Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:57 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
What's around, bunglows? I have to see this area. I can't believe these things aren't getting plowed down for new builds.
Some of them are -- my old rental in RP is a prime example. It belonged to an elderly woman; her family rented it out to offset expenses. We rented it, my friends after we left, another set of friends after they left and one of my employees after that. The landlord was great and we were all very lucky. The house burned, the landlord sold it after the elderly woman died and a spec builder bought it. It was a decent lot by RP standards. The spec guy built a large house on it, effectively taking up the entire rear yard. The new owners have a front and side yard nothing more.

Some of the properties are too small to build anything sizable on without having to go for a number of variances like setbacks, side yards and back yard. Some folks might balk at the time and expense, others might be happy tiny, while some might be paid off and are rentals. Why put money into something that's generating pure income?

The lot sizes stem back to the days when a now defunct NYC newspaper was giving away (or selling very cheaply) small lots of land in Rocky Point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 11:10 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The lot sizes stem back to the days when a now defunct NYC newspaper was giving away (or selling very cheaply) small lots of land in Rocky Point.
San Remo in Kings Park was a similar situation....I believe it was an Italian language newspaper that gave you a plot of land free with a year subscription. Imagine that nowadays? Even if the property was in Nebraska or something like that....I'd be buying 30 subscriptions!

Kind of OT but are there still a lot of bungalow/cottage rentals in Rocky Point & Sound Beach; and if there are, what are they going for??? It's soooo far out but if I could find a job somewhere out in the Pine Barrens abyss I'd love to live in the hills up near the sound.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:15 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
San Remo in Kings Park was a similar situation....I believe it was an Italian language newspaper that gave you a plot of land free with a year subscription. Imagine that nowadays? Even if the property was in Nebraska or something like that....I'd be buying 30 subscriptions!

Kind of OT but are there still a lot of bungalow/cottage rentals in Rocky Point & Sound Beach; and if there are, what are they going for??? It's soooo far out but if I could find a job somewhere out in the Pine Barrens abyss I'd love to live in the hills up near the sound.
I'd have to defer the rental question to someone currently living out there. We stumbled upon ours -- it was next door to a friend, in disrepair and vacant. A few calls and voila! rental home

Old 03-13-2008, 05:21 PM

240 posts, read 1,056,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'd have to defer the rental question to someone currently living out there. We stumbled upon ours -- it was next door to a friend, in disrepair and vacant. A few calls and voila! rental home
There still are quite a few rentals in the area; many of them being the older cottages. They usually are anywhere from 1500- 2000 depending on the size of the home. The last one I can see from my backyard.

example below

Rocky Point (http://www.prudentialelliman.com/Listings.aspx?ListingID=2022692&rentalperiod=Year& SearchType=li&Region=LI - broken link)

Rocky Point (http://www.prudentialelliman.com/Listings.aspx?ListingID=2054061&rentalperiod=Year& SearchType=li&Region=LI - broken link)

Rocky Point (http://www.prudentialelliman.com/Listings.aspx?ListingID=2037008&rentalperiod=Year& SearchType=li&Region=LI - broken link)

Old 03-16-2008, 06:45 PM

87 posts, read 270,405 times
Default I remember this house

When I was looking just to looksee in Oct I saw this. I'm sure it was much more expensive. I hated it tho. It's a bit moldy, it needs a lot of work, the pool is gross. Well I think at this price it'll sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
MLSLI.com - Find a Home

MLS Number 1992801

no problem

P.S. The house is in a very convenient location on Hawk Road (a dead end street). It's only two short blocks off of 25A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island