Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,041 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother relocating to Long Island. My job will be located in Lake Success. Can anyone give me information on the best area for renting? I am looking for an area with the best rated elementary school, safe-low crime rate, and rent ranging $1000-$1800. Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 11:02 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,573,180 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Lake Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica08 View Post
My job will be located in Lake Success.

For those who may not be familiar with Lake Success:

Lake Success is a village (incorporated in 1927) in the central-west part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County, along the Nassau County/NYC border.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Lake Success in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of University Gardens, the Village of Russell Gardens, the Village of Thomaston and the Hamlet of Manhasset; on the east by the Hamlet of Manhasset, the Village of North Hills and the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills; on the south by the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park; and, on the west by New York City (the Nassau County/NYC line).

Lake Success is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name as part of their mailing address: places in the Village of Lake Success have a "Great Neck, NY 11020" and "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 03-17-2008, 01:43 PM

33 posts, read 84,347 times
Lake Sucess is a beautiful area. I worked in this area and attend my physicians appts in Lake Sucess for over ten years, this area is expensive it is called the North Shore of LI. There are the best private and public schools, best Hospitals (North Shore LIJ and North Shore Manhaset(Gigantic Magnet excellece status) and homes (mansions and estates). Not sure it's the best place for singles if you do not have money, but there are communities nearby you can live and commute to Lake Sucess. You will probably love this area, it is not far from NYC, yrt strictly surburban.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:20 PM

244 posts, read 664,958 times
Pretty sure you could find something in Great Neck for $1500-$1800. Good Schools and only a 10-15min drive to LakeSuccess

Old 03-17-2008, 03:15 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,476,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jali887 View Post
Lake Sucess is a beautiful area. I worked in this area and attend my physicians appts in Lake Sucess for over ten years, this area is expensive it is called the North Shore of LI. There are the best private and public schools, best Hospitals (North Shore LIJ and North Shore Manhaset(Gigantic Magnet excellece status) and homes (mansions and estates). Not sure it's the best place for singles if you do not have money, but there are communities nearby you can live and commute to Lake Sucess. You will probably love this area, it is not far from NYC, yrt strictly surburban.
The residential parts, and the actual lake that are it's namesake are indeed very nice and also very hidden! It's right on the border of Queens (NYC), and I know some people mistakenly believe it's actually in Queens!

Even with a blank check, it's virtually impossible to find a rental in Lake Success itself.....but that's no problem as there are several available in the area with a short commute, like the above poster said. Great Neck Plaza and Russel Gardens have the most buildings (note: these will just show up as "Great Neck" on craigslist and elsewhere), on the Queens side you can also find rentals in Little Neck, Douglaston and Bayside. All a relatively painless commute....these are all very low crime, upscale areas that also have rentals available - somewhat of a rarity for LI. On the Nassau side the schools are all excellent, I believe the Queens public schools in those areas are nearly as good too. You can get into Manhattan in a half hour or less if that's your thing, which is also nice.

Where are you coming from? The biggest "problem" in Great Neck is the traffic....it can get very congested and there are some awful drivers, but you get used to it. Sharpens your reflexes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island