Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:46 PM

14 posts, read 87,014 times

Advertisements

I've learned alot from previous threads! Now I'm trying to narrow my search.

Family moving to east coast for job in NYC. Looking for good public schools, great town, diverse people, short commute by train. I've pretty much narrowed it down to Nassau County (e.g. Garden City, Syosset, Manhasset) and lower Westchester County (e.g. Hastings-on-Hudson, Rye, Mamaroneck). Seems like we can afford housing in any of those. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 02:29 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,174 times
Two totally different areas............Westchester is more like New England, LI is all about beaches and water. All the towns you mention in both counties are very nice. Down side is Nassau is slowly becoming the 5 boro of NYC.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:21 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Two totally different areas............Westchester is more like New England, LI is all about beaches and water. All the towns you mention in both counties are very nice. Down side is Nassau is slowly becoming the 5 boro of NYC.
People say this about Nassau, but I don't see it. The dense areas are already built, the "estate" areas will likely remain that way. Yes, there are some major development proposed, but that's good, it's development and evolution. There needs to be more development to pay for expenses. If done well, Nassau could be even better than before. Look at Westchester...no ones complaining about the skyscraper building boom in White Plains, New Rocelle, and now Yonkers. Look at Jersery City/Hoboken, and Stamford, CT. LI needs to get on board, too.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:14 AM

GCguy,

You make my point. I think Nassau looks alot like Queens (still the best boro IMO). Garden City will be Jamaica Estates, RVC will Whitestone Etc. Nassau is already more diverse in race and religion and these no open space anymore. Traffic is getting out of control. As far as development goes, Nassau has NEVER done it well since Robert Moses died, what is going to change? At least when Moses was around , he steamrolled what ever he wanted. Now you can't do anthing without a major legal fight and 20 committees. Look at Trump and Jones beach..........

Old 03-13-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
GCguy,

You make my point. I think Nassau looks alot like Queens (still the best boro IMO). Garden City will be Jamaica Estates, RVC will Whitestone Etc. Nassau is already more diverse in race and religion and these no open space anymore. Traffic is getting out of control. As far as development goes, Nassau has NEVER done it well since Robert Moses died, what is going to change? At least when Moses was around , he steamrolled what ever he wanted. Now you can't do anthing without a major legal fight and 20 committees. Look at Trump and Jones beach..........
I agree with that, the NIMBYs are out of control. But that's Suffolk, NYC, almost anywhere in the NY metro, it seems, unless an area is really downtrodden.

I don't see it being quite like Queens b/c Queens still have so much more density (apt buildings, multi familes, etc.) plus there just more space in general. The being said, Nassau will also not be like Suffolk either. They are different places, and that's ok. I looked at Northport, like the area, etc. but couldn't live that far north in a place with no street lights, sidewalks, or even sewers. Not my thing. Many people love it. All I know is that all of LI will see more develpment b/c it has to to survive, and ther will be more diversity, too.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:45 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
People say this about Nassau, but I don't see it. The dense areas are already built, the "estate" areas will likely remain that way. Yes, there are some major development proposed, but that's good, it's development and evolution. There needs to be more development to pay for expenses. If done well, Nassau could be even better than before. Look at Westchester...no ones complaining about the skyscraper building boom in White Plains, New Rocelle, and now Yonkers. Look at Jersery City/Hoboken, and Stamford, CT. LI needs to get on board, too.
It's rare that I see eye to eye with GCGuy, but I'm in complete agreement on this one! I think Nassau is under-developed, there's no reason we can't "build up" (literally) like the aforementioned areas have, to great success.

I know you're a smart guy from reading your posts KB, but I think your perspective might be a little skewed looking west from Suffolk. There are huge differences in the basic infrastructure and age of Queens and Nassau Counties that dictates what kind of development can and will take place....most of whats here isn't going anywhere even if they built ten skyscrapers tomorrow. I just don't ever see Levitt capes or Old Westbury estates getting torn down for those god awful "space efficient workforce housing" buildings you see all over Queens now.

I do agree with your assessment that we'll likely never see any of these projects done because people here are terrified of change. It really wouldn't hurt to have a guy like Moses in charge nowadays....I know a lot of people hated him, but think where we'd be right now without all those projects!

Old 03-14-2008, 10:47 AM

I think I just shed a tear...I am not a complete jackass!!

But I agree with you as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
It's rare that I see eye to eye with GCGuy, but I'm in complete agreement on this one! I think Nassau is under-developed, there's no reason we can't "build up" (literally) like the aforementioned areas have, to great success.

I know you're a smart guy from reading your posts KB, but I think your perspective might be a little skewed looking west from Suffolk. There are huge differences in the basic infrastructure and age of Queens and Nassau Counties that dictates what kind of development can and will take place....most of whats here isn't going anywhere even if they built ten skyscrapers tomorrow. I just don't ever see Levitt capes or Old Westbury estates getting torn down for those god awful "space efficient workforce housing" buildings you see all over Queens now.

I do agree with your assessment that we'll likely never see any of these projects done because people here are terrified of change. It really wouldn't hurt to have a guy like Moses in charge nowadays....I know a lot of people hated him, but think where we'd be right now without all those projects!

Old 03-14-2008, 11:28 AM

True, you will not see the same infrastructure and simular multiple dwellings as queens but to say Nassau is under-developed? Look at the difference from 10 years ago.......where are you going to build? Hofstra would love to expand.....but where?

Look at the area of Westbury and the raceway prior to Costco being built in 1992 and now? Is that under-developed? When commerical development was done....they built townhouses next to a recycling plant! IMO.....crazy.

Nassau & Suffolk has done little to increase arterial hwys to accommodate the existing development and now they can't.

LIRR wants to put in another rail in NHP.....good luck with that....10 years of legal suits are now in the process. If you bought a house next to RR tracks, did the person think they may lose a few feet of the back yard one day?

The lighthouse and hub ideal, might be good, might not, but it will not be built (NIMBY) and if it is, it will be 20% of the original plan.

Mitchell field is mess IMO.......very strange layout.

Do you really think developing EVERY single lot in Nassau is going to help the taxes and local government?

Looking West from Suffolk , I'm awaiting Nassau's fate on Western Suffolk......What has been built in the 10 years I've been here is bad enough.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:18 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,335 times
Quote:
Do you really think developing EVERY single lot in Nassau is going to help the taxes and local government?

It will, would if it is developed with the right use....

Problem is there isn't much big property left to build the big money engine venues...there is in suffolk...but it's always a fight...always a fight with stupidity and bigots, and then they cry about big taxes....hmmmm i wonder why that is

Old 03-17-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
True, you will not see the same infrastructure and simular multiple dwellings as queens but to say Nassau is under-developed? Look at the difference from 10 years ago.......where are you going to build? Hofstra would love to expand.....but where?

Look at the area of Westbury and the raceway prior to Costco being built in 1992 and now? Is that under-developed? When commerical development was done....they built townhouses next to a recycling plant! IMO.....crazy.

Nassau & Suffolk has done little to increase arterial hwys to accommodate the existing development and now they can't.

LIRR wants to put in another rail in NHP.....good luck with that....10 years of legal suits are now in the process. If you bought a house next to RR tracks, did the person think they may lose a few feet of the back yard one day?

The lighthouse and hub ideal, might be good, might not, but it will not be built (NIMBY) and if it is, it will be 20% of the original plan.

Mitchell field is mess IMO.......very strange layout.

Looking West from Suffolk , I'm awaiting Nassau's fate on Western Suffolk......What has been built in the 10 years I've been here is bad enough.
You know how much space is wasted by massive parking lots and single story retail, etc? How much can be built up right around LIRR stations? I think there's plenty of room to grow, if as LIMA says, its done wisely and NIMBYs are snuffed out a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island