U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:36 AM

654 posts, read 895,162 times
Default Jack in the Box restaurant in Port Jeff

There was a jack in the box fast food place, I believe on route 112 in Port Jefferson or Port Jeff Station. It later changed its name to Jack's. Can anybody tell me if it is still there. Anybody know why Jack in the Box pulled out of that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:49 AM

13,411 posts, read 14,564,617 times
Sorry, it is long gone.

While the chain still exists, I can only speculate that it was driven off of LI by the competition.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:18 AM

415 posts, read 464,307 times
Around 1976, one opened at the corner of Sunrise Hwy and New Highway in N. Lindenhurst, within walking distance from my grandparents' house. Well, it closed up within a year or so. I remember we tried their food and my grandfather calling it "s**t in the box". They may have closed due to competition but the food was lousy to boot. Funny, they are here in Austin, TX. I have not gone to one though!

Old 03-11-2008, 03:29 PM

8,904 posts, read 5,860,626 times
I never knew Jack in the Box was on Long Island. I know they're out west. When did they close down on LI? I'm 23 so it might have been before I could remember.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:42 PM

12,244 posts, read 15,957,486 times
Got my first job at age 16 in The Jack-in-the-Box in North Babylon, back in the mid-70's. There was one in West Babylon, too, that I worked at briefly. Never really took off on LI, except on Friday & Saturday nites, when no other place was open. JIB was the only 24/7 fast food place back then. I served Tiny Tim and his crew after he played at the bar next door.

Anyway, one reason that they never thrived on LI is that when they first arrived (from the west coast) they put mustard on their burgers and the Jack sauce (sounds naughty!) contained a strong mustard presence. LI has never been a mustard on your burger locale, and JIB initially refused to change (but did so later on), so it caught a bad initial reputation. Back then, the chain was also owned by Ralston-Purina (yep, the dog food company,) which didn't help the rep. The last straw was when the JIB chain was found to have used Kangaroo meat mixed in their burger patties.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:59 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,633,335 times
Um, Roo meat? Went to school in Albany and all the places had mustard on teh burgers...grew to love it. Ketchup and mustard make for a tasty burger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Got my first job at age 16 in The Jack-in-the-Box in North Babylon, back in the mid-70's. There was one in West Babylon, too, that I worked at briefly. Never really took off on LI, except on Friday & Saturday nites, when no other place was open. JIB was the only 24/7 fast food place back then. I served Tiny Tim and his crew after he played at the bar next door.

Anyway, one reason that they never thrived on LI is that when they first arrived (from the west coast) they put mustard on their burgers and the Jack sauce (sounds naughty!) contained a strong mustard presence. LI has never been a mustard on your burger locale, and JIB initially refused to change (but did so later on), so it caught a bad initial reputation. Back then, the chain was also owned by Ralston-Purina (yep, the dog food company,) which didn't help the rep. The last straw was when the JIB chain was found to have used Kangaroo meat mixed in their burger patties.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:02 PM

12,244 posts, read 15,957,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Um, Roo meat? Went to school in Albany and all the places had mustard on teh burgers...grew to love it. Ketchup and mustard make for a tasty burger...
yep....people were hopping mad! They complained it made them feel jumpy.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:13 PM

7,839 posts, read 11,733,813 times
I absolutely remember Jack in the Box right on the corner of Route 112 in Port Jeff Station. It was on the corner of that little shopping center with the bowling lanes and Woolworth's. Before I got my car, my son and I used to spend all of our time there because we lived within walking distance. (this was around 1974 or so). As soon as Taco
Bell came to LI , that was the end of all of the Jack's.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:51 PM

128 posts, read 1,555 times
Those SUPER TACOS were great !!!

Old 03-11-2008, 05:40 PM

13,411 posts, read 14,564,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I spent some time at SUNYA and remember having my first burger with mustard up there. Oh, and the cheese fries at Sutters Mill were really good, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island