Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 06:32 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Devils have Palmieri from Smithtown and Kincaid (who's awesome) from Farmingville.
Palmieri actually grew up in NJ, and learned the game there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Roller had been growing frantically in the mid 00's, but has stalled the last handful of years. Plenty still play at Skatesafe and Sportime, but ice is more popular in my opinion.
What about just out on the street where the cars are parked? In NJ, when Mighty Ducks came out, all the kids just found some dead end street with no cars, or even basketball courts, or some courtyard somewhere, and just brought some nets, and just played. No need to pay anyone for time or facility use.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
In the old days, when we had consistent real winters, we played on the frozen creeks and ponds. Then it got too warm and the government stepped in and said we couldn’t do that no more regardless.
In warmer weather we set up the garbage cans in the street for goals.
Every half hour to an hour...
“Car!”...
“Ok game on”.
On the block I grew up, impossible now.
Way too much traffic and way too many parked cars
Long Island has frozen creeks and ponds that are easily accessible.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:17 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
In the old days, when we had consistent real winters, we played on the frozen creeks and ponds. Then it got too warm and the government stepped in and said we couldn’t do that no more regardless.
In warmer weather we set up the garbage cans in the street for goals.
Every half hour to an hour...
“Car!”...
“Ok game on”.
On the block I grew up, impossible now.
Way too much traffic and way too many parked cars
..as they played ice hockey all weekend on ponds all over the south shore (and probably the rest of Long Island where available) and probably will all next weekend too.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:37 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Long Island has frozen creeks and ponds that are easily accessible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
..as they played ice hockey all weekend on ponds all over the south shore (and probably the rest of Long Island where available) and probably will all next weekend too.
Really? I'd love to know where. Especially near Nassau. Most are sumps that are fenced off and the ice has sticks and leaves all through it.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:40 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Really? I'd love to know where. Especially near Nassau. Most are sumps that are fenced off and the ice has sticks and leaves all through it.
I second that.

I know of the below places not sure if they are still being used. I play inside these days. Wouldn't mind some old school outdoor puck if it was available.

The lake/pond thing near All American in Massapequa,
CSH next to hatchery
Sump by Hicksville HS

Old 01-02-2018, 09:08 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Someone just posted a pic of themselves skating on the massapequa park preserve lake. Easily accessible along the bike path.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:00 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I second that.

I know of the below places not sure if they are still being used. I play inside these days. Wouldn't mind some old school outdoor puck if it was available.

The lake/pond thing near All American in Massapequa,
CSH next to hatchery
Sump by Hicksville HS
D'oh! After our posts, Newsday posted a pic today of guys skating in Hempstead Lake Park. Guess we need to step up our motivation, although playing indoors on a tuesday night at midnight is fairly motivated enough in my book!

Old 01-03-2018, 08:24 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
D'oh! After our posts, Newsday posted a pic today of guys skating in Hempstead Lake Park. Guess we need to step up our motivation, although playing indoors on a tuesday night at midnight is fairly motivated enough in my book!
I saw that picture wasn't sure where it was. I play on weekends except next week we agreed to a Tuesday game at 10ish!

Old 01-03-2018, 09:01 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Palmieri actually grew up in NJ, and learned the game there.
You're correct. I was told he was a LI boy, but it turns out he was only born here and then went to grow up in Dirty Jersey. Oh well, better than dying in NJ, which is redundant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island