If the OP is just going to rent a modest place, then it may not be a bad choice even today. He won't have to worry about skyrocketing homeowner's insurance and resale potential. The downside is that it takes a long time to get to most of L.I. from there, but you should easily be able to get to Garden City in less than 45 minutes.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 AM

68 posts, read 197,831 times
I live in Long Beach and used to work in Garden City. It was not a bad commute at all and doable in under 45 minutes. That being said Long Beach is undergoing extensive rehab. I still think it is a good option - you could probably get a studio in a building for $1250.

My other suggestion would be Rockville Centre. It is a quick commute and you are close to bars, restaurants, train to NYC.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,157 times
If you are ok with a 45 min commute, I'd recommend Forest Hills in Queens. Great nightlife, lots of young people, and easy in/out subway service to midtown Manhattan for weekend outings. Garden City has its own little cute vibe and restaurants, but it is still a suburban community with lots of families and very few young people in the 21-35 age range. I used to work in GC and from south Queens, it was a nice 40 min ride since you're going against traffic.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:02 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
If you are ok with a 45 min commute, I'd recommend Forest Hills in Queens. Great nightlife, lots of young people, and easy in/out subway service to midtown Manhattan for weekend outings. Garden City has its own little cute vibe and restaurants, but it is still a suburban community with lots of families and very few young people in the 21-35 age range. I used to work in GC and from south Queens, it was a nice 40 min ride since you're going against traffic.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/28443082-post153.html

Quote:
I just have to say that is a real da*n shame that we have a thread from a nice poster who is young and open-minded to consider living in LI yet the general consensus is that he/she should live in NYC because of his age and income. Yet, we have a bazillion threads on this board complaining about the lack of young, single people in their 20s living here - threads where we lament the loss of this demographic, and wondering why they don't stay, wondering how can we get them to remain here and improve this area, etc, etc. Its just so contradictory to me. If we keep encouraging young people to leave LI because its just a place for couples with kids, then we are cementing our own demise. We need to stop this mentality, and start encouraging young people to consider LI as more than just a bunch of bedroom communities.
Great post! Thank you for your pointS of view!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:11 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/28443082-post153.html

Great post! Thank you for your pointS of view!
You're welcome! It would be nice if OP stayed in Garden City or even RVC, but given that he specifically mentioned nightlife as a priority for what he wants in a residence - Forest Hills is a better fit for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island