Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 09:31 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbeachguy83 View Post
Yes, majority of students are Asian and Indian. The school sends emails to parents in both Chinese and English. There are about 20 students in each class and about 15-17 in each class are Asian and Indian. I left the district 2 years ago. I don't want my kids to feel like they are in a foreign country as exchange students
Syosset, too. It’s very taxing. The cultural differences are palpable. Many of the children don’t speak English and have to have ESL tutoring. The Asian children and their families don’t really socialize with the non-Asian population. It’s not a situation I would wish on my own children, school rankings be damned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 01:28 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
When did the Indian population here rebrand themselves as "South Asian"? I just never heard them called that until this century. I'm not disputing the accuracy of that term but when I'm in an Indian neighborhood with Indian stores and people wearing Indian clothing I don't think of Asia. I think of India.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:28 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
When did the Indian population here rebrand themselves as "South Asian"? I just never heard them called that until this century. I'm not disputing the accuracy of that term but when I'm in an Indian neighborhood with Indian stores and people wearing Indian clothing I don't think of Asia. I think of India.
Interesting and I may be out of touch. I always thought of Indians/Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Filipino as Asians. Notwithstanding the fact they also have more specific and more accurate descriptors.

Now folks from the Middle East, technically Southwest Asia, I think of as Middle Eastern. Not Asian.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Interesting and I may be out of touch. I always thought of Indians/Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Filipino as Asians. Notwithstanding the fact they also have more specific and more accurate descriptors.

Now folks from the Middle East, technically Southwest Asia, I think of as Middle Eastern. Not Asian.
I don't dispute Indians are South Asians, I just never heard them called that until recent years. Of the countries in South Asia, India has about a billion people more than the next most populated South Asian country. Also, India is its own sub-continent so it seems to me that to call people from there anything other than Indians is being less than descriptive. I mean, Mexicans and Canadians are not usually referred to as "North Americans" although that would be correct also.

I don't associate Indians with Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, etc. which is what I think of when I hear someone called Asian. Maybe it's the physical differences between Indians and "other" Asians. But I think it's mainly that the term South Asian is one I haven't heard used for Indians until recently.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:38 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,198 times
[quote=martinjsxx;49618209]I don't dispute Indians are South Asians, I just never heard them called that until recent years. Of the countries in South Asia, India has about a billion people more than the next most populated South Asian country. Also, India is its own sub-continent so it seems to me that to call people from there anything other than Indians is being less than descriptive. I mean, Mexicans and Canadians are not usually referred to as "North Americans" although that would be correct also.

I don't associate Indians with Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, etc. which is what I think of when I hear someone called Asian. Maybe it's the physical differences between Indians and "other" Asians. But I think it's mainly that the term South Asian is one I haven't heard used for Indians until recently.[/]

Asia is a bg continent and our arbitrary "Asian" designation encompasses a lot of people... saying "South Asian" allows us to differentiate people from India, Pakistan, Bangaladesh, etc from east Asians: Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai etc.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Asia is a bg continent and our arbitrary "Asian" designation encompasses a lot of people... saying "South Asian" allows us to differentiate people from India, Pakistan, Bangaladesh, etc from east Asians: Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai etc.
Why not just call them Indians as they have their own sub-continent? When I hear someone is Indian I don't confuse them with Chinese, or Bangladeshis for that matter.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Why not just call them Indians as they have their own sub-continent? When I hear someone is Indian I don't confuse them with Chinese, or Bangladeshis for that matter.
I think folks in Bangladesh and Pakistan are Indians. Or at least they were up to the partition ( '48 or so).

'South Asian' is simply a new term for me. I tend to just say Asian... Unless I know something more specific.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:21 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Pocahontas?

Old 09-24-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Pocahontas?

Elizabeth Warren

Old 09-24-2017, 10:09 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I believe that Southeast Asians refer to people from Pakistan (formerly West Pakistan), India, and Bangladesh ( formerly East Pakistan). They are all considered to be "Indians," but distinguish themselves by their different languages and cultures, such as Bengali or Punjabi. There are Bengalis who live in Bangladesh and India and some are Muslims, others are Hindus but they all speak a dialect of Bengali. Remember this area was originally ruled with many separate principalities and monarchs, prior to colonialism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: