U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-09-2010, 07:37 PM

9,343 posts, read 15,610,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Lloyd Neck is part of the Village of Lloyd Harbor :tape: ;)

Sorry, Walter, couldn't help myself ;)
That's perfectly OK, Elke.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 09:23 PM

1,919 posts, read 2,865,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike13 View Post
North Shore equals less crime, more money, better schools- sorry facts are facts- "REAL" rich people dont live on the south shore unless its the Hamptons-

Not true. Some of the richest villages in the world are in the 5 towns. If I'm not mistaken that is on the South Shore.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:29 PM

7,837 posts, read 11,725,664 times
The North shore has The Cheesecake Factory. (Four of them!)

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
This depends on what your situation is and what you're looking for.

The south shore is definitely more appealing to most people. It's full of middle class/upper middle class extroverts, more down to earth people, larger families, the best beaches (many exclusive), more convenient shopping, easier access to parkways, better LIRR - easier commute, mostly 30-55 year old mid/upper class residents and lots of kids. It's definitely more family friendly, much more stuff to do. There's no crime here and blue-ribbon schools scattered throughout (Massapequa / Massapequa park / Wantagh / Seaford /Bellmore/ Merrick along with RVC and the Five Towns. If you must live in a premier area loaded with million dollar homes, I would look into Old Harbour Green, Biltmore Shores, Nassau Shores, south of Merrick rd in Massapequa Park, and south of Merrick in Merrick. There are some ridiculous pads with lots of very nice waterfront homes.

The north shore is more appealing to older people with lots of money. It's full of introverts, mostly upper class 55-85 year olds, single-child type families that like privacy, quiet, no stores anywhere around, widows with small fortunes, wasp types, tougher commute, worse LIRR, no block parties, great schools. Crime could be lower than the South sHore (which is almost non-existent) possibly because of the low population density and it's tough to see where youre going in most areas and there's not very much around in the way of stores or landmarks and it's REAL DARK. Very easy to get lost. If I were single, no kids or only child, very private, made a couple extra hundred thousand, needed to live among uber-rich people, and hated beaches (I'm sorry but south shore white sands trump jagged rock beaches of the north, it ain't a beach if you HAVE to wear sneakers =/ ), then I would look into the North Shore for sure.

Bias much? It obvious from reading this post that you live on the South Shore. LOL! You can be the poster boy for the Nassau Merrick rd. towns with the exception of Freeport and Baldwin of course. BTW with exception of the Long Beach area, where on the South Shore of Nassau can you purchase oceanfront homes? Plenty of them in Suffolk. Have you ever been to a home sitting on a bluff overlooking the Long Island sound? That's living.

Sorry but the Nassau south shore (exceptions RVC and the 5 towns) would be the last place I would buy a home. Most of the so called million dollar homes you mentioned are in housing developments where the only real differences of the homes is the color of the house. I can still remember driving in South Merrick and seeing this ugly neighborhood where all the homes were oversized contemporaries which for one minute looked nice until I noticed there were only 4 different styles of homes in the entire neighborhood. Disgusting! With the exception of Freeport and RVC this is typical of Merrick rd towns.

Last edited by 1nevets; 10-09-2010 at 10:02 PM..

Old 10-10-2010, 06:23 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,326,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Not true. Some of the richest villages in the world are in the 5 towns. If I'm not mistaken that is on the South Shore.
I don't think so.

Brookville Tops BusinessWeek's
Top 25 Wealthiest Towns

Nine Long Island Communities on the List

By Denise Nash

BusinessWeek recently listed America's top 25 wealthiest towns, according to an analysis done by Little Rock's Gadberry Group, which ranked communities based on the average 2008 net income and 2008 net worth of their residents.
Brookville had an average net worth of $1.67 million-the highest on the list, and the average annual income of $328,000 was the nation's seventh-highest.
According to the report, the wealthiest towns are found in a number of states across the country, but there was a fair amount of clumping. For example, nine towns on Long Island's North Shore made the list: Brookville (1), Roslyn Estates (6), Oyster Bay Cove (8), Old Westbury (10), Muttontown (13 - tie), Munsey Park (13-tie), Lloyd Harbor (14) Sands Point (15) and North Hills (19).
Brookville's Mayor Caroline Z. Bazzini was proud of the distinction, but also surprised. "You only have to drive through Brookville to literally see why Brookville is such a desirable place to live, but its beauty is more than skin deep," said Mayor Bazzini. "Brookville's residents are culturally diverse and that makes for fascinating neighbors. Plus we're in the Jericho School District and it is a wonderful advantage to send your kids to one of the best schools in the nation."
Mayor Bazzini said she, as well as most residents, were surprised by the announcement that they topped the list. "Brookville isn't the kind of place that focuses on wealth, so it seems that everyone was as surprised as I was to have this unusual distinction of 'richest place in America,'" she said.
Many wealthy communities did not make the list as some of their wealthiest homeowners are not year-round residents, but rather only seasonal visitors and are not incorporated on the tax rolls. The article sited Florida's Jupiter Island and the village of Southampton on Long Island as examples.
Some interesting notes about the statistics are that all of the towns that made the list had fewer than 10,000 households and the income and net worth data were collected before the economy collapsed at the end of 2008.
Nassau County Communities on the List

Brookville (1)

Households: 848_
Average income: $328,404_
Average net worth: $1,670,075_
Roslyn Estates (6)

_Households: 359_
Average income: $298,935_
Average net worth: $1,664,191_
Oyster Bay Cove (8)

_Households: 1,050_
Average income: $317,661_
Average net worth: $1,625,524_
Old Westbury (10)

Households: 926_
Average income: $295,758
_Average net worth: $1,645,570_
Muttontown (13 - tie)

Households: 1,202_
Average income: $313,598_
Average net worth: $1,603,583_
Munsey Park (13 - tie)

Households: 850_
Average income: $279,344_
Average net worth: $1,652,375_
Sands Point (15)

_Households: 736_
Average income: $264,925_
Average net worth: $1,658,956_
North Hills (19)

_Households: 2,189_
Average income: $271,024_
Average net worth: $1,608,262_

Old 10-10-2010, 06:29 AM

1,862 posts, read 1,095,268 times
If you can afford it, the north shore obviously.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
I don't think so.

Brookville Tops BusinessWeek's
Top 25 Wealthiest Towns

Nine Long Island Communities on the List

By Denise Nash

BusinessWeek recently listed America's top 25 wealthiest towns, according to an analysis done by Little Rock's Gadberry Group, which ranked communities based on the average 2008 net income and 2008 net worth of their residents.
Brookville had an average net worth of $1.67 million-the highest on the list, and the average annual income of $328,000 was the nation's seventh-highest.
According to the report, the wealthiest towns are found in a number of states across the country, but there was a fair amount of clumping. For example, nine towns on Long Island's North Shore made the list: Brookville (1), Roslyn Estates (6), Oyster Bay Cove (8), Old Westbury (10), Muttontown (13 - tie), Munsey Park (13-tie), Lloyd Harbor (14) Sands Point (15) and North Hills (19).
Brookville's Mayor Caroline Z. Bazzini was proud of the distinction, but also surprised. "You only have to drive through Brookville to literally see why Brookville is such a desirable place to live, but its beauty is more than skin deep," said Mayor Bazzini. "Brookville's residents are culturally diverse and that makes for fascinating neighbors. Plus we're in the Jericho School District and it is a wonderful advantage to send your kids to one of the best schools in the nation."
Mayor Bazzini said she, as well as most residents, were surprised by the announcement that they topped the list. "Brookville isn't the kind of place that focuses on wealth, so it seems that everyone was as surprised as I was to have this unusual distinction of 'richest place in America,'" she said.
Many wealthy communities did not make the list as some of their wealthiest homeowners are not year-round residents, but rather only seasonal visitors and are not incorporated on the tax rolls. The article sited Florida's Jupiter Island and the village of Southampton on Long Island as examples.
Some interesting notes about the statistics are that all of the towns that made the list had fewer than 10,000 households and the income and net worth data were collected before the economy collapsed at the end of 2008.
Nassau County Communities on the List

Brookville (1)

Households: 848_
Average income: $328,404_
Average net worth: $1,670,075_
Roslyn Estates (6)

_Households: 359_
Average income: $298,935_
Average net worth: $1,664,191_
Oyster Bay Cove (8)

_Households: 1,050_
Average income: $317,661_
Average net worth: $1,625,524_
Old Westbury (10)

Households: 926_
Average income: $295,758
_Average net worth: $1,645,570_
Muttontown (13 - tie)

Households: 1,202_
Average income: $313,598_
Average net worth: $1,603,583_
Munsey Park (13 - tie)

Households: 850_
Average income: $279,344_
Average net worth: $1,652,375_
Sands Point (15)

_Households: 736_
Average income: $264,925_
Average net worth: $1,658,956_
North Hills (19)

_Households: 2,189_
Average income: $271,024_
Average net worth: $1,608,262_

I was going by median income and median price of homes. According to the info on this site, City-Data, Hewlett Harbor and Hewlett Bay Park have higher median incomes and median prices of homes than most of the towns on your list. Even exceeding Munsey Park, my favorite Nassau village, when it comes to homes. Check it out yourself. Why should I make this up? Personally I think the South Shore of Nassau sucks but I'm not going to deny the facts.. I also read somewhere that average income is a distorted view of wealth for entire town, median income is more accurate. Maybe Walter Greenspan can chime in on this one.

In the end wealth can be measured in many different ways and is completely subjective. Perfect example. Westchester median home price is 578,900, Nassau's is 509,600. So overall Westchester has more expensive homes but Nassau and Suffolk for that matter have tiny villages(most around 1000 residents per village) where homes are ultra expensive. Which data is giving you the more accurate view of the county? The county's median home price or a half dozen tiny villages that aren't typical of any USA county's wealth? Data can be distorted to prove any arguement. Just read the red light cam thread to see that.

Last edited by 1nevets; 10-10-2010 at 08:40 AM..

Old 10-10-2010, 08:16 AM

9,343 posts, read 15,610,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I also read somewhere that average income is a distorted view of wealth for entire town, median income is more accurate.
Average income can be misleading as it includes one or more exceptionally large incomes. If that is the case, then median income, the income level at which half earn less and half earn more than the median income, sort of eliminates that type of distortion and is a better income measure when comparing incomes across several communities.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Average income can be misleading as it includes one or more exceptionally large incomes. If that is the case, then median income, the income level at which half earn less and half earn more than the median income, sort of eliminates that type of distortion and is a better income measure when comparing incomes across several communities.

Thank you Walter. I can always count on you to be the voice of reason and facts.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:51 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,326,462 times
Here are your medians. I still don't see Five Towns as the richest in the WORLD.

Top 100 Cities with Highest Median Household Income (pop. 5000+)

New! We added hundreds of new lists - see our top 101 city lists.
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island