Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 04:49 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times

Advertisements

Commuting from Suffolk to the Five Towns? You'll wish you paid up for the Nassau rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 04:56 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Commuting from Suffolk to the Five Towns? You'll wish you paid up for the Nassau rent.
If he lives in the Bay Shore area then he can take Ocean Pkwy and then Merrick Rd; which isn't THAT bad compared to many Long Islander's commute.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:19 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Two things wrong in your thinking, pocketbook and commute time. Try Queens, a little north of the 5 towns and you will be doing the reverse commute, it might be a bit better.

And by the way, what I or anyone else here considers affordable, has no significance to you because we are not paying the bills. Forgive me, but in my mind, it seems counter productive to play a game with us to see if we can tell you, what we "think" is affordable, just saying.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:20 PM

881 posts, read 614,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
Check Craigslist
Lots of illegal rentals at low prices that include utilities but also risky.
Yeah, I'd noticed!

But what's the risk? You mean fire -- or town authorities busting in declaring an illegal residence and kickin' tenants out??

Old 11-21-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
There's a shortage of rentals on Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk County), especially "affordable" ones. Don't know what you're thinking in terms of "affordable". If you don't want to buy a car, that limits you regarding location; without knowing more details (I'm not asking!) I can't give more detailed information.
Like I'd said, I'm being deliberately vague 'cause I want to see what folks themselves consider "affordable."

Quote:
Having to buy a car, paying for gas if the apartment is far, plus insurance - you wouldn't make up that difference by going to Suffolk--except possibly a few areas, not at all close to the Nassau border.
Yeah, no, I had in mind far out ("an hour" or more by car) in Suffolk were I to do that!

Quote:
Sorry, I don't deal with illegal rentals...
Ah, well, that answers my question, then!

Old 11-21-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
You can get a studio in somebody's house for $800-1300/mo. 1 bedrooms in private houses generally start at $1250.

Apartment complexes are FAR more expensive and generally START at $1400 for a studio in Nassau/Western Suffolk. 1 bdr apartments in complexes generally start at $1600.

I highly recommend Craigslist though you must exercise caution.
Thanks for the insight!

I'm familiar with Craig's List for city properties but yeah, I'd expect the same caution necessary for L.I. listings!

Old 11-21-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Less than $1,000 for a studio? Would love to know where - I have tenants who'd jump at the chance! Even for $1,300...
And I'm not talking apartment complexes.
Craig's List, of course -- Brentwood and those kinds of places, naturally...I've seen 'em.

Not too into the whole MS-13 thing, though, so I have to keep looking (I see Elmont listings, too; I can tolerate Elmont, I think!)....

Old 11-21-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thgreatalex View Post
They make it work by working 7 days a week, multiple jobs in some cases. Ive always admired this type of work ethic, regardless of citizenship.
Hmm, okay, I guess...though aren't they big church-goers, too? So someone's gotta take at least Sunday mornings off! Besides, who's minding the kids?? I know older siblings do oftentimes...but that often results in a lot of problems, too (latchkey children and all that)....

I used to admire such a "work ethic" when I was young and starry-eyed, too -- but honestly, many folks work like that only because they have to, whether financially (which is most often the case) or psychologically (they just don't know what else to do with themselves otherwise)...very few are like artists, say, who work out of love and passion.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I think Memory Maker's figures are on the low side.

Maybe, you can find an illegal apartment in Inwood?

I have a friend who has a co-op in Hewlett and has rented it out before. Right now, he wants to sell it, but he's having problems selling it because it's not in the best shape. He might be open to renting it again as it is sitting empty. What is your budget?
Budget? A grand a month...I know, not likely! Maybe another hundred on top of that...maybe another two if it's somehow really up my alley -- I know, I know; not likely!

Yes, Inwood...Valley Stream, East Rockaway, I'm really open to wherever, practically. I'm just askin' around 'cause I was curious what other folks' own sense of the market would be.

And yes, I was a bit surprised by Memory Maker's figures, too! Though he may have had Craig's List "illegals" in mind....

Old 11-21-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Last year, I paid $1250 for a one tiny bedroom apartment in a residence in SW Suffolk. However, there was nothing included except for water. So there are deals out there.
Some deal! Comparable to listings in the city. Still, thanks for letting me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island