Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 03:14 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
How does an electric furnace emit CO? There is no combustion involved.

I will agree that the potential for a boiler system to disburse CO is less, but the OP is asking about Forced Air systems.

Even the Boiler system is subject to a CO leak, but is less likely to express that CO through the ducting system so it will concentrate in the boiler room rather than disburse. I am not sure how the base leakage would be significantly different, but the dispersion would be vastly different between the two types of systems.

I am not an engineer or inspector, so perhaps you can educate me on why I am wrong on this topic. I was always told the inefficiency of the flame was what increased the production of CO.

All flame produces some CO byproduct, and this is normally exhausted into the outside environment by the flue. In the case of a clogged flue or a cracked heat exchanger, this CO can be drawn into the interior environment at higher levels than would normally be possible.
Ok electric furnace does not produce CO. In terms of CO safety, they would be the safest. LI , electric is too expensive so I rarely see these and rarely installed.

Boiler could be a CO safety hazard if the chimney flue was blocked, flue gas will back up into the boiler room.

Same exact issue can happen to a furnace.

A furnace can also leak flue gas thru a cracked or rusted heat exchanger when there is no issue with the chimney, therefore doubling the chances for a CO hazard. Plus, as you mentioned, the duct work distributes thru the the house. Very bad if there are sleeping elderly or children.

A poor flame setting will increase the amount of CO produced, that is correct. But the purpose of the heat exchanger is to prevent any conmingling of flue gas and conditioned air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 03:14 PM

21 posts, read 71,051 times
the house is in the north bellmore, east meadow area. The unit is in the basement, and has maintainance records for many years until 2006 (when home was vacant)

We don't have kids yet, but I'm sure we will in the future, no elderly at the moment

Old 03-20-2008, 03:17 PM

The cost for a heat exchanger inspection is $200.00 that will include a report.

If you need a termite inspection, I can include it while I'm there.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:21 PM

[SIZE=3]Here are some of the possible causes of failure in a heat exchanger:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]1)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Furnace BTUH is oversized for the house. (This causes excessive corrosion.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]2)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]There is not enough return air going through the furnace. (This causes metal stress, cracks and open welds or seams.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]3)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]The one inch pleated furnace is restricting air across the heat exchanger. (This causes metal stress, cracks and open seams.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]4)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]The furnace filters are not changed often enough which restricts air across the heat exchanger. (This causes metal stress, cracks and open seams.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]5)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Exposure to gasses from household chemicals such as bleach, fabric softener, hair spray etc. (This causes excessive corrosion.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]6)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]The furnace was running during cold weather home construction. The out-gassing from the construction materials can damage the heat exchanger. (This causes excessive corrosion, metal stress, cracks and open seams.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]7)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Water leaks from a humidifier that is not maintained often enough. (This causes excessive corrosion.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Water leaks from an air conditioning system’s indoor coil. (This causes excessive corrosion.) This can be caused by:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]a.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]A refrigerant leak. The indoor coil ices up[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]b.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]A rusty or cracked drain pan.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]c.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]A poor refrigerant charge. The indoor coil ices up.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]d.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]A very dirty filter or one-inch pleated furnace filter.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]e.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]A very dirty indoor evaporator coil.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]f.[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]An Electronic Air Cleaner not washed often enough. (monthly)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]9)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]A manufacturing process that is not checked for accuracy often enough.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]10)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]A poor manufacturing design.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Even a very small crack in the heat exchanger should be addressed immediately. You should not “wait and see what happens”. There are several reasons for this.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]A small crack could become a large crack at any time, and could create a health hazard. In addition, some cracks become large during the furnace operation and shrink to nearly closed during the cool-down operation.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]2)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]When we find one crack, there is usually more. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]3)[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]One furnace manufacturer writes that “a heat exchanger assemble that leaks liquid will also leak CO”. and goes so far as to recommended not using a furnace that has a leak in the heat exchanger assembly. [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island