Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 01:06 PM

251 posts, read 588,834 times

Advertisements

Looking to find some owners or realtors who have had experience buying or selling modular homes. I am talking about, ranches, two story, cape cods and so on. These are real homes that are built in a dry factory, delivered and assembled at the owners location.

My wife and I found a house in our area that is a modular design, but we have no idea if there are any issues we should look for or anything that makes these houses worth less or more problematic than a tradition stick build / on site home from a local builder.

If this doesn't pan out, we were looking to build on of these homes if we can find a plot of land we like.

Any info from people who have dealt with these sorts of homes would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 07:15 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Still rare on Long Island but I am seeing them a bit more of them. Really no downside to owning one. People think they are "cheaper" that stick built. Well that is typically due to labor costs not quality.

I would want to look into the company that built it and ensure they have a good reputation.

I would say that it harder to modify the building in a modular home. Trickier to take down an interior wall or add an addition but that is about it.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:26 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post

If this doesn't pan out, we were looking to build on of these homes if we can find a plot of land we like.

My friend did this about 20 years ago and has had no issues.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:54 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
I am the former ARC chair here in the community, which is the Architectural Review Committee. I will tell you what I learned in 3 years. My community does not allow modular homes at all. I am told the powers that be listed stick built in the documents as a method of preventing a trailer from being placed on the property. I then sat with an architect who said that there is a bit of truth to the statements that they are built a bit better. He said it is built in environments that are temperature controlled and thus expansion and contraction of joints does not occur and there is little chance for human error. He also said that a stick built home is better if you ever need to make repairs to a plumbing or electrical line. I can't defend the statements just telling you what was passed along to me.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:54 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am the former ARC chair here in the community, which is the Architectural Review Committee. I will tell you what I learned in 3 years. My community does not allow modular homes at all. I am told the powers that be listed stick built in the documents as a method of preventing a trailer from being placed on the property. I then sat with an architect who said that there is a bit of truth to the statements that they are built a bit better. He said it is built in environments that are temperature controlled and thus expansion and contraction of joints does not occur and there is little chance for human error. He also said that a stick built home is better if you ever need to make repairs to a plumbing or electrical line. I can't defend the statements just telling you what was passed along to me.
Thanks. For nothing.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:31 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,546 times
I'm about 99% sure they do not meet code for Town of Hempstead. Nothing does, really! lol

Old 07-10-2017, 08:41 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I'm about 99% sure they do not meet code for Town of Hempstead. Nothing does, really! lol
Actually they do! There is more back and forth between the architect and the town but that is about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: