Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 03:14 PM
exm exm started this thread

3,720 posts, read 1,777,881 times

Advertisements

So more than 2 weeks ago my iPhone 7 fell out of my pocket on my way home, and I noticed it too late to go back. The train ended up parked somewhere near Huntington as its final location. I put my phone in lost mode and have been going to the LIRR Lost and Found in Penn every Monday since. However, no luck.

So I assume someone (and I'm not blaming LIRR employees) took my cellphone, and never turned it in.

What can they do with a locked iPhone? Isn't it basically a worthless piece of equipment?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 03:21 PM

732 posts, read 882,386 times
It will be used as paperweight.
Locked iphones can't do anything until it's unlocked.

Or they can use the parts for replacements.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:49 PM

562 posts, read 1,057,820 times
Have you checked Craigslist and other local lost-and-found listings? Also, if you remember what train you were on, ask the train crew if anyone found it that evening. They usually do a sweep of the car before leaving it for the night or can ask the cleaning crews.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:08 PM

731 posts, read 724,185 times
Locked iPhones can be unlocked but often just sold on Ebay overseas where none of the major carriers are going to help you retrieve it.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:23 PM

23 posts, read 18,286 times
Wow sorry to hear that I lost my I phone at the LIRR as well and put the phone on lock and was able to send a repeated message to the phone after tracking it down someone in brooklyn had the phone they answer my message and met up with me and gave me back my phone.

Maybe you can call apple and see if they can help you do the same thing. If you had insurance maybe you can also report the phone lost

Either way good luck I hope you find your phone

Old 08-29-2017, 06:48 PM
exm exm started this thread

3,720 posts, read 1,777,881 times
Checked eBay, CL, no luck. My insurance is AppleCare which doesn't cover Lost phones

Old 08-29-2017, 07:16 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
Tried Find my Iphone app?

Can iPhones place a message on the lock screen for just this reason? I put my alternate phone number on it with my Android. If not, they suck. But they suck anyway.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:36 AM

2,603 posts, read 3,398,438 times
I lost a fairly new Galaxy S5 on the LIRR a few years ago and it was never returned. I lost it on a somewhat empty train so my guess is that the conductor took it for himself. I called it a few times when I got home but after 10 minutes it started going straight to voicemail. Since it was a work phone they blocked off the IMEI so no carrier in the us will be able to use it. I really don't understand why people think that once they find a phone it's now theirs. Don't these people believe in karma? I've found several phones over the years and I returned them all. Not to mention I went out of my way to deliver lost phones to people on occasion.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:39 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
Put up a message that says "$ reward if found" and a number on the lock screen. Better for them to return it for some amount of money than to try and sell a bricked phone.

I once left my Treo 600 in a cab and an hour later called the cab company. Luckily it was still there and the cabbie drove it back to me and I gave him a nice tip. I wonder if a passenger turned it in to him or he found it himself between that time. I last found an iphone at Adventureland and turned it into the nearest ride operator. Also found a wallet under the table at an ice cream parlor and turned it into the cashier. While we were still there, a couple came back frantically looking for it and I told them the cashier had it. They were very grateful - feels good to help someone because that's how you'd want the outcome for yourself too.

Last edited by ovi8; 08-30-2017 at 06:49 AM..

Old 08-30-2017, 09:29 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,324,814 times
Can't trust the LIRR. I found a wallet w/ $400 and a monthly on the train. The guys drivers license was in there so I brought it to his house. The wife was so grateful, that it was returned w/ nothing missing. I also found a iphone owner called it and proceeded to yell at me. After he threatened me I told him your phone is on the ground at the location and to kiss my a$$ and hung up and left the phone on the ground!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: