Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 09:45 PM

5 posts, read 8,012 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about add a 8'x15' shed. Town of Oyster Bay demands construction permit for sheds larger than 100 sq ft. Will this installation increase the tax? If yes, to how much could it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 09:42 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
$1865

Old 08-11-2017, 11:13 AM

21 posts, read 25,249 times
You do have to pay tax and they will make you even if you dont have much money and you get paid not much and its not fare. But why do they make you do it for a shed and why do you need it if it mostly on farms and you do live in ling island?

Old 08-18-2017, 07:05 AM
A&H

108 posts, read 456,347 times
Hi, what do you mean by $1865? How do you come to that number? Is there a formula base on the size of the shed?

Old 08-20-2017, 12:53 PM

760 posts, read 767,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solofrain View Post
I'm thinking about add a 8'x15' shed. Town of Oyster Bay demands construction permit for sheds larger than 100 sq ft. Will this installation increase the tax? If yes, to how much could it be?
Anytime you ADD anything to the property and you apply for a permit, the permit is the way they know how MUCH value you are adding, you will be taxed on the added value.
Guaranteed that when you finish the shed, at some point they will send someone around to measure and check it and that will be added along with usually a photo to your property report on the county assessors web site.
You can pretty much expect the increase to appear on the next future tax bill.

The best trick is to find out how large you can go without a permit, here in Iowa you can build a shed up to a certain size w/o a permit, once you go past a certain size you need a permit and it needs a concrete slab under it.
I built two small sheds a few years ago JUST a hair under the max no-permit size and they don't even appear on my property tax report at all.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godnearjesus View Post
You do have to pay tax and they will make you even if you dont have much money and you get paid not much and its not fare
Of course, and even if you think you "own" your house you never actually do, because fall behind one tax payment due to unemployment, accident, cancer, whatever they don't care- the county starts seizure proceedings and unless the tax and penalty is paid up immediately, YOUR house gets sold at one of the county public auctions.

My house built in 1930 had that happen to the widow around 1941 when she was 68, she couldn't keep up and the house on the 32 acres was seized and sold at a sheriff's auction for the amount due, the sheriff came to evict her and her 16 year old grand daughter, the buyer turned around less than a month later and sold it to a couple at a HUGE profit.

A 2 story older house near me recently sold at one of these auctions for the tax due on it- a couple hundred dollars, so unless the owners walked away from it and abandoned it, the county seized the house and sold it for a lousy couple hundred bucks for the tax due. It was assessed something around $20,000, right on Main street and looked to be in move-in condition and this town is NOT any kind of run down dump either!

Old 08-20-2017, 01:19 PM

430 posts, read 556,429 times
Look into one of those giant plastic Rubbermaid type sheds. Those don't count as a permanent structure and can be quite large. I also live in the Town of Oyster Bay and have seen quite a few of these going up over the past few years. I would imagine it's to avoid the permit fees and taxes.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
Look into one of those giant plastic Rubbermaid type sheds. Those don't count as a permanent structure and can be quite large. I also live in the Town of Oyster Bay and have seen quite a few of these going up over the past few years. I would imagine it's to avoid the permit fees and taxes.
You can bet the county will catch up on that apparent loophole.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:07 PM

622 posts, read 852,543 times
In Suffolk, any shed 8x10 or smaller does not need a building permit.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:32 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
You can bet the county will catch up on that apparent loophole.
You would think so, but it isn't likely. They have known about this "loophole" for many years and intentionally allow it. It basically comes down to size. Most of the time those portable sheds are under the size needed for a permit. When they aren't... I guess they are easy enough to take down and then put back up. Grey area, but hard to call them a "permanent" structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
In Suffolk, any shed 8x10 or smaller does not need a building permit.
This is not accurate. Suffolk doesn't set the rules or issue the permits. That is done at the town level.

Different towns have different rules. Brookhaven and Islip, as two examples, don't require a permit for sheds up to 144sqft. Town of Huntington requires a permit for sheds in excess of 100 sqft. Huntington also requires a permit for a second shed of any size - so that 8x10 would need a permit if it was the second shed on a property.

Even worse - Smithtown requires a permit for sheds over 50sq ft. However, they claim only _wood_ sheds over 50sqft will be assessed. For other construction materials, over 144sq ft is assessed.

Always check your town codes to be sure.

Last edited by Joe461; 08-24-2017 at 03:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island