Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:38 PM

14 posts, read 27,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Content is king be it print or digital.

Hell I get the NYTimes on my Iphone and its awesome.

Newsdays content jumped the shark many many years ago.

crookhaven
You can certainly bring the Iphone to the bathroom with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 01:39 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
We get newsday on the weekends because I enjoy the store ciculars & DH's makes a game out of highlighting the errors in the paper. WE read Dan's Paper & the north shore sun as well. I get most of my news fix from NPR.
Thats hilarious...my wife will not let me cancel my Newsday subscription because she likes to read it while on the treadmill...she says it is more entertaining than the tabloid magazines!

Old 09-13-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Thats hilarious...my wife will not let me cancel my Newsday subscription because she likes to read it while on the treadmill...she says it is more entertaining than the tabloid magazines!
So Sad yet so true-----------

Old 09-13-2008, 02:19 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savantcreative View Post
You can certainly bring the Iphone to the bathroom with you.
As well as Newsday for the paperwork....ouch!

crookhaven

Old 09-13-2008, 02:30 PM

Hey. That's another thing Newsday is good for-

Old 09-13-2008, 03:45 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
It's too bad that The Long Island Press has never been able to make a comeback.

Well, they do have that free weekly Long Island Press which although it does have some boring and even silly columnists (like they used to have Amy Fisher lol) , it is for the most part very well-written & often features a lot of controversial stories .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-13-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
It's too bad that The Long Island Press has never been able to make a comeback.

Well, they do have that free weekly Long Island Press which although it does have some boring and even silly columnists (like they used to have Amy Fisher lol) , it is for the most part very well-written & often features a lot of controversial stories .
I believe that it owned by The Moorey (sp?)Corporation. They also own Race Palace in Plainview. The paper has no weight to it. The fact that it's free is not likely to ever make it a contender of Newsday either-

Old 09-14-2008, 07:45 AM

62 posts, read 239,985 times
Besides Newsday, we get the Port News. It's essentially worthless, as are most town papers, because if you read restaurant reviews (or reviews of any new, locally-owned stores) in any of them, you'll find all the reviews positive. There is never even a slightly negative comment to be found. The reason is obvious -- advertising revenue. After all, you can't give anything but glowing reviews to a potential advertiser, can you?

So you basically have to read the reviews as free advertisements.

Otherwise, though, it's nice to read about the schools, sports, yachting, etc.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Ever View Post
Besides Newsday, we get the Port News. It's essentially worthless, as are most town papers, because if you read restaurant reviews (or reviews of any new, locally-owned stores) in any of them, you'll find all the reviews positive. There is never even a slightly negative comment to be found. The reason is obvious -- advertising revenue. After all, you can't give anything but glowing reviews to a potential advertiser, can you?

So you basically have to read the reviews as free advertisements.

Otherwise, though, it's nice to read about the schools, sports, yachting, etc.
I know what you mean. It is almost impossible to get objective news of any kind these days but the local reviews are a real problem.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:44 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Even New York magazine does that.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island