Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2019, 10:19 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,838,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
What's it about NY and the insane tolls? When I had to get to NJ to visit relatives it always cost me about $30 just for tolls. Recently they raised it.

When I drove 2K miles across the country I paid about $2 in tolls, total. It was at this bridge in Destin, Florida. I think.

I live in a relatively poor city in a poor state, and the roads are better. I don't pay tolls at all where I live now, yet crews are everywhere doing road work. They're also making improvements, such as creating roundabouts where traffic lights were. Had to get used to them, as roundabouts are not much of a thing in the NE.
Tolls were meant to upkeep the roads, but of course that's a revenue stream now ($1mil at the GWB per 2 days perhaps?). Because we have a deficit... where's all our tax money actually going? Who here can answer?

I don't care how much you make. What they do to us - Moderator cut: language removed

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-21-2019 at 06:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 03:18 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,124,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
No problem, it just balances the idea they have half the tax with a higher population. They have a lot of money coming in that isn't/wasn't earned in the state. A simple reason why they are less concerned with a state income tax. Sales and use taxes are much more beneficial than an income tax when tourism and retirement are cottage industries.
I can agree with that, but the State, in this case New York, didn’t do anything to keep that pension money in place.When I would visit my parents in NC their peers all had at least one pension, often two. NYS could have kept a larger portion of them by not having them taxed so heavily. Of course without reducing services the taxes would just get moved onto younger workers.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:24 PM

1,773 posts, read 3,223,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Car registrations are more expensive in FL. I wouldn’t call it “ridiculously high”.
they do charge a $225 "new to Florida" fee on top of other reggie fees when transferring plates from outside the state.
A friend got a speeding ticket on I-95 in Brevard County. Ticket fee was not that bad (something like $183 for 11 over the limit). They added on a "court fee" that was pretty high though. If you went to court and contested the ticket , they also charge you for the court time if you lose.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:27 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,169,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
they do charge a $225 "new to Florida" fee on top of other reggie fees when transferring plates from outside the state.
A friend got a speeding ticket on I-95 in Brevard County. Ticket fee was not that bad (something like $183 for 11 over the limit). They added on a "court fee" that was pretty high though. If you went to court and contested the ticket , they also charge you for the court time if you lose.
If you want ridiculous look at the TAVT in Georgia for new residents. Taxing the entire current value of your out of state vehicle @ 7%.

Florida is cheap by comparison. And now with the DMV essentially killed there and operated like a business via the tax assessor’s office it’s efficient, quick and friendly.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:48 PM

15,801 posts, read 14,414,927 times
About the speeding tickets, from what I saw the speed limit tends to be 10 MPH higher down there (75 on the main highways), and they probably don't pull you over unless your well above that (80-85.) I was down there last winter, and drove from Naples to Tampa. No one was going slowly. I think you have to be really moving to get pulled over. I don't know what the local cops do around the towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
spent a year working down there (recently)

a few things I noticed that were different:
- 6% sales tax on clothing, can go to 9.5% depending on county. No first $110 non-taxable like here.
- Excessive taxes on rental cars , especially if renting out of an airport.
- Water is expensive for homeowners
- Not toll free, especially around Orlando and Tampa. You get nickel and dimed to death.
- High $$ for speeding tickets, with additional "court costs" added. If you contest and lose, even higher court costs (for wasting their time )???
- Initial car registrations are ridiculously high

But yeah, it's much much cheaper in the long run.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:53 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,169,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
About the speeding tickets, from what I saw the speed limit tends to be 10 MPH higher down there (75 on the main highways), and they probably don't pull you over unless your well above that (80-85.) I was down there last winter, and drove from Naples to Tampa. No one was going slowly. I think you have to be really moving to get pulled over. I don't know what the local cops do around the towns.
On Alligator Alley (between Miami and Naples) you definitely don’t get pulled over unless you’re more than 10 mph over the limit.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:29 PM

1,773 posts, read 3,223,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
yep he was doing 83, got written up for 76 in a 65 zone

Old 11-23-2019, 12:16 PM

174 posts, read 105,884 times
In NY, essentially you pay tolls to the TBTA (and fare to LIRR and Metro-North) to subsidize NYCTA mass transit.

Such is life.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:05 AM

15,801 posts, read 14,414,927 times
MTA (TBTA was folded into the MTA long ago.) And don't get me started about using drivers to subsidize the MTA. People need to pay for what it take to run the systems. If that means a $5 subway ride or a $500 monthly LIRR fare, so be it. No more transfer subsidies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
In NY, essentially you pay tolls to the TBTA (and fare to LIRR and Metro-North) to subsidize NYCTA mass transit.

Such is life.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:13 AM

174 posts, read 105,884 times
Thank you, Robert Moses, for giving us that marvelous entity known as the Public Authority.

LIRR, Metro-North and TBTA all were subsidiary corporations under the Metropolitan Transportation Authority aegis. Hence, by paying 6+ bucks to cross the Throggie, I am subsidizing some hipster's 3-stop ride on the dopey G train, never mind that the thing doesn't in fact go anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island