Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 06:43 PM

7 posts, read 12,406 times

Advertisements

Hello guys

This is regarding Town of North Hempstead.

i have a basement we have never used other than storage and of course washer/dryer.

I want to put Sheetrock on the walls and insulation...

My reasons are

In winter it gets really cold. Secondly, it will just make it clean.

Just to clarify, there will not be any bathroom in the basement, no bedroom or any kind of room in the basement. All Sheetrock/insulation will be on the exterior walls. The basement will be one big hall.

Purpose is not to make it a living space as i do not want to increase my taxes.

Could you please let me know if i need a permit to do the Sheetrock on the walls? As i mentioned before, ONLY Sheetrock. There will NOT be any room in the basement neither there will be any bathroom.

I will only do this if i do not have to pay additional taxes. I do not mind getting a permit if one is needed. But please let me know what are my options. I will be doing the work myself.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 07:20 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Do it.
Use moisture resistant drywall.

Or, just paint the concrete walls a bright color.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Do it.
Use moisture resistant drywall.

Or, just paint the concrete walls a bright color.
Thank you for the reply.

So this is confirmed that sheetrocking myself will not need a permit?

Last edited by kashifidrees; 09-20-2017 at 09:55 PM..

Old 09-21-2017, 04:49 AM

116 posts, read 171,890 times
Confirmed. If you ever let an inspector in and he questions it, just save this thread and show him.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:44 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Having lived in TNH prior to retiring, I believe in getting a permit if you sneeze. That said, I would sheetrock and insulate and not get a permit. If you needed to have an inspection, so long as you have storage stuff there, it will never be viewed as living space. Now, that requires egress windows.

You can always say you bought it that way as it is not considered a finished basement.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:30 PM

I went to Town of north Hempstead office today. According to them... you need a permit to breathe in your own house

But basically they said that even if u have one stud on your basement wall, it is considered a finished basement.

Any thoughts here? Is this a true statement?

Old 09-21-2017, 06:22 PM

755 posts, read 1,079,475 times
LOL. So if someone here disagrees, you're going to ignore what you were told from the official Town office?

Hey, there's good news. You can get creative and finish the place without using studs.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:51 PM

ha ha ha. Nah.. i just wanted someone to bash the local govt.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:07 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I still stand on my previous comment. Of course they will tell you that you need a permit. Did you know that you need a permit to remove a tree in TNH? So long as there is no living going on there there it will not be a problem. I finished my basement that had previously been sheet rocked and had electrical outlets. I sold without a problem and no egress window. There was no bath or kitchen but there was a heat vent run off the duct work, wainscoting and chair rail and wall to wall carpeting. Never filed for a permit and had inspectors in the house twice to check electric panel for a/c unit that we bought the house with but the prior owners never filed for.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:22 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashifidrees View Post
Any thoughts here? Is this a true statement?
Does the opinion of the masses really matter when you have a FACT from the Town? Seriously?

Put up the darn insulation and sheetrock and if you ever have a problem down the road because you're selling or what ever just take it down. Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: