Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:14 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times

Advertisements

Friends of ours bought this exact same model in Bellecrest about four years ago for $350k. It was a mess when they took possession. They did a complete rip-and-replace of the full bathroom and a partial kitchen renovation all on their own using friends and family. They also needed a new roof. However the total cost for them in the first ninety days with all these projects was less than $15k.

However Bellecrest is a great area for families and Bellerose Elementary has a solid reputation (the principal Barbara Falatico is top-notch). Plus the street where the house is located is toward the back section of the neighborhood which should cut down on traffic and allow children to play in front of the house.

Based on the current market condition I would make a low-ball offer (sub $350k) and see where it goes from there.

For what it's worth I just completed a kitchen renovation where the only thing not new was the cabinets (had them professionally painted) and it cost just about $10k. Much of what needs to be done can likely be spread out over several years so even if the blind estimates of $100k are accurate it doesn't necessarily require you do it all at once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 08:51 AM

137 posts, read 744,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmax View Post
http://www.mlsli.com/unidetailsredo....start=1&rpp=25

What's wrong with this house? It needs some updating, and I guess has a small plot of land. But the taxes are low, and it is on a deadend street - the other houses in the area look nice - it has CAC - Good School District.

Bellecrest area of East Northport. Near Northport Veterans Hospital and Veterans Park - According to the map - it is kinda near the train.

Am I missing something?
Its all about the wallpapaer! The whole house is too dark. I would remove all wallpaper, and paint neutal colors. You will be amazed at the difference it will make. I know this is a tedious process, cause Ive done it myself, but well worth the aches and pains!
I wouldnt put any $ into landscaping, the lot is nice. I also whould not but any $ into the cabinets in the kitchen. Whoever buys it will blow out the entire kitchen, so its pointless. If no one lives there, I would remove all furniture. Its very dated and makes the house appear old. Price seems good to me.
Just my opinion. Best of luck.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:09 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
This particular property was bought by a builder from an estate. Closed in December 2007.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:09 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Friends of ours bought this exact same model in Bellecrest about four years ago for $350k. It was a mess when they took possession. They did a complete rip-and-replace of the full bathroom and a partial kitchen renovation all on their own using friends and family. They also needed a new roof. However the total cost for them in the first ninety days with all these projects was less than $15k.

However Bellecrest is a great area for families and Bellerose Elementary has a solid reputation (the principal Barbara Falatico is top-notch). Plus the street where the house is located is toward the back section of the neighborhood which should cut down on traffic and allow children to play in front of the house.

Based on the current market condition I would make a low-ball offer (sub $350k) and see where it goes from there.

For what it's worth I just completed a kitchen renovation where the only thing not new was the cabinets (had them professionally painted) and it cost just about $10k. Much of what needs to be done can likely be spread out over several years so even if the blind estimates of $100k are accurate it doesn't necessarily require you do it all at once.
Complete gut? Plumbing and electric to code or reused existing plumbing and wiring? Licensed plumbers and electricians? Rot or insect damage? What sort of countertops -- or were those reused, too? What type of flooring?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island