Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 01:32 AM

4 posts, read 2,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Thank you for the details. I live in the area and we have seen an influx in unscrupulous landlords (many illegal units) who are taking advantage of people like yourself.
[LIST=1][*]The Town of Brookhaven will not evict you.[*]The Town of Brookhaven will open an investigation into his property.[*]The landlord did not get a permit for the rental because it would increase his taxes. He isn't paying his fair share.[*]The Landlord is probably not declaring your rent as income, evading both state and federal income taxes.[*] It would be up to your landlord to evict you, and despite the apartment being illegal, you still have rights as a tenant in the courts.[/LIST]
You can file a complaint with the Town of Brookhaven Department of Law, or, what has proven to be more effective is contacting the Stony Brook Concerned Homeowners and reporting your address.

The mold issue could be very dangerous to your health if it is black mold. It is likely the landlord won't remediate it because if can be very costly.

Not paying their fair share? Taxes are RIDICULOUS here, everyone is OVERPAYING their fair share. Some responsible landlords who are illegally renting part of their house or basement are doing it to have extra income to put into their house to make it nicer. Maybe one of them lost their job or own an business that isn't doing so well. I would never rat my neighbors out unless they were doing something really bad that would warrant me to do so like loud parties, drugs, etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 05:44 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeowner78 View Post
Not paying their fair share? Taxes are RIDICULOUS here, everyone is OVERPAYING their fair share. Some responsible landlords who are illegally renting part of their house or basement are doing it to have extra income to put into their house to make it nicer. Maybe one of them lost their job or own an business that isn't doing so well. I would never rat my neighbors out unless they were doing something really bad that would warrant me to do so like loud parties, drugs, etc..
So renting out each room to a family of illegals is kosher? And it’s fair to the neighbors who also overpay their fair share?

Living on LI means adhering to the nanny state rules and paying all the taxes and fees. If people dont like it they can move south and pay a fraction of the taxes for a much bigger home.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:50 AM

91 posts, read 109,668 times
dude if you wanta leave just move he not gonna do anything because he knows that lease is worthless if apartment is illegal lease is void and if he's a real jerk report the illegal apartment to the town and let them deal with him do you have rent receipts ??? if you do see how far he really want to go with this just mention something like you hope he's been reporting that extra income to the IRS cuz when you go to the town they asked you for the receipts that should shake him up enough to eat the lease good luck

Old 04-04-2018, 12:14 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeowner78 View Post
'Responsible landlords' follow town code. Basement apartments are illegal.

If someone has to rent out a portion of their home in order to afford the taxes, upkeep or updates, they shouldn't have purchased it. Did they get in over their head? Lack of due diligence? Or just a false sense of entitlement?

If they're renting a portion of their home out and collecting cash rent aka 'extra income', they should be reporting the rent as income to both the state and federal government. Many do not.

Many of us who saved up to purchase homes in areas where there are only single family homes, who pay taxes on our single family homes, should not have to deal with those who skirt the law, who are greedy, who have made their home into a boarding house.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:22 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
'Responsible landlords' follow town code. Basement apartments are illegal.

If someone has to rent out a portion of their home in order to afford the taxes, upkeep or updates, they shouldn't have purchased it. Did they get in over their head? Lack of due diligence? Or just a false sense of entitlement?

If they're renting a portion of their home out and collecting cash rent aka 'extra income', they should be reporting the rent as income to both the state and federal government. Many do not.

Many of us who saved up to purchase homes in areas where there are only single family homes, who pay taxes on our single family homes, should not have to deal with those who skirt the law, who are greedy, who have made their home into a boarding house.
To be fair there are probably many on LI who bought when the taxes were $3K and manufacturing jobs were plenty at Grumman or other companies. Now they’re on a fixed income and the taxes are $15K.

I don’t disagree with your statement, but I’ll bet there are probably tens of thousands of homeowners hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:18 PM

755 posts, read 1,079,653 times
If it wasn’t for illegal basement apartments, poor folk like me would’ve had onlive in shelters I guess.

A lot of good people renting out illegally that take care of their property. Respectful to neighbors. Doing whatever it takes to live the American dream of owning your own home.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 490 times
Hi. I am having the same problem. I rented my first apt. And I didnt realize it was illegal. I have a family court case for visitation with my daughters and their father is very vindictive and spiteful. He told the courts I live in an illegally apt. The apt is in bayshore. I'm very scared I will be thrown out with my 2 year old son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island