Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 07:40 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Maybe because the bulk of the youth from this "wealthy and bucolic area" are attending private education options leaving the gardeners kids (so to speak) along with the regular locals to attend the schools.
This is true. I used to live in that area. Everyone I knew sent their kids to Greenvale, Freinds, or LIL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 07:46 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Perhaps a quick look on Zillow returns a list of homes that are well in excess of $1mil, maybe this upper end price point turns off buyers. Hard to know why...
I think 85dumbo paid >1m for his house in east hills zoned for roslyn SD. If you eant to buy a decent house in great neck, roslyn, etc youd have to budget >1m anyway.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:06 AM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
Originally Posted by VA Yankee
Perhaps a quick look on Zillow returns a list of homes that are well in excess of $1mil, maybe this upper end price point turns off buyers. Hard to know why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I think 85dumbo paid >1m for his house in east hills zoned for roslyn SD. If you eant to buy a decent house in great neck, roslyn, etc youd have to budget >1m anyway.
Here and there you will find some similar prices of course. LV is smaller and the critical mass of particular demographics is not there to attract more of the same demographic to the limited and generally expensive housing stock.

This is separate and apart from the fact - as noted by several posters - many of the students from the wealthier homes you might pass in the bucolic and wealthy environs - go to private schools.

Did you drive thru the modest neighborhoods near the village and thrummiddle/upper middle class Bayville? I think half of the students attending public school in the district are from Bayville.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 09-16-2017 at 09:41 AM..

Old 09-16-2017, 10:07 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
For such a wealthy and bucolic area, one would think the schools would be performing better. Even if you set aside average test scores, the district on any given year produces fewer presidential scholars, Intel/Siemens prize winners, National AP Scholars, etc. compared with Great Neck, Syosset, Roslyn, Herricks, etc. Seems like an underachieving/mediocre school system they have there. Why is this so?
Dif demographics. Disclaimer. I have worked in both districts . The Asian and Jewish immigrant community I. Those other districts value competitive academic achievment above all else. They are hungry for success and NEVER want to go back to their great grandparents horrors. Locust Valley parents are typical upper middle class Suburban values. Very different.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:26 AM

Im getting a sense that asians generally like to move into school districts that were once jewish.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:54 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,282 times
I think it would be silly to rule these places out based on SD. You aren't talking Hempstead here. I love both these areas and would be delighted to live in either place if it wasn't for the lousy city commute. Property taxes don't seem to be crushing, either.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:03 AM

It is nice to see citi-data working wherein someone who does not really know an area has a legitimate question and those of us who do can provide an explanation. When one does not know the private school impact, demographic details, relative district size, home costs, and district boundary particulars (Bayville, etc.) one can come to erroneous conclusions about LVSD.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
I think it would be silly to rule these places out based on SD. You aren't talking Hempstead here. I love both these areas and would be delighted to live in either place if it wasn't for the lousy city commute. Property taxes don't seem to be crushing, either.
I havn't head of anyone ruling out LVSD based on the school district.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
At some point, you cannot escape ruling out because you can live in only one neighborhood.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:45 AM

34 posts, read 51,755 times
My aunt and uncle live in Mill Neck (zoned for Locust Valley SD.) My cousins did Greenvale and then boarding school for high school (as did well over 50% of their classmates.) I would say 1/3 ended up at friends and the rest to public schools.

LV is really one of the last WASP enclaves where going away to boarding school at 14 is completely normal. I remember when my cousin went, all the other kids in his class were also going and they would meet up with hometown friends in the summers. But my mom (from CSH) thought they were all wacka-dos for sending away their children.

So the rest of the school district doesn't benefit from this high net worth demographic; they're getting the more blue collar kids from Bayville and the kids that couldn't get into uber-competitive private schools.

It's also important to remember that the UMC couples that would look for great public schools prioritize easy train access to the city and are turned off by LV's pretty lackluster train service (90 min to Penn from LV is pretty bad for Nassau!) So the town attracts the wealthy that live off investments and don't HAVE to commute every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island