Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:52 AM

13 posts, read 39,200 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!
I am looking for a house in GC area (includes GC Park & South, New Hyde Park, Stewart Manor and Floral Park, maybe even Mineola).
Sunday, we are going to see a house in GC South (4th Str. Pl./Caroline Str.) but, mostly, we want to check out the area.
I need to be close to the LIRR and close to shopping (10-15 minuts walking).
What areas or, more specifically, streets, do you suggest that I check out in these areas (GC, NHP, SM, FP, Mineola)???
Which are the areas/streets to stay away from?
Please give me specific geografic references. I am already so confused about the borders of the different towns and the school districts!!!

Thank you so much for your help!!!
Maria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 09:19 AM

883 posts, read 3,719,540 times
I think the first decision you need to make is if you want to be in Garden City itself. It is its own enclave & is VERY different than the surrounding areas. Drive around & see if Garden City appeals to you (its beautiful IMO). No other towns in the area look like Garden City. If you want to be in Garden City itself, look for houses with a Garden City address in the Garden City school district.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:22 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Stay in the Garden city School district! Good luck!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:25 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Stay in the Garden city School district! Good luck!
She cannot afford a home in the GC school district. Her budget was 450-500. Unless she is going to buy a condo, she would be wasting her time looking there.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilena78 View Post
Hi everybody!
I am looking for a house in GC area (includes GC Park & South, New Hyde Park, Stewart Manor and Floral Park, maybe even Mineola).
Sunday, we are going to see a house in GC South (4th Str. Pl./Caroline Str.) but, mostly, we want to check out the area.
I need to be close to the LIRR and close to shopping (10-15 minuts walking).
What areas or, more specifically, streets, do you suggest that I check out in these areas (GC, NHP, SM, FP, Mineola)???
Which are the areas/streets to stay away from?
Please give me specific geografic references. I am already so confused about the borders of the different towns and the school districts!!!

Thank you so much for your help!!!
Maria

Your search is too broad for us to say "stay away from this or that". I suggest based on your budget look in Stewart Manor or Floral Park. I would not move to Mineola. Maybe NHP but your best commutes would be FP or SM (other than GC, which is out of your budget).

Other question is, are you willing to do work on a house?
Are you concerned with top notch schools or decent schools?

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 03-14-2008 at 09:36 AM..

Old 03-14-2008, 09:27 AM

883 posts, read 3,719,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
She cannot afford a home in the GC school district. Her budget was 450-500. Unless she is going to buy a condo, she would be wasting her time looking there.
Did she edit her post? I didn't see any reference to budget...

Old 03-14-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Did she edit her post? I didn't see any reference to budget...
Her previous posts, she had a few threads and I just recalled her budget.

#1 03-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Marilena78
Junior Member Join Date: Feb 2008
8 posts, read 527 times

Garden City!?!?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everybody.
We (my husbund and I) were looking for a condo in a new building in the City but prices are crazy!!!!
So we finally decided to buy an house somewhere in Long Island. I am thinking about Garden City. I work in the City so the 45 minutes commute really attracts me.
However, I don't know anything about the area.
Please could you help me to make a little clarity?
Where is the best place to buy? Garden City, GC Park, GC South, New Hyde Park, Mineola, Floral Park, Elmont, Stewart Manor?
As you can see I am really confused!
We cannot spend more than $450-500,000.00 for a 2-3 bedrooms and I need to be as close as possible to the LIRR.
Will I be able to find something for this price?
Thank you.
Maria

Old 03-14-2008, 09:32 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Yeah.......did not see the budget..........no GC home in that range. Opps!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:36 AM

13 posts, read 39,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Her previous posts, she had a few threads and I just recalled her budget.

#1 03-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Marilena78
Junior Member Join Date: Feb 2008
8 posts, read 527 times

Garden City!?!?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everybody.
We (my husbund and I) were looking for a condo in a new building in the City but prices are crazy!!!!
So we finally decided to buy an house somewhere in Long Island. I am thinking about Garden City. I work in the City so the 45 minutes commute really attracts me.
However, I don't know anything about the area.
Please could you help me to make a little clarity?
Where is the best place to buy? Garden City, GC Park, GC South, New Hyde Park, Mineola, Floral Park, Elmont, Stewart Manor?
As you can see I am really confused!
We cannot spend more than $450-500,000.00 for a 2-3 bedrooms and I need to be as close as possible to the LIRR.
Will I be able to find something for this price?
Thank you.
Maria

YES... my budget is 450-500K. So I guess GC is out!
Where should I look than? I am going out to LI on Sunday. From where I start???
I know GC is beautifull but I cannot afford it. If I cannot get the best, I'd like to get the most for my budget. Near GC, good schools, nice area, near to LIRR.
Sorry for the confusion and thank you for helping.
Maria

Old 03-14-2008, 09:40 AM

MLSLI.com - Find a Home

I just searched your budget in FP and SM, it will be tight but you could likely find something that needs work in your price range or is just very small (like the above home).

The above home is right near a really nice shopping area in SM (Covert Ave). It is walking distance to the SM train stop on the LIRR.

Map this house and drive around that area, to see SM, and FP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island