Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 09:28 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Mass hysteria?
Everyone is running out and buying milk, bread, eggs, and getting their nails done?
Won't be able to do all those things after the tax bill. Where will all the Mexicans and Asians go for work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 10:14 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
The "wonderful" part of all this is that our tax money will go to give tax breaks to large corporations and the super rich so they can create more jobs for the rest of us... Thanks GOP!
Corp taxes on profits s/b ZERO as the money is taxed twice when distributed as dividends, aka, profits. And pass-thru corporations are hardly affected at all.

Half the population - poorer half - pays no Fed taxes, so won't be affected by tax changes.

Mortgage tax deduction capped at $750k is a good start. Let's get it to ZERO like Canada.
Most middle class people do NOT carry jumbo mortgages; the well-off do and we shouldn't be subsidizing their debt service!

The standard deduction is doubling, which will benefit many who don't itemize and some of the minority who do.

Yes wealthier people will also save, but thats because they pay so much more in the agregate than other groups.

Is this tax bill the best for everyone? Of course not.
But it will simplify filing for many, reduce tax-distortion and hopefully puts a lid on runaway RE prices which have hurt renters terribly and exacerbated homelessness among the less affluent, especially in places like San Francicso, LA, Boston, et al.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:23 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
...PS .. nobody is 'paying for it'.
We haven't balanced a budget since a nanosecond during Bill Clinton's first term.

And the debt goes up endlessly, regardless of who is in power.

Keynsian economic theory is unrecognizable today, replaced by Modern Monetary Theory, which simply describes the current reality of funding deficits with never-ending new debt. We were at 20 trillion after Obama, and nobody cared a whit.

Read up on it.. and whether we like it or not, it's HERE TO STAY.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:13 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Rich people suck. Terrible excuses for human beings.
It’s not just because their rich but it’s because they’re rich.
People that milk the system suck too.
Screw it. Everybody sucks.
I’m just on an anti wealthy kick now because I’ve had to interact with these tool bags more frequently as of late.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:29 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Just read this -

"Last week, according to media reports, state officials in New York received calls from residents asking to pay their 2018 state, local and property taxes before Jan. 1 in an effort to claim the higher amount of deductions before the Republican tax bill takes effect.

In response, the U.S. Treasury Department issued guidance over the weekend saying that any pre-payments for 2018 tax liabilities would not be deductible on federal tax bills."

Old 12-18-2017, 01:42 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
just read this -

"last week, according to media reports, state officials in new york received calls from residents asking to pay their 2018 state, local and property taxes before jan. 1 in an effort to claim the higher amount of deductions before the republican tax bill takes effect.

In response, the u.s. Treasury department issued guidance over the weekend saying that any pre-payments for 2018 tax liabilities would not be deductible on federal tax bills."
lmfao!

Old 12-18-2017, 03:00 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Just read this -

"Last week, according to media reports, state officials in New York received calls from residents asking to pay their 2018 state, local and property taxes before Jan. 1 in an effort to claim the higher amount of deductions before the Republican tax bill takes effect.

In response, the U.S. Treasury Department issued guidance over the weekend saying that any pre-payments for 2018 tax liabilities would not be deductible on federal tax bills."
From what I was told, school taxes can be paid since you had the option to pay in FULL when the 1st half was due October 1st! I will be paying mine tomorrow, I have the money so it really doesn't matter if I pay it now or in April.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:05 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen1981 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee8L_NhNKyA

I like this guy, make it difficult for the town extortionists.
I don't like this guy. How valuable are the services provided to him and how much would he complain if they were reduced? Things like police and fire protection, infrastructure maintenance, garbage collection and educating his children.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:24 PM
exm exm started this thread

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
Hopefully this note at least helped a few folks. I understand people:
- Are not impacted due to AMT [ however, still want to check if it impacts your NYS return]
- Use escrow to pay for their taxes
- Pay less than $10k in taxes

For those who don't, Merry Christmas.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:11 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
From what I was told, school taxes can be paid since you had the option to pay in FULL when the 1st half was due October 1st! I will be paying mine tomorrow, I have the money so it really doesn't matter if I pay it now or in April.
Well we're gonna save paying the $5k for now since the AMT thing got us. But what's stated in the above quote should be true. Paying it all at once would've also been a slight discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island