Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 09:13 PM

323 posts, read 940,817 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone! I'll be staying the night in Commack at a hotel so I should have some time to explore tomorrow night after the interview and in the morning before I fly out at 4.

I've got to throw in one more required tourist type question:

Where would you go for NY style pizza near Hauppage?

Maybe something in Huntington or Northport since I'll probably drive up that way after the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 02:59 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Not just recently...

November 2009: Murder of Christopher Hamilton, 19, as part of gang initiation.

February/March 2010: Murder of David Sandler, 21, and the attempted murder of Aaron Galan, 20. MS-13 gang members lured Sandler, whom the gang believed was a member of the rival Latin Kings gang, to Timberline Drive in Brentwood under the pretext of buying marijuana from him. Once Sandler arrived, a gang member shot him in the face at close range, killing him. Galan was also shot in the face and survived.

February 2014: Brentwood gang members murdered a fellow gang member they believed was cooperating with police. They dumped his body on an east end beach.

July 2014: Murder of Jose Lainez-Murcia, who was shot and killed while sitting in a car outside his Brentwood home because the alleged killer believed the victim was an assassin who had killed MS-13 members in El Salvador.

June 2015: Three teenaged MS-13 members charged with the rape of a 16-year-old girl.
September 2016: Murder of Nisa Mickens, 15, and Kayla Cuevas, 16, and the discovery of the remains of two teenage boys.

October 2016: Murder of Dewann Stacks, 34.
Yes but it seems to have been disproportionately high since 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Are you kidding me? Like any boring Suffolk hamlet? Seriously 1995. Stop with the SJW insanity you sound like a fool. Next thing you know you’ll say East NY is like any other boring Brooklyn neighborhood. SMH
I said it looks and feels like any other boring Suffolk hamlet, I didn't say it had the exact same crime rate as every other Suffolk hamlet. Seriously, I've been there a few times and it was quiet, and had the same cookie cutter not fancy, but not run down look that I've seen in many parts of Suffolk.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:50 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
Thanks everyone! I'll be staying the night in Commack at a hotel so I should have some time to explore tomorrow night after the interview and in the morning before I fly out at 4.

Maybe something in Huntington or Northport since I'll probably drive up that way after the interview.
There are more Italian and pizza places than there are Starbucks. If you want something that will give you the feel of NY try a slice at Little Vincent’s in downtown Huntington. Won’t be the best slice ever, but the atmosphere is Long Island. Cash only (you will learn what this means if you live on LI, especially the meaning of “cash cash” if you get work done).

Old 11-15-2017, 05:42 AM

345 posts, read 338,784 times
Quote:
There are more Italian and pizza places than there are Starbucks. If you want something that will give you the feel of NY try a slice at Little Vincent’s in downtown Huntington. Won’t be the best slice ever, but the atmosphere is Long Island. Cash only (you will learn what this means if you live on LI, especially the meaning of “cash cash” if you get work done).
Make sure its a cold cheese slice. Then go to around the block to Rosa's and get a chicken parm slice. Stop at Sapsucker's in between for a beer.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:28 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Quote:

Emilios in Commack

Branchilli's Hauppauge

Safe trip!

Old 11-20-2017, 03:49 PM

Well it's official! I just accepted the job. Salary wasn't as high as I had hoped for at $85K but I can live with it. This is a far better job opportunity than I had on the table otherwise.

So from here on out I'll probably be asking more specific questions related to locations that I could be moving to.

I found one rental that has pretty good appeal to me so far:

http://www.mlsli.com/rentals/218-She...1779-222440152

It's at 218 Shelter Rd. in Ronkonkoma. Looks like that could be a 20 min. drive going west on LIE or going a bit north and taking some surface streets.

The appealing part to me is that it's a stand alone house, albeit small but I wouldn't be in an apartment situation. It's also catching my interest because it has a big enough asphalt driveway to put 2 cars on it and that's fenced in.

As I've stated I'd really like to bring my second car out here which is pretty much my weekend toy. It's an old VW hatchback and I like to do the work on it myself.

So that brings up some questions for me.

Are there usually city ordinances against working on your own vehicle in your driveway?

Or is this a "mind your own damn business it's my own house" type of deal?

I don't intend to tear it apart and leave parts scattered all over the driveway and yard, but I would fully intend to put it up on jack stands and do the brakes, etc.

It also looks like from the google street view that someone in the past had a "carport tent" like this setup in the driveway:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...3893_200333893

Would this probably be considered legal?

If so I could literally work on the car inside of there and no one would see it plus I wouldn't have to pay for winter storage.

Any thoughts on Ronkonkoma?

Looks like I'd be about 10 min. from the Ronkonkoma LIRR stop too so that would be good.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:14 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Well it's official! I just accepted the job. Salary wasn't as high as I had hoped for at $85K but I can live with it. This is a far better job opportunity than I had on the table otherwise.

So from here on out I'll probably be asking more specific questions related to locations that I could be moving to.

I found one rental that has pretty good appeal to me so far:

http://www.mlsli.com/rentals/218-She...1779-222440152

It's at 218 Shelter Rd. in Ronkonkoma. Looks like that could be a 20 min. drive going west on LIE or going a bit north and taking some surface streets.

The appealing part to me is that it's a stand alone house, albeit small but I wouldn't be in an apartment situation. It's also catching my interest because it has a big enough asphalt driveway to put 2 cars on it and that's fenced in.

As I've stated I'd really like to bring my second car out here which is pretty much my weekend toy. It's an old VW hatchback and I like to do the work on it myself.

So that brings up some questions for me.

Are there usually city ordinances against working on your own vehicle in your driveway?

Or is this a "mind your own damn business it's my own house" type of deal?

I don't intend to tear it apart and leave parts scattered all over the driveway and yard, but I would fully intend to put it up on jack stands and do the brakes, etc.

It also looks like from the google street view that someone in the past had a "carport tent" like this setup in the driveway:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...3893_200333893

Would this probably be considered legal?

If so I could literally work on the car inside of there and no one would see it plus I wouldn't have to pay for winter storage.

Any thoughts on Ronkonkoma?

Looks like I'd be about 10 min. from the Ronkonkoma LIRR stop too so that would be good.
I am not going to be any help on the home, but....what hours are you working or put better what time do you start & leave and how many miles door to door. You are going WITH traffic so your gestimate of 20 minutes may be off by quite a bit. I did a reverse commute and it took me 35-40 minutes to go 13 miles door to door.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:52 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Congratulations!

The house seems perfect for a single person. I would ask the landlord about the carport tent, but you should be fine about working on your own car, etc.

As to the commute, the LIE is the most direct route but perhaps not the quickest. Motor Parkway may be faster, or back roads. All depends on the time of day.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am not going to be any help on the home, but....what hours are you working or put better what time do you start & leave and how many miles door to door. You are going WITH traffic so your gestimate of 20 minutes may be off by quite a bit. I did a reverse commute and it took me 35-40 minutes to go 13 miles door to door.
True. I'll probably find out what my regular office hours are tomorrow when I talk to HR and my new boss more. As a rule of thumb would twice what google is saying for "normal" traffic be close?

Old 11-20-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Congratulations!

The house seems perfect for a single person. I would ask the landlord about the carport tent, but you should be fine about working on your own car, etc.

As to the commute, the LIE is the most direct route but perhaps not the quickest. Motor Parkway may be faster, or back roads. All depends on the time of day.
Thanks. Glad to know they probably won't be that picky about working on vehicles. If this one is still available when I'm getting ready to come out and go apartment hunting I'll have to ask them about the tent being okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island