Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:57 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,477,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Seanx4, wow I was surprised but 2 I know are very close to RR tracks.....the tudor looks interesting, must be something really bad going on on the inside!
Which ones? I know at least one of the townhouses is very close to the LIRR Hempstead Branch.....they don't even have photos of the interior of that tudor, so it must be reaaaal bad!

These three all look like winners to me, at least on a computer.....hard to tell without seeing in person. The first two are in the Hemlock section, far away from any main roads or active rails....not sure where the third is. The taxes aren't even bad on these!!!

MLSLI.com - Find a Home
MLSLI.com - Find a Home
MLSLI.com - Find a Home

mambwe - I definitely think you can afford it if you look around, but it really comes down to personal preference. You'll get a much bigger, newer house in Syosset, but in my mind and the minds of many others, there are few planned suburbs with the visual appeal and charm of Garden City. Good luck in your search, I wish you the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 04:15 PM

1,918 posts, read 7,085,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
These three all look like winners to me, at least on a computer.....hard to tell without seeing in person. The first two are in the Hemlock section, far away from any main roads or active rails....not sure where the third is. The taxes aren't even bad on these!!!

MLSLI.com - Find a Home
MLSLI.com - Find a Home
MLSLI.com - Find a Home

This is misinformation......#1 & #2 are right near a main road, Old Country Rd (see the big yellow line on the map, that's means main rd). The Courthouse is not too far from #1, and #2 is closer to Roosevelt Field Mall (hence the low taxes), which is about a half a mile East of #2. A home that close to Old Country Rd would likely be very noisy. Ideally you would want to be almost a block away if you don't wish to feel the effects of this main road.

Factoring in the price, plus the fact that they have no pictures inside which usually indicates they need extensive work....brings us to the next question. Do you want to spend 550,000-600,000 on a fixer upper to be in GC? That's a personal preference and a budget issue again.

And #3 is on NHP Road which is a very busy main road, I don't see who would be able to live on that road esp with children...It's practically like living on a highway.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 03-17-2008 at 04:33 PM..

Old 03-17-2008, 04:18 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,642,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
#1 & #2 are not far from main Roads. Old Country Rd is a very busy and often congested main road (right near Roosevelt Field Mall). #1 and #2 are probably only a couple of houses in from the corner. It would be very noisy if you are just a few homes from Old Country Rd. Factoring in the price, plus the fact that they have no pictures inside which usually indicates they need extensive work....that's the next question, do you want to spend 550,000-600,000 on a fixer upper to be in GC? That's a personal preference and a budget issue again.

And #3 is on NHP Road which is a very busy main road, I don't see who would be able to live on that road esp with children...
Agreed...the most likely will all need work. I bought in the area of the first 2, but a bit further from OCR, and I "needed" to gut it. It will most likely be for sale by a older person that hasn't done much in about 20 years.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:38 PM

520 posts, read 1,646,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Agreed...the most likely will all need work. I bought in the area of the first 2, but a bit further from OCR, and I "needed" to gut it. It will most likely be for sale by a older person that hasn't done much in about 20 years.
Thanks for posting the Links Sean!!!

They are a little to close to the main roads for me. When I grew up in Plainview we always played hockey and wiffleball in the streets and I would love for my kids to be able to as well. This is why I don't want to be on a main road. I want to be mid-block and a few streets off the nearest main road.

I'm guessing I will end up with Syosset. I like the fact that they have great school, but I feel it is a replica of Plainview. I would like to find an area that is not so close to Plainview. I don't want to do my daily shopping at the same stores that i've been shopping at since I was a little kid.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:36 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,642,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
Thanks for posting the Links Sean!!!

They are a little to close to the main roads for me. When I grew up in Plainview we always played hockey and wiffleball in the streets and I would love for my kids to be able to as well. This is why I don't want to be on a main road. I want to be mid-block and a few streets off the nearest main road.

I'm guessing I will end up with Syosset. I like the fact that they have great school, but I feel it is a replica of Plainview. I would like to find an area that is not so close to Plainview. I don't want to do my daily shopping at the same stores that i've been shopping at since I was a little kid.
The streets south of OCR are not busy with traffic, just an FYI.

That being said, where else would you consider living? Do you have to be close to a job, family, something?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
The streets south of OCR are not busy with traffic, just an FYI.

That being said, where else would you consider living? Do you have to be close to a job, family, something?
I wouldn't leave LI. I love NYC so I want to be somewhat close. Strangely enough most of my family lives in Plainview. I guess we kind of follow each other. My Fiance work in Glen Cove, but that could be changing.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:51 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,477,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
This is misinformation......#1 & #2 are right near a main road, Old Country Rd (see the big yellow line on the map, that's means main rd). The Courthouse is not too far from #1, and #2 is closer to Roosevelt Field Mall (hence the low taxes), which is about a half a mile East of #2. A home that close to Old Country Rd would likely be very noisy. Ideally you would want to be almost a block away if you don't wish to feel the effects of this main road.
Oh wow, I didn't even realize that "Map Property" button was there on MLSLI and I was scratching my head trying to figure out how you knew exactly where they were....I just figured it out from the description, and knowing that it's a pretty large neighborhood I didn't think the odds of being close to OCR were that great. You know what they say happens "when you assume..." though

Old 03-18-2008, 05:12 PM

1,918 posts, read 7,085,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Oh wow, I didn't even realize that "Map Property" button was there on MLSLI and I was scratching my head trying to figure out how you knew exactly where they were....I just figured it out from the description, and knowing that it's a pretty large neighborhood I didn't think the odds of being close to OCR were that great. You know what they say happens "when you assume..." though
Oh, you didn't know about the map feature? It is great and usually spot on accurate. You can zoom in and out as well on that map. Very handy. It is also helpful to show if you are near a park, school, or dead end.

I map properties all the time and drive to that block or intersection to find the home. Works every time.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:44 AM

I was talking with my Real Estate Agent about Garden City and he had some interesting things to say. He told me that GC is very Anti-Semitic and that they still don't let Jewish people join the private Golf Course.

What do you guys think of this?

Old 03-27-2008, 07:16 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,502,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
I was talking with my Real Estate Agent about Garden City and he had some interesting things to say. He told me that GC is very Anti-Semitic and that they still don't let Jewish people join the private Golf Course.

What do you guys think of this?
Wow that is suprising to hear. I know alot of people who live and work there and never got that feeling. I'm not Jewish so I guess I do not know for sure but again I mever got that feeling. Private golf clubs are not repesentive of a town (except the fact that the town has one!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island