Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 04:43 PM

732 posts, read 1,734,886 times

Advertisements

LI needs JITB, Chick-Fil-A and Sonic so they could stop taunting me with their commercials.

There is one chain that'll be opening a few locations in the next few years here though: El Pollo Loco. If I'm Yum Brands (owners of Taco Bell and KFC), I'm crapping my pants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 05:27 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
because of some law they are not allowed on long island

What kind of law would this be, I wonder? We don't have Super Targets either which are all over the country and very popular.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-06-2009, 06:24 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
because of some law they are not allowed on long island

What kind of law would this be, I wonder? We don't have Super Targets either which are all over the country and very popular.
It's the same law for both businesses that doesn't allow them on the island because of their full grocery sections. I heard about it about 5 years back.It's a shame though because i've been in both and the bargains are great.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeny1980 View Post
Man, what I wouldn't give for a Jack's taco.

Yes it was on the corner of 112 and Terryville Road. My brother and I used to go there all the time. They didnt have a "super taco" it was called a Taco Grande - and to this day I've never seen another place serving extra-long tacos. They used to have Taco-Tuesday, which I think was buy two get one free. Nothing better than a deep-fried Taco. That store was always pretty grimey but the tacos were simplistic and great. There was a guy and his mother who used to work there all time, he looked like Prince but blonde. But then again, it was the late 1980's early 1990's so alot of people looked like Prince. Ha. Either way, they were nice people. That store probably closed down in maybe 1993.

I always thought it was weird that it was called Jack's not Jack-In-the-Box.

Here is a great link I once found for a Jack-In-The-Box taco recipe. I've made it and it certainly fulfilled my 15+ year taco-abstinance. Jack-in-the-Box Tacos Recipe : Recipezaar

There was a time maybe around 2003 when Burger King was selling tacos. I know, it sounds weird. They sold them for less than a year. But the tacos were exactly the same as Jack's tacos.
I tried the recipe a couple of hours ago and it was DAMN CLOSE. The only problem I had was a little tearing with the soft tortillas.If you nuke them (10-12) for about 1-2 minutes immediately before using them it works perfect.Thank you!!!

Old 06-06-2009, 07:50 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,552 times
I dont think theres a "law", per say. the super market unions dont want them on long island because it will hurt them. also, whenever one comes around to long island, the community rallies up and kicks them out before they can get thier legal variances. it happened a few months ago when they wanted a super wally out east in suffolk. they were about to go ahead with the building but they said the area wasnt zoned for it.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
I dont think theres a "law", per say. the super market unions dont want them on long island because it will hurt them. also, whenever one comes around to long island, the community rallies up and kicks them out before they can get thier legal variances. it happened a few months ago when they wanted a super wally out east in suffolk. they were about to go ahead with the building but they said the area wasnt zoned for it.
It's not a law like one that would go through congress but on long island there is some agreement/law that prohibits it that went through quite a while back and it's entirely based on the fact of having a FULL grocery section.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:05 PM

130 posts, read 535,949 times
Have Jack's all over Arizona and the first thing I do when I land there from New York is grab their tacos! Everyone agrees, no one can make tacos like Jack in the Box, they blog Taco Bell right clean out of the water!

Old 06-07-2009, 08:45 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
LI needs Chick-Fil-A .
Yeah...good one Role, Chick-fil-A's are awesome. If only Long Island knew of all these places they miss out on in the free western world (humor). Closest one is in the city.

Chick-fil-A

Old 06-07-2009, 11:07 AM

732 posts, read 1,734,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
because of some law they are not allowed on long island but are all over the country including upstate and western new york.
I don't think it's a law, but they'd have a better chance of smashing their head through a brick wall than getting a Super Walmart approved.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:50 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,366 times
I did notice that LI, NYC, NJ does not seem to have the wide selection of fast food joints that most of the country has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island