Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:24 AM

732 posts, read 882,386 times

Advertisements

I'm in contract for a house in Town of Hempstead and was wondering if I can check when the roof was built.
Seller doesn't know and they've been living there for 12 years so it could be 12-30 years old.

Inspector says asphalt shingles roof is in satisfactory condition (estimated age 15 years) but I don't want to see a leak within 5 year of buying the house and would like to get credit if it's more than 20 years old.

Some website says you can call the town and ask when the house had a roof permit. Which department can help me with that?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 08:50 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
why stop with the roof? As for a "credit" for the windows, deck, appliances, AC, boiler, water heater and anything else that might need replacement or repair within 5 years!

Old 09-08-2017, 09:36 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,537,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
I'm in contract for a house in Town of Hempstead and was wondering if I can check when the roof was built.
Seller doesn't know and they've been living there for 12 years so it could be 12-30 years old.

Inspector says asphalt shingles roof is in satisfactory condition (estimated age 15 years) but I don't want to see a leak within 5 year of buying the house and would like to get credit if it's more than 20 years old.

Some website says you can call the town and ask when the house had a roof permit. Which department can help me with that?

TIA
Your inspector should be able to give you all the info you are looking for.

There will NO permit for the last roof installation.

Warranty from the roof manufacturer is not worth the paper its written on.

Post or send me some pics, I will give you my 2 cents.

When was the house built?

What type of roof is it? Architectural or 3 tab?

How many layers of roofing?

How is it ventilated?

What is the roof substrate?

Vaulted ceilings?

Lots of variables.....

Old 09-08-2017, 12:52 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,101,159 times
KB, you are just downright awesome!

Old 09-08-2017, 01:41 PM

48 posts, read 61,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post

TIA
Definitely worth asking.. I asked my seller for $5k in credit because they never grieved the property taxes...EVER. The agreed without countering. rationale was to allow me the opportunity to grieve and see the result. Made this a part of my first counter. It did, however, make it difficult to negotiate on other things post inspection. So i say go big on your opening ask.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:08 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
all depends on how much demand there is for the house. If I have a multiple buyers bidding on my house and one of the buyers is asking for a credit for a perfectly acceptable roof that passes inspection, I'd tell the buyer to take a hike.

If you're bidding on a house and the seller is seemingly giving in to all of your demands no matter how frivolous, you may want to think about why the seller is being so amicable.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:18 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
OP unless their is documentation for the roof any professional can only make a good faith estimate based on what they see. You want a guarantee then buy new so you will know the age of all the systems, good luck.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:48 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesUp View Post
Definitely worth asking.. I asked my seller for $5k in credit because they never grieved the property taxes...EVER. The agreed without countering. rationale was to allow me the opportunity to grieve and see the result. Made this a part of my first counter. It did, however, make it difficult to negotiate on other things post inspection. So i say go big on your opening ask.
Except in GC, where a shack will sell in an all cash deal, no inspection needed.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:59 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,404,637 times
If the roof is in fair shape, and not leaking, its doing its job. Want a new roof? Buy a new house!

Old 09-09-2017, 07:10 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,067,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Want a new roof? Buy a new house!
I know people who bought new construction & there was still problems. They just don't make them like they use to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: