U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 03:24 AM

104 posts, read 229,859 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I'm from CA, live in France, and am thinking of moving family to LI.

But I'm trying to get my head around the differences in each county.

1- Is it generally the case that, from West to East, the island simply gets more expensive and less populous?

2- Is there a noticeable difference in price and vibe from East Nassau to West Suffolk to Mid Suffolk?

3- With the exception of the lower end of Nassau, is quality of life (schools, community spirit, traffic, crime rate, etc.) *generally* the same across the island?

I'm a professor (online), wife is graphic designer and we have three girls ( 12, 10, 7) so schools, safety and housing costs are key factors.

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

Thank you!

-EJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 06:14 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,109,071 times
Uh-oh. Here comes the pile-on.

Why consider LI if you don't need to be here for a NYC job? Look at the geography. Water levels are rising and storms are getting stronger. If you're looking to be close to the city, surrounding areas on the mainland better value and you wouldn't be trapped here by the NYC bottleneck. It costs almost $30 to get off of LI and into NJ.

Price is largely dictated by school district and proximity to NYC. The LI job market has been decimated by the aerospace industry leaving and taxes that will shock you. The local governments literally bribe companies to stay/relocate here because it's a terrible place to do business. Homeowners make up the tax shortfall.

Suffolk is cheaper and more pleasant than Nassau, largely because of less density and it's far from the city. Traffic is terrible and Nassau is so broke they can't maintain the roads.

On the plus side, there's plenty of food variety, culture and quality schools here. The beaches are nice, but not nicer than in Santa Monica.

Also, people are grumpy here. Move to LI and you'll understand.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:10 AM

1,754 posts, read 1,451,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlorge View Post
Hello Everyone,

1- Is it generally the case that, from West to East, the island simply gets more expensive and less populous?

2- Is there a noticeable difference in price and vibe from East Nassau to West Suffolk to Mid Suffolk?

3- With the exception of the lower end of Nassau, is quality of life (schools, community spirit, traffic, crime rate, etc.) *generally* the same across the island?

I'm a professor (online), wife is graphic designer and we have three girls ( 12, 10, 7) so schools, safety and housing costs are key factors.

Thank you!

-EJ
It's more populous and expensive in western Nassau (closer to NYC) than eastern Suffolk, and the north shore is more expensive than the south shore. Schools, while generally good, can vary greatly by area as will traffic and crime. Home prices can be staggering here; decent homes in Nassau are easily 500K in most areas.

Many will tell you not to move here, but everyone's situation is different. We left North Carolina several years ago and moved to Nassau County, and we're far better off here than we were in the south. As with any major move, make sure you do your research before pulling the trigger.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:49 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,060,523 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Thank you!

-EJ
1. True.

2. As stated above, home prices/taxes/densities/age of homes do TEND to decrease as you get farther away from the city. On the flip-side, commuting time and costs also significant increase as you go east. Generally, the North Shore and the waterfront areas of the South Shore tend to be the nicest areas on the island.

SOUTH SHORE VIBES-

SW Nassau: Similar to the suburban parts of Eastern Queens; except with slightly larger property sizes. Many modest homes have been purchased and expanded to cater to higher-income buyers. Many towns and school systems here are pretty diverse. The school systems are generally okay to good (with Freeport SD needing the most improvement). Many middle class Queens families with a budget specifically choose these areas because the schools are much better than NYC public schools and homes aren't too expensive yet. Homes probably average at about $500k. Hewlett and Woodmere are known for its large Jewish population and can get very expensive.
- Examples: Valley Stream, Elmont, Franklin Square, Lynbrook, Baldwin, Oceanside, Freeport, Hewlett, Cedarhurst, Woodmere.

Central Nassau: The heart of Nassau with a lot of commercial and government activity. In Central Nassau, there's the Roosevelt Field Mall (one of the largest malls in America), many colleges like Hofstra/Adelphi/NCC, the Islanders stadium, large office buildings, etc. Hempstead and Uniondale are a bit on the rougher side. The schools range from bad (Hempstead, Westbury) to excellent (Garden City). Home prices vary sharply from about $375k for Hempstead to well over 1 million for Garden City.
- Examples: Hempstead, Garden City, East Meadow, Uniondale, Westbury, etc.

SE Nassau: SE Nassau is mostly middle class sprawl; many houses have been expanded to accommodate high-income buyers ESPECIALLY in areas near the water. Residential SE Nassau streets almost always have sidewalks on both sides of the road while its very common for SW Suffolk neighborhoods to have no sidewalk (or a sidewalk on only one side of the road). SE Nassau is over 90% white with a very strong Italian-American presence (South Merrick is heavily Jewish). School systems consistently are ranked very well. Homes probably average to about $450k away from the water but average around $600k close to the water. Towns with "North" in it are usually cheaper than the waterfront neighborhoods:
- Merrick, Bellmore, Seaford, Wantagh, Massapequa, Bethpage, North Bellmore, North Wantagh, North Massapequa, Bethpage ).

SW Suffolk: Mostly middle class sprawl and strip malls like SE Nassau. There are some historic downtown areas like Babylon Village, Amityville Village and Bay Shore Village that have a lot of charm. SW Suffolk probably has the largest blue-collar population on Long Island. There are some rougher spots like Wyandanch and Brentwood; which are still very suburban. Many of the neighborhoods and school systems in both SW Suffolk and NW Suffolk are diverse. School systems range from bad (Wyandanch SD, Brentwood SD) to okay (Deer Park SD, North Babylon SD, Bay Shore SD, Lindenhurst SD) to good (Babylon SD). Home prices average at about $400k in the better areas and average $320k in the rougher spots; homes near the water in Babylon, Bay Shore, Brightwaters and the Islip's can cost well over $700k.
- Examples: Lindenhurst, Copiague, Babylon, Deer Park, Brentwood, Bay Shore, Islip).

Central Suffolk: Has bigger properties, slightly newer homes and more open-space. Not much to do there in most cases; except for the typical suburban strip mall things. For most people, its too far from NYC and too far from the Hamptons to be appealing. Most people here tend to work in the office parks instead of deal with a grueling commute to the city. Homes probably average at about $350k. Homes in the Mastic Beach and North Bellport area tend to be the cheapest on Long Island probably having an average cost of less than $250k.
- Examples: Ronkonkoma, Farmingville, Patchogue, Holtsville, Oakdale, Bohemia, Sayville).

NORTH SHORE VIBES (Going West to East)-

NW Nassau: Extremely wealthy and expensive area. Expect to pay over $1 million for an average house. Equally, if not more wealthy than NE Nassau, but NW Nassau tends to have a higher density than NE Nassau thus being far more convenient to NYC Commuters. Certain towns in NW Nassau like North Hills have gated communities made up of townhouses that go for well over $1.5 million. The school systems here are top-notch.
- Examples: Manhasset, Roslyn, Port Washington, Great Neck, East Hills).

NE Nassau: Outside of the downtown areas, NE Nassau is mostly made up of mansions on very large properties in a rural-like setting. The town centers tend to be a hit-or-miss so they're either extremely quaint like Oyster Bay or filled with illegal aliens like PARTS of Glen Cove. The school systems here are mostly top-notch.Homes probably average at $2 million.
- Examples: Old Westbury, Upper Brookville, Woodbury, Oyster Bay, Muttontown, Jericho, etc).

NW Suffolk: Still expensive and affluent but generally cheaper than the north shore of Nassau. Most areas near the water have a lot of Old Money. Certain inland areas like Dix Hills are also pretty wealthy. Hauppauge and Lower Melville have a lot of office parks so this is a major job center of Long Island. Most of the school systems are fairly diverse and they rank from okay (Huntington, S. Huntington) to top-notch (Half Hollow Hills, Cold Spring Harbor, Commack, Harborfields). Homes probably average at $800k.
- Examples: Huntington, Melville, Dix Hills, Centerport, Northport, Commack).

NE Suffolk: Still fairly affluent (especially by the water) but more solidly middle class than anything. Pretty much centered around Stony Brook University, the Smithaven Mall and Brookhaven National Lab. Mostly white and not that diverse (except for international students). Schools are generally okay to good. Homes probably average at $450k.
- Examples: Stony Brook, Port Jefferson, Miller Place).

EAST END VIBES-

The East End (in Suffolk County):
- The Hamptons: Known to be popular summer party destination for celebrities and well-off NYC residents. Many celebrity summer estates and quaint downtowns. Hampton Bays has most of the working classes and a lot of "the help".
- North Fork: Calm and has a lot of vineyards.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 11-26-2017 at 09:02 AM..

Old 11-26-2017, 09:19 AM
Status: "old man working on anger management issues" (set 21 days ago)

1,335 posts, read 2,493,234 times
In Nassau county , if you park facing the wrong way on a residential street, you will receive a ticket within a microsecond. In Suffolk county, it's acceptable and almost encouraged.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
1. True.

2. As stated above, home prices/taxes/densities/age of homes do TEND to decrease as you get farther away from the city. On the flip-side, commuting time and costs also significant increase as you go east. Generally, the North Shore and the waterfront areas of the South Shore tend to be the nicest areas on the island.

SOUTH SHORE VIBES... EAST END VIBES-

The East End (in Suffolk County):
- The Hamptons: Known to be popular summer party destination for celebrities and well-off NYC residents. Many celebrity summer estates and quaint downtowns. Hampton Bays has most of the working classes and a lot of "the help".
- North Fork: Calm and has a lot of vineyards.
That was an epic summary. In fact, Stony Brook area was one area we've been looking.

I have a much better idea now, thank you.

Last edited by ejlorge; 11-26-2017 at 09:31 AM..

Old 11-26-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
We left North Carolina several years ago and moved to Nassau County, and we're far better off here than we were in the south. As with any major move, make sure you do your research before pulling the trigger.
Thanks.

Funny you should mention it, because North Carolina has also been on our short list (with Maryland).

May I ask what it was about NC that made you leave?

Old 11-26-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Uh-oh. Here comes the pile-on.

Why consider LI if you don't need to be here for a NYC job?
Ouch! That was harsh. But thank you for speaking your mind.

In truth, I'm looking for a kind of old school surf/beach community that I was use to in Southern Ca, but on the East Coast and connected to a major city/airport AND nature.

From what I've gathered Long Island has that.

The rising waters and storm frequency/severity has given me second thoughts, though. However that will be the case anywhere up and down the Eastern Seaboard.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:34 AM

1,754 posts, read 1,451,618 times
Quote:
Thanks.

Funny you should mention it, because North Carolina has also been on our short list (with Maryland).

May I ask what it was about NC that made you leave?
Local politics, the quality of public education, rampant bigotry, lack of economic growth in the area we lived, lack of growth in my profession, the ability to earn much more in other areas of the country......

We could have found other areas in the south, and possibly in NC, that would have offered an improvement, but the cost of relocating to one of those wasn't much less than relocating to Long Island. And Long Island offered both far greater income potential and access to large Jewish communities.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:44 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,728,016 times
If you don't have to be here, then run far away. It's just not worth it financially, even if you make a very good living. I love LI, and it'll always be my home, but I can't wait to get out of here again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or