Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:54 AM

245 posts, read 298,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Newsday is good to use to line a bird cage.
I mean, what is Newsday now? What model does it follow? Is there some model for a newspaper that is a daily celebrity gossip paper? They give it away free at my university, and I stopped picking it up after two views. Just garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 08:51 AM

883 posts, read 3,718,248 times
Amazing recs!!! Thanks! I hadn't heard of most of these.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:45 AM

652 posts, read 2,264,416 times
The only reason I'd need a hard copy of any newspaper is so I'd have something to read while on the thrown... ...lol...otherwise I subscribe for free on line to Slate Magazine which gives you the the top stories from varies rags through-out the country/world, not just one slanted rag. I also enjoy the blogs within SLATE.
Be well
andy
edit: Here's an example of what I mean. When SLATE comes to me each day this is what it opens with. Note all the different newspapers they attach links to.
www.slateV.com.
today's papers
Knocking on Lehman's Door
By Daniel Politi
Posted Tuesday, March 18, 2008, at 6:12 AM ET
Financial news continues to get top billing as all the papers try to digest the latest news from the Federal Reserve and the markets to figure out how far the current crisis will spread. The New York Times' lead story notes that although the stock market didn't plunge as was widely expected, there were several ups and downs as uncertainty ruled the day on Wall Street. By the end of the day, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed the day with a 0.2 percent increase, largely due to the strength of J.P. Morgan, which rose due to the widely held belief that it was able to acquire Bear Stearns at a veritable bargain. The Washington Post leads locally, but off-leads news that shares of many of the largest banks and investment firms plummeted yesterday.
The Los Angeles Times leads with a look at how many are wondering whether the Fed is taking on too much risk and for how long it can keep pumping money into the economy in its attempt to save the country from a deep recession without hurting the nation's overall finances. Over the past few days, many economists have said that the key question now is not whether the country will enter into a recession, but rather how long it will last. Ordinary Americans seem to agree. USA Today leads with a poll that shows 76 percent of Americans think the country is in a recession. In addition, 79 percent said they're worried about the possibility of a depression that could last several years. The Wall Street Journal leads its world-wide newsbox with Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao saying at a news conference that the Dalai Lama is to blame for the recent violence that has broken out in Tibet. As the protests continued to spread to other parts of China, Jiabao accused the Dalai Lama of trying to get publicity and gain influence in the run-up to the Olympics.
To continue reading, click here.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:03 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,654,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Amazing recs!!! Thanks! I hadn't heard of most of these.
Sure thing. I think they're pretty good reads, fairly current, and will make you appreciate what we have here on LI a little bit more. Enjoy it.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
We get newsday on the weekends because I enjoy the store ciculars & DH's makes a game out of highlighting the errors in the paper. WE read Dan's Paper & the north shore sun as well. I get most of my news fix from NPR.
My all time favorite Newsday gaff was in the mid paper spread shortly after they changed formats a few years ago.

Did you know, according to Newsday, that their offices are in MeLLville?

Old 09-13-2008, 08:50 AM

14 posts, read 27,411 times
Default Newsday and Cablevision

I don't watch Cablevision or read Newsday anymore. I don't think that Long Island's largest TV provider should be allowed to but Long Island's largest newspaper.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:12 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
We get newsday on the weekends because I enjoy the store ciculars & DH's makes a game out of highlighting the errors in the paper. WE read Dan's Paper & the north shore sun as well. I get most of my news fix from NPR.
Sunday NY Times and the North Shore Sun

Newsday jumped the shark years ago when It gave up on Local.

crookhaven

Old 09-13-2008, 12:15 PM

14 posts, read 27,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

crookhaven
It's too bad that The Long Island Press has never been able to make a comeback.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:27 PM

652 posts, read 2,264,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

crookhaven
Newsday jumped the shark?? You mean all print newspapers jumped the shark.

All my reading matter comes to me on line...although it gets kinda rough bringing my desktop with me into the bathroom...lol

Old 09-13-2008, 12:33 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
Newsday jumped the shark?? You mean all print newspapers jumped the shark.

All my reading matter comes to me on line...although it gets kinda rough bringing my desktop with me into the bathroom...lol

Content is king be it print or digital.

Hell I get the NYTimes on my Iphone and its awesome.

Newsdays content jumped the shark many many years ago.

crookhaven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island