Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 6,541 times

Advertisements

North Shore equals less crime, more money, better schools- sorry facts are facts- "REAL" rich people dont live on the south shore unless its the Hamptons-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 10:44 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,304,886 times
What? No Yankee and Southerners comments?

Old 09-24-2010, 05:13 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,310,061 times
No offense to the North Shore but the North Shore all looks the same, except it gets less dense as you go more east; the North Shore is all the same story. Rich-Upper Middle Class old money with a similar backround in a hilly setting with beaches with sharp rocks.

But on the South Shore, you get all types of people and it's just more in touch with their real world and how the rest of the country is made up. You get richer and upper middle class areas like RVC, Massapequa, the Hamptons and most of West Islip and most other places So. of Montauk; then you get middle class areas which make up the majority of the South Shore such as Islip and The Babylons, Lynbrook, Moriches and The Valley Streams for example, and then you have the less affluent areas such as Hempstead, Wyandanch, Central Islip, Mastic Beach and New Cassel. It's more representative of the real world and is both diverse when it comes to income and socio-economic backround and race and you meet all different kinds of cool people.

And also, on the South Shore there is just more to do, more stores, more malls, closer to more things and is just more happening' and I know in many (not all) places in the North Shore, you have to walk a very very long distance just to get to a gas station because many richer towns were set up where they are further away from everything so it will be more quiet.

Basically, it depends what you are looking for and what you want out of a town. If you are like retired or very rich or have kids and want them sheltered or work/live in the city and want a second home in a relaxing/quiet place then the North Shore would fit your needs better. If you have a family and are single and want to be in a fun and more amusing place then the South Shore is for you. It's all a matter of preference.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 09-24-2010 at 06:12 PM..

Old 09-24-2010, 05:30 PM

188 posts, read 414,604 times
I've lived just north of the dividing line (LIE) so I guess I am considered a north shore person. The north shore is much more scenic; rolling hills, beautiful homes, etc. You can drive Northern Blvd/Rte 25A all the way from Great Neck through Port Jefferson and Rte 25 the rest of the way to Orient, most of the trip is very enjoyable. There are some quaint towns along the way.

You cannot say the same about the south shore. It is cookie cutter homes, over crowded, traffic infested, and crime ridden in many areas from the LIE south to Merrick Road/Montauk Highway along with being downright flat. South of Merrick Rd, there are some very nice areas with beautiful homes along with access to world class beaches of Fire Island. Other than that, I don't see a reason to go there at all.

The north shore offers much more from a quality of life standpoint and all of the shopping that the south shore supposedly offers up. This is a clear cut choice IMHO, the north shore clearly is the better option.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:06 PM

99 posts, read 271,714 times
I live on the north shore, and it is totally different than the south shore. Advantages to the south shore are: better beaches, better access to highways, faster trains, more downtown areas, and more places for young people to live. North shore LI is definitely more affluent and has some picturesque downtown areas. We also have better schools.

I actually like what they are doing in a lot of the south shore downtown areas, so I really think it is a better value and better for commuting if you live there.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:34 PM

19,583 posts, read 20,401,433 times
It all depends on your beaching preferences...
barefoot=south shore
shoes=north shore

I do agree the north shore needs some nude beaches. With hot chicks.
The south shore nude beaches are loaded with hags.
Total let-down for me.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:54 AM

1 posts, read 6,490 times
The North Shore would be okay if they didn't try to keep certain ethnicities out of their neighborhoods. I always wondered why rich Black folks like Eddie Murphy, Stevie Wonder, P-Diddy, Jay-zee and a few others don't all live in a Hamlet like Lloyd Neck. Why do they all flock to NJ?? snobby attitude, elitist drunks come to mind. Sucks that people can't just be people. Oh!!! I have to go get my Audi cleaned now..

Old 10-09-2010, 11:59 AM

9,918 posts, read 23,022,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdlawrence View Post
The North Shore would be okay if they didn't try to keep certain ethnicities out of their neighborhoods. I always wondered why rich Black folks like Eddie Murphy, Stevie Wonder, P-Diddy, Jay-zee and a few others don't all live in a Hamlet like Lloyd Neck. Why do they all flock to NJ?? snobby attitude, elitist drunks come to mind. Sucks that people can't just be people. Oh!!! I have to go get my Audi cleaned now..
Lloyd Neck is part of the Village of Lloyd Harbor

Sorry, Walter, couldn't help myself

Old 10-09-2010, 06:15 PM

1,724 posts, read 4,013,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdlawrence View Post
Wow, what a great first post.
Care to enlighten the rest of us as to how the North Shore is keeping Stevie and company from moving in?

Old 10-09-2010, 07:53 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,718,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepawsinn View Post
What are the major differences between the Northshore and Southshore? Would like to know anyone's opinion on which is better to them and why.
This depends on what your situation is and what you're looking for.

The south shore is definitely more appealing to most people. It's full of middle class/upper middle class extroverts, more down to earth people, larger families, the best beaches (many exclusive), more convenient shopping, easier access to parkways, better LIRR - easier commute, mostly 30-55 year old mid/upper class residents and lots of kids. It's definitely more family friendly, much more stuff to do. There's no crime here and blue-ribbon schools scattered throughout (Massapequa / Massapequa park / Wantagh / Seaford /Bellmore/ Merrick along with RVC and the Five Towns. If you must live in a premier area loaded with million dollar homes, I would look into Old Harbour Green, Biltmore Shores, Nassau Shores, south of Merrick rd in Massapequa Park, and south of Merrick in Merrick. There are some ridiculous pads with lots of very nice waterfront homes.

The north shore is more appealing to older people with lots of money. It's full of introverts, mostly upper class 55-85 year olds, single-child type families that like privacy, quiet, no stores anywhere around, widows with small fortunes, wasp types, tougher commute, worse LIRR, no block parties, great schools. Crime could be lower than the South sHore (which is almost non-existent) possibly because of the low population density and it's tough to see where youre going in most areas and there's not very much around in the way of stores or landmarks and it's REAL DARK. Very easy to get lost. If I were single, no kids or only child, very private, made a couple extra hundred thousand, needed to live among uber-rich people, and hated beaches (I'm sorry but south shore white sands trump jagged rock beaches of the north, it ain't a beach if you HAVE to wear sneakers =/ ), then I would look into the North Shore for sure.

Last edited by Pequaman; 10-09-2010 at 08:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island